• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The irony that the video's thesis is "make Presidents great again" isn't lost on me lol

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Evilness is better when you're able to hide it behind the guise "decency", is the gist of this message in reality, i suppose.

A more progressive America will never exist if the bar is as low as this.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Moderate republicans don't think so.
If Biden wins, The Lincoln Project will have been to some extent instrumental.
clearly missed the point

And the people these ads are targeting don't think of Bush or Reagan as villans even if you think the former should be in jail for war crimes.
it's bad to normalize bad things when the people it buys you are totally unnecessary

they're using the lib furor around the election to launder their reputation

that's bad lmao

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I know a lot of people will harp on Reagan and Bush being in the ad but the point is that is to show that Trump can't even speak properly to the country during a crisis.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
2/4 were bigger historical villans even if they treated the office with more respect. This lincoln project shit is getting tired
Welp, you've convinced me. I'm voting for Trump now!

Voters have a matrix of things they find important or are motivated by, and that is different for every voter. Some section of voters are highly motivated by not having Trump's buffoonery in the news every day, or having Presidents that seem aspirational. Their votes count as much against Trump as anyone else's, so if this helps convince them then let's take it.

Dec 31, 2017
Listen if whitewashing Reagan and Bush on TV gets republicans to vote for Biden, fuck it.
Also this is cut like the trailer for TFA lol.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this? Are we really going to make these two rasict look good? Like God damn have a backbone. Yeah I rather site with two wolves and sheep clothing name an actual Wolf come on white people

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I know a lot of people will harp on Reagan and Bush being in the ad but the point is that is to show that Trump can't even speak properly to the country during a crisis.
as opposed to someone better at pretending they care while the state leaves people to suffer anyway? I'm not seeing it.

Welp, you've convinced me. I'm voting for Trump now!

Voters have a matrix of things they find important or are motivated by, and that is different for every voter. Some section of voters are highly motivated by not having Trump's buffoonery in the news every day, or having Presidents that seem aspirational. Their votes count as much against Trump as anyone else's, so if this helps convince them then let's take it.
What a horrible take. This ad will work on the people who are actually the audience for it.

www.thebeaverton.com

Freethinker! This woman found a way to criticize Trump that didn’t involve celebrating a war criminal

Genius Mode Activated! Local woman Marla Bach has written a whole facebook post criticizing Donald Trump without ever once praising George W. Bush, a man who should definitely be sent to prison forever.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
No you don't understand, Biden stands no chance of winning if we don't whitewash monsters
Who is "we"? Are "we" creating these ads? No. "They" are. How do some of you still not grasp who these people are and what they're doing.

Ronald Reagan intentionally ignored the AIDS crisis, and by doing so killed far more people than Trump has with Covid so far. So fuck off with that bullshit.

No shit. This ad isn't for us.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Doing God's work.

Reagan and Bush were both shit too. But if this approach works to get us Biden and the Senate then so be it.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
So a president leads by dressing themselves in noble and Democratic values, while committing war crime after war crime in a part of the world they have no fuckin business being in? yeah fuck this ad.

Fantastic reminder that this country gives no fucks about the blood of my people or really anyone that lives in the part of the world where my family and loved ones come from/still live in.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The goal is to get rid of Trump.

...and to do that we need to whitewash Bush and Reagan's crimes?

Listen if whitewashing Reagan and Bush on TV gets republicans to vote for Biden, fuck it.

...I'm sorry but what the shit? Reagan and Bush are war criminals. Reagan committed genocide by purposefully ignoring the AIDS crisis and trying to imply it was God's punishment. Bush's crimes are just as horrific.

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who is "we"? Are "we" creating these ads? No. "They" are. How do some of you still not grasp who these people are and what they're doing.
Lmao dude you came into this thread to defend the ad from people criticizing this garbage, we is people who don't want trump as president. I wish it included people who firmly reject the whitewashing of monsters but I guess it's a bit too much

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Lmao dude you came into this thread to defend the ad from people criticizing this garbage, we is people who don't want trump as president. I wish it included people who firmly reject the whitewashing of monsters but I guess it's a bit too much
Who's arguing Bush and Reagan weren't awful? We want their votes, and then they can fuck right off.

And...that means we need to praise it here? What racist right-wing republican is browsing on Era right now?

Praise it, despise it. Do whatever you want. Just dont discourage them from what they're doing. And once Trump is defeated, dispose of them.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

No shit. This ad isn't for us.
Right, this is an ad by Republicans, for Republicans. If anything, showing Clinton and Obama in a favorable light will be damaging to their message.

