• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I understand that Halo Infinite was built initially for the Xbox One, but what was shown yesterday was honestly not next gen. Considering that Halo is going to be the main launch title of the Xbox Series X, it needed to look better than current open world games. What made me reach this conclusion is that Death Stranding, an open world game developed for current gen machines looks like this on a PC with a 2080 TI. In fact these are not the graphics we should expect to define the next gen, we should expect much better(later on at least)

44F0Mbs.jpg

The rest of the video is here and is honestly impressive from a graphical perspective.

Due to some feeedback, I've decided to add GTA V at 4k Ultra with 4k textures to show what is possible in terms of fidelity. This is a game that was initially developed for the seventh generation of gaming and looks next gen running at 4k 60 on a 2080 TI. It's an open world game as well and we should expect Halo Infinite to look next gen (I'm just being honest here not trying to bash anything or undermine the great work the guys at 343 have put in thus far).

XxI1Qgq.png

ULodjRm.png

I understand that it's been tough due to Covid but the XSX deserves justice. I have never seen a new gen where the main console defining game looked worse than games from the previous generation. Hopefully Halo Infinite will look much better once the game is released but what was shown at the XGS game showcase was to be very honest, not next gen. I had other issues with the show but this was my main one. Maybe with the few months remaining they can upgrade the fidelity. We need the XSX to win as well the PS5 to usher us into the next generation of gaming.

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Infinite's art direction looks much more appealing to me than Death Stranding.

I'm of the mind that if someone doesn't think the Xbox Series X or the PS5 or whatever isn't pushing gaming to the next level then... don't buy them. If you think the games look too similar to the ones we have now and graphics are your biggest selling point, shouldn't you be happy that you don't need to drop who knows how much money on a new box?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The graphics did little for me. But you know what? That's fine. I wish we stopped putting so much focus on graphics anyway. I just want a Halo with a fun campaign and a plot that isn't braindead.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decima Engine on the PS5 🤤.

But yeah, Death Stranding PC version is bonkers.

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding has better art direction than Halo too. Halo didn't look bad to me but it certainly didn't look like a selling point for XSX. Hell, Gears 5 looks better!

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if AC Vikings ends up looking better, something weird is going on with Halo.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Based on the previous in-engine trailer, the hype around Halo and the apparently monstrous budget I was honestly expecting to see something that would challenge The Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima in terms of graphical fidelity, at least in the cutscenes.

So wait, was the version of Halo they showed with raytracing or this is the pre-patch version that'll be available at launch?

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the previous in-engine trailer, the hype around Halo and the apparently monstrous budget I was honestly expecting to see something that would challenge The Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima in terms of graphical fidelity, at least in the cutscenes.

So wait, was the version of Halo they showed with raytracing or this is the pre-patch version that'll be available at launch?
It had no ray tracing. It seems to be a straight port of the xbone game that was in development for 5 years so I wouldn't be surprised if the assets were never even made for next gen.

We'll see over the next few months/couple years depending on how they'll roll out graphical updates.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Not sure Death Stranding is a good comparison. It looks worse than Destiny 2 for sure, based on the trailer. Clearly a current gen game.

Aug 23, 2018
Graphics will be fine. Game will be a blast to play. It's an open world Halo with a grappling hook for Christmas sake. 60 FPS/4K open world on a game like halo sounds like the ideal graphical settings to me. Death stranding is a game with more walking than combat at 30 FPS, not exactly a great comparison.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
People talk about about graphics, but at least Halo is 60 fps.

I wish more developers pushed for better frame rate rather than graphics imo.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to a tech analysis of the 4k video. I wonder if Digital Foundry will do a comparison with Halo 5.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
To me Halo is suppose to be the flagship game of the Xbox, meaning it should have the best visual, animation, sounds and all the shiny stuff.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people so down on the graphics of the new Halo game? Who comes to a Halo game for the graphics? If the gameplay is good, who cares?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Infinite it's clear the development has been troubled.

Add on that making a more open world isn't exactly easy ON TOP of making a robust multiplayer suite and yeah, it's a lot to encompass.

I think the biggest issue is 4k/60FPS being a requirement.

If the game was targeting 30FPS it would likely have much better graphics, but it is what it is.

Dec 11, 2017
To me Halo is suppose to be the flagship game of the Xbox, meaning it should have the best visual, animation, sounds and all the shiny stuff.
Halo 3 didn't when it released. It had good lighting but ran sub-HD with only decent graphics.

I'd argue the only Halo game that had great graphics at the time it was released was Halo 4, the least fun Halo to play.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Might be kind of unfair to look at that 114 fps and think that consoles should be able to hit 4K60, DLSS provides massive performance gains and it's a 2080 Ti.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so down on the graphics of the new Halo game? Who comes to a Halo game for the graphics? If the gameplay is good, who cares?

Because the trailers showed up to this point promised something eyeball melting.

Because Series X is the most powerful console.

Because what we saw of Hellblade 2 was apparently running in real time and was eyepopping.

Because Halo Infinite is the flagship game for Series X and we thought through scaling that at least the Series X version would be fairly spectacular.

But mostly because after the PS5 conference where some people felt disappointed at the lack of obvious next gen jump, people deluded themselves into thinking Xbox was going to be show truly next gen graphical benchmarks and it missed the mark quite widely.

JaegerDeus

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
There are current gen games that have better art direction than Halo Infinite, certainly.

