• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Trans folk... check your mail, the checks are coming according to Dawkins

I love how so many of the big names of the Skeptical community just traded religious beliefs for Machiavellian conspiracy thinking, I mean at least religious theory is based on books and shit.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if he wanted people to learn 'the science', surely he could link to an academic article or other publication that backs up their rhetoric,

...right?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

Trans folk... check your mail, the checks are coming according to Dawkins

I love how so many of the big names of the Skeptical community just traded religious beliefs for Machiavellian conspiracy thinking, I mean at least religious theory is based on books and shit.

The "skeptical community" lost me when Sam Harris turned out to be an unscientific racist. At this point nothing suprises me.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Can I phone a friend to explain what a obscurantist logomachist is

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The science of.. every medical institution making it clear that trans identities are valid and based in science. The fossil that loves fossils is back talking gibberish again.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Does he even remember the stuff he wrote about biology or has this part of his brain rotten off?

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Dawkins and Harris are the most unscientific people out there. Science only applies when it benefits their world view. Go to hell both.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Any context? Like who is Kathleen Stock
University professor that joined the latest victim train after being called out on her transphobia. An open letter signed by other academics might give some context:

Philosophy Transphobia Letter

We are professional academic philosophers committed to the inclusion and acceptance of trans and gender non-conforming people, both in the public at large, and within philosophy in particular. We write to affirm our commitment to developing a more inclusive environment, disavowing the use of

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
dawkins tweets like he's trying to stretch his three page high school essay out to five pages

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Any context? Like who is Kathleen Stock

A TERF professor who quit her job because people didn't like her bigotry and then went on TV (multiple times) and to talk about how trans people and students cancelled her, and now she's got the might of the British Press behind her and idiots like Dawkins.

Oh btw she took a "job" with Bari Weiss' fake University

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
You know, when I was younger, if you'd asked me which celebrity guests I'd like to have at a dinner party, Dawkins, Gervais and Rowling would have been right up there with anyone.

I mean, I guess I couldn't have known back then, but I still feel like a fucking idiot now.

POOPLE

Aug 5, 2021
The Republic of Gamers
The honey guy?

original

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I wish TERFs would at least be honest and stop trying to dress up their bigotry as having any roots in science whatsoever. Never ceases to irk me as a biologist. Trans erasure is ahistorical, anti-scientific, and anti-humanistic.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
The reasoning part of his intellect has checked out a long time ago. It's all been replaced by grievance shit. This is just the next step.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dawkins went full anti-feminist quite some time ago when the reddit-y Atheist types embraced anti-feminism, so this doesn't shock me one bit.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Ironically for a scientist, Dawkins has for a long time made it very clear he's happy to replace one dogma with another.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
University professor that joined the latest victim train after being called out on her transphobia. An open letter signed by other academics might give some context:

Philosophy Transphobia Letter

We are professional academic philosophers committed to the inclusion and acceptance of trans and gender non-conforming people, both in the public at large, and within philosophy in particular. We write to affirm our commitment to developing a more inclusive environment, disavowing the use of

I do think it should be said that while the protesting against Stock was generally peaceful and imo justified, she did experience death threats that the police considered credible.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Sure sounds like he needs to read up on the latest science on the matter

I mean its tough for bigoted assholes to admit theyre wrong so i doubt he will, but still

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I do think it should be said that while the protesting against Stock was generally peaceful and imo justified, she did experience death threats that the police considered credible.
Yeah like, I don't support her thoughts obviously, but if I got death threats, masked people showed up at my door, posters with my name got hung up everywhere, I'd probably have quit my job too. It's not like a snowflake bailed at the first arguments against her. I wouldn't have joined a far right grift fake university, but still.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like, I don't support her thoughts obviously, but if I got death threats, masked people showed up at my door, posters with my name got hung up everywhere, I'd probably have quit my job too. It's not like a snowflake bailed at the first arguments against her. I wouldn't have joined a far right grift fake university, but still.

FBj15DbUYAc6fuS

You're talking about the lady who calls hanging up and displaying trans flags targeted harassment.

Dec 2, 2017
Where was this from? The only similar element I'd heard was the protest at the university where some students wore balaclavas.
From a quick google, it's possible they're confusing it with this, as this is all i can find about Kathleen stock and masked people

Three days before I'd met Stock, several dozen activists — purportedly students, their faces covered by masks and balaclavas — had staged a protest at the university's open day. Demanding her dismissal, they set off flares and held up banners reading "Stock Out" and "Terfs Out of Sussex".

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
From a quick google, it's possible they're confusing it with this, as this is all i can find about Kathleen stock and masked people
Had a look and found the same. Fairly big distance between students covering their face while protesting outside the university with pink and blue flares and some masked rando showing up at your front door.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
logowhat?

well anyway, can you really blame anyone for being an obscurantist when you're writing a 240 character message that has 0% space for you to explain yourself or present an argument with actual enough meaning be contested? if you're on twitter you are an obscurantist, twitter is literally systemic obscurantism

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Look I'm just gonna say there's more evidence for Jesus than that the trans people who protested Stock are paid agents of an anti-enlightenment society trying to destabilize the English language.

But thank you for your concern
The two have nothing to do with one another, which is why it's silly. It's equivalent to saying there's more evidence for Harry Potter than whatever new nonsense Rowling believes. The two aren't connected

but fuck Dawkins and Rowling

Status
Not open for further replies.