Republicans aren't going to come out and spend their own money with ads that say, "You know what, every Republican President since at least Nixon has sucked shit so never vote Republican again!" We can let them use their resources on these and still do our own thing.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck even have his white supremacy ass content on this site?

Last edited:

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
it's bad to normalize bad things when the people it buys you are totally unnecessary

that's bad lmao

It's essentially gaslighting. Then again, Obama was saying this about war criminal Dubya just a day ago so whatever:

President Barack Obama on George W. Bush: "My predecessor, who I disagreed with on a whole host of issues, still had a basic regard for the rule of law."

And people wonder how the country has slid so far right since the realignment post Civil Rights Era. Probably has to do with Dems normalizing all the bullshit that comes out of the right for the past 4 decades.

And I can't wait for when we're faced with a worse monster than Trump amidst the throes of climate change, and liberals do the whole "well Trump wasn't thaaaaat bad. Hell, he was even a registered Democrat at 1 point! Plus he was too stupid to be truly effective" spiel.

America is not a good country.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whose arguing Bush and Reagan weren't awful? We want their votes, and then they can fuck right off.

Praise it, despise it. Do whatever you want. Just dont discourage them from what they're doing. And once Trump is defeated, dispose of them.

I didn't realize me complaining about these ads content is somehow directly discouraging them.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Right, this is an ad by Republicans, for Republicans. If anything, showing Clinton and Obama in a favorable light will be damaging to their message.

Republicans aren't going to come out and spend their own money with ads that say, "You know what, every Republican President since at least Nixon has sucked shit so never vote Republican again!" We can let them use their resources on these and still do our own thing.
Lots of people who voted Trump voted for Bush Jr , Clinton and Obama. That is why they picked those presidents. This is not rocket science

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

that's bad lmao
No you don't understand, Biden stands no chance of winning if we don't whitewash monsters

so 1 someone can be a good leader in a time of crises and still be an asshole, monster whatever
2 the majority of people think reagan was a good president so is it really white washing if people already believe this? Like just last week someone i follow on twitter was like holy shit i just read up on reagan and he might be the most damaging president in x amount of years.

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who's arguing Bush and Reagan weren't awful? We want their votes, and then they can fuck right off.

thehill.com

Poll: Majority of Dems has favorable view of George W. Bush

A slim majority of Democrats in the United States hold a somewhat or very favorable view of President George W. Bush, according to a new Economist-YouGov poll.
Maybe things like obama palling around with him and this kind of ad is not such a good thing huh

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh neat, we whitewashin' war criminals here.

Yeah fuck this. Disregarding my criticisms of the two Dems here, Ronald Reagan fucking destroyed America's workers, along with a whole host of awful shit. And George W. Bush tortured prisoners of war, and he falsified intelligence to start a war with Iraq, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands. He should be in the Hague for fuck's sake.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
What in the world does "will work" mean? Biden was leading in every swing state before this ad was made. If he wins it won't be because of the work of a conservative think tank.
It isn't just about winning by any margin though, if you really want to root out the toxicity that the Republican Party introduced to politics (and just to be clear, obviously the Democrats aren't perfect either, but the modern GOP is just batshit insanity and pure evil mixed into one), Biden needs to run up the score. That involves winning the votes of conservatives who might not be comfortable with Trump but aren't sold on Biden, either.

If all ("all") Biden does is sweep the swing states and comes out of November with a 50-50 Senate tied majority, bully for us as it would still represent a significant improvement to the status quo, but the more states and districts they win, the better legislation they'll get passed, the more Democrats will be insulated from a bad midterm year in 2022, etc. Lincoln Project is already playing in states like Iowa or Montana where Biden doesn't really need to win, but there are competitive Senate elections that would strengthen a Democratic majority and diminish McConnell's power if they flip.

I'm no fan of Reagan or Bush, but I'm not the target audience here. Right now, Trump's disapproval rating stands at 55.2% (going by FiveThirtyEight averages here), but Biden is only (again, "only") winning 50.6% of the vote. That 4.6% that disapproves of Trump but isn't going for Biden (yet)? That's who these ads are for. And that 4.6% can make all the difference between Joe Manchin having veto power or objecting uselessly from the sidelines while Democrats pass new green energy laws, fairer immigration policies, student loan debt forgiveness, a public option for healthcare, etc. etc.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.