• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Housemarque's Returnal Launch post

Sounds like Housemarque has had a long and challenging but fulfilling journey making this game. I hope Sony, as big a publisher as they are, continue to invest in projects like this. They may not have mass market appeal, but it is worth giving the time and budget to games that have such a strong creative vision, especially when the team behind it has proven talent.

Other snippets from the post:
When we started our pre-production of the game almost exactly four years ago...we never would have imagined how big a production we eventually would be making. Looking back, it's almost incomprehensive to think that we were working on four (!) different projects and we only had 50 people in-house at the time! We were finalizing two different projects, Nex Machina and Matterfall, prototyping and experimenting with a multiplayer project we later named Stormdivers and were starting a small pre-production of a totally new game.

Although we managed to release one of the best reviewed new game of 2017 according to metacritic, we were certainly left disappointed with the sales leading me to declare #arcadeisdead and ending our long standing commitment to the arcade genre. Giving up on the genre didn't mean that we'd be giving up on our deep commitment to fast-twitch action gameplay. Instead, we wanted to take on the challenge to figure out how we could translate our arcade 2D gameplay expertise into a 3rd person action game. On the other hand, it was still very uncertain, if we'd be able to move past the prototype phase and convince Sony to keep on funding a new, unproved concept. The concept was ridiculously ambitious and looking back we as a company really weren't totally appreciating the challenge ahead of us and how hard it could be to tackle it.

Shipping games is hard, shipping games that are bigger, more ambitious than the company has ever delivered before featuring things that we've never done in our previous games, like translating Housemarque arcade gameplay from 2D to 3rd person action and adding substantial storytelling elements, is even harder. We also added quite a few new wonderful people in the team growing up to 75 game developers internally at the same time and tried to figure out how to produce a game of this scope.

There's a bit more at the link.
The game was in development for 4 years, 2 years before that it was in concept phase. Not only did they make something new and different but they also had to adapt to the challenges of finishing and releasing a huge project like this in the midst of an ongoing pandemic with COVID-19.

What Housemarque has accomplished is truly special. They played to their strengths but also made something so new and took on many creative risks. And were able to release a crticically acclaimed game at the end of it.

This story also highlights a growing pattern I'm seeing from Playstation, where they are investing a lot of time and money into studios to create something new, something out of their previous wheelhouse.
They did it with the Days Gone team, they did it with Guerrilla making Horizon, Sucker Punch making Tsushima, and now Housemarque with Returnal.

I hope this kind of investing in new, different IP continues, even with studios that have to tackle something they've never done before. So far I'd say its paying off.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
They're an awesome team and I really hope this release is a huge success for them, I won't be buying it at launch because I just can't pay $70 right now but I look forward to picking it up when I can. Loved all of their previous work. Hope the game and a few of their other releases comes to pc some day.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
I hope it does well for them. I pre-ordered despite being extremely lukewarm on pre-ordering at the new $70 price point, strictly because I'm a sucker for Roguelikes and Housemarque has never disappointed. Excited to stay up way too late tonight playing!

OP
OP
SuperBoss

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it does well for them. I pre-ordered despite being extremely lukewarm on pre-ordering at the new $70 price point, strictly because I'm a sucker for Roguelikes and Housemarque has never disappointed. Excited to stay up way too late tonight playing!

I understand the trepidation about the price but i think for this game the value is certainly there. Have fun playing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.