Death Stranding is absolutely, 100% NOT one of those games.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an unfair comparison. Death Stranding was designed to run at 30 fps on a 1.84 tflops gpu. Halo Infinite is designed to run at a 1.3 tflops GPU at 60 fps. Of course it will look worse.

Xbox Infinite could be running on a 100 tflops Xbox 20 at 16k 240 fps and it will still never look as good as a 30 fps game like RDR2 on xbox one.

I think the conversation needs to be about whether or not 60 fps is worth it or not. Everyone on this forum wants 60 fps on console. Well, this is literally the only open world shooter running at 60 fps on xbox one. This is what you wanted. It's extremely unfair to be unleashing this level of vitriol at a dev who is giving you exactly what you wanted. People need to finally come to an understanding that pushing framerate is always going to hurt graphics. Which is why I am completely against 60 fps on consoles. I will buy a PC for 60 fps.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm less concerned about the graphical quality as I am about the fact that the game looks like it needs many, many more months of development. It looks nowhere near ready.

And graphics are a symptom of that. Look at the 2018 target footage. They missed the mark so hard, it's painfully obvious they are desperately trying to make the launch even though the game is not ready. It's one of the most staggeringly public displays of a game that's severely behind schedule that I've seen.

Nov 8, 2017
Doom Eternal looks great and runs at 60fps. The environments aren't as expansive, but they're not tiny either, and for a next gen showcase presumably this should have been possible to top. Gears 5 looks really good and runs at 60fps on X1X, while having fairly large open areas. Again - I understand it's not apples:apples in every area in terms of ambition, but it's a next gen console that Infinite is being used to spearhead.

If Infinite is running at 60fps on base XBO, that might go a long way to explaining why it looks a bit underwhelming. It's not bad, it's just not a top tier stunner, and they spent way too long dwelling on one of the weaker points of the game - the face rendering on Brutes.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Halo 3 didn't when it released. It had good lighting but ran sub-HD with only decent graphics.

I'd argue the only Halo game that had great graphics at the time it was released was Halo 4, the least fun Halo to play.

Sure but why not though? That's like if TLOU2 didn't have minding blowing graphics that pushes the limit of what the PS4 can do.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Ghost of Tsushima looks better than anything I saw today. But Halo was clearly coming up short visually.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'll still take the 60fps.

Also build from today is 7 months old, hopefully they show something more recent

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I dont really care about halo, but they already said they are working on rtx for it. This is what rtx does for minecraft of all games.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Death Stranding has better art direction than Halo too. Halo didn't look bad to me but it certainly didn't look like a selling point for XSX. Hell, Gears 5 looks better!

Exactly Gears 5 looked better as well.

Exactly! I was expecting something jaw dropping.

I think this version doesn't have ray tracing!

The graphics did little for me. But you know what? That's fine. I wish we stopped putting so much focus on graphics anyway. I just want a Halo with a fun campaign and a plot that isn't braindead.

But then if we didn't put some emphasis on graphics you'd be okay with playing Halo Infinite an an Xbox 360. You need to improve the graphics as the GPUs increase in performance. It's what defines generations the most. At least for the rest of us that care about such things.

I'm looking forward to a tech analysis of the 4k video. I wonder if Digital Foundry will do a comparison with Halo 5.
Me too. I think by the time they release the game it will look different!

Ghost of Tsushima looks better than anything I saw today. But Halo was clearly coming up short visually.

I was honestly surprised but they should be able to do something better.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding looks like trash. Not really the best comparison. Only interesting looking part of the game is the ww1-like portion of the game

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I dont really care about halo, but they already said they are working on rtx for it. This is what rtx does for minecraft of all games.

Now, I would assume most AAA games will not be using ray-tracing to the same extent Minecraft will, correct? Like, with path-tracing and all. It absolutely transforms Minecraft into something beautiful, but most devs seem to be doing things like ray-traced reflections.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
You should compare it Destiny 2, which will look absolutely bonkers on next gen at 4K/60 going by that short trailer.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that Halo Infinite was built initially for the Xbox One, but what was shown yesterday was honestly not next gen. Considering that Halo is going to be the main launch title of the Xbox Series X, it needed to look better than current open world games. What made me reach this conclusion is that Death Stranding, an open world game developed for current gen machines looks like this on a PC with a 2080 TI. In fact these are not the graphics we should expect to define the next gen, we should expect much better(later on at least)

44F0Mbs.jpg

The rest of the video is here and is honestly impressive from a graphical perspective.

I understand that it's been tough due to Covid but the XSX deserves justice. I have never seen a new gen where the main console defining game looked worse than games from the previous generation. Hopefully Halo Infinite will look much better once the game is released but what was shown at the XGS game showcase was to be very honest, not next gen. I had other issues with the show but this was my main one. Maybe with the few months remaining they can upgrade the fidelity. We need the XSX to win as well the PS5 to usher us into the next generation of gaming.
Infinite looks much better, dense in activity and opportunity, DS is empty and static in comparison.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I don't want to sound mean, but Gears of Wars 5 looks better than Halo Infinite. And its a whole previous gen game, and it also runs at 60FPS.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I mean, if any of the current PS4 games were to be developed for a 12 TERAFLOPS console,

They would pretty much all looked better than Halo infinite. All of them - TLOU2, Tsushima, Sipder Man, God of War, you name it. They all run on a 2TF console.

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
Why compare graphics of game that's out to a game that's still months away and still being worked on also come one DS is mostly empty world game lol

Status
Not open for further replies.