• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I was only about nine when 30 Rock first aired in 2006, so I'm finally getting around to watching this show. However, I'm not really sure what people found so appealing about this show.

It really feels like the whole thing is awful people doing and saying awful things. Seinfeld had a similar comedic style, but it at least has decent timing, the element of karma, and the overdramatic acting. This show kind of feels like a waiting for something to happen, only for it to never happen.

Would love to hear why y'all think this show was liked, or why y'all liked the show.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Re-watched it all last month and it's still great.
It's one of those shows I would wish it was still on the air when Trump became president because they would surely write something about him and Jack Donaghy.
Oh and Tina Fey is amazing.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Why does it bother you?

It doesn't.

"Why do people like something I don't? "

It's less so "why" and more "what about it did they like."

It's secretly The Muppet Show

This is actually a really helpful answer, I can totally see the comparison.

Interestingly enough I loved The Muppet Show and wish the 2016 version didn't get cancelled.

Dec 22, 2017
Jack Donaghy is one of the greatest sitcom characters of all time, that's why.

Jenna and Tracy end up playing off one another really well. And Tina Fey is one of the queens of comedy. And I haven't even mentioned Kenneth!!

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to say it's awful people doing awful things. The characters are often ridiculous but not (usually) awful. The show has a really cartoonish vibe but it keeps just enough of its toes in reality that you care about the characters.

Also, like many shows, I don't think it had really found its groove in season 1 if that's all you've watched so far.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was going to be about 3rd Rock from the Sun, never saw 30 rock, so I can't comment.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Jack Donaghy is one of the greatest sitcom characters of all time, that's why.

Jenna and Tracy end up playing off one another really well. And Tina Fey is one of the queens of comedy. And I haven't even mentioned Kenneth!!

Jack is definitely the star of the show for me. Something about the whole "angel sent down to Earth" vibe is both unique and handled well.
It's weird to say it's awful people doing awful things. The characters are often ridiculous but not (usually) awful. The show has a really cartoonish vibe but it keeps just enough of its toes in reality that you care about the characters.

Also, like many shows, I don't think it had really found its groove in season 1 if that's all you've watched so far.

Definitely think I'll watch a few episodes of the other seasons and see if it gets better, I've heard this sentiment among other folks too.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The ratings were always terrible, the show was on the bubble of always getting cancelled but critics loved it. So if you liked it you were a hipster, if you didn't like it you were a pleb

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
30 Rock was a great show. Still is, even if the real world has become so bizarre that much of the political humour in the show is starting to seem cute rather than absurd. I love how dense the show feels in terms of jokes. There's so much going on at all times, and it's a nice mix of references, politics, slapstick and whatever else.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
It really feels like the whole thing is awful people doing and saying awful things.
giphy.gif

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It was/is hysterical. Easily in my top 5 comedies. I wouldn't say they're awful people. The show has a warm silly vibe that is really nice.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The writing is just top notch, and the performances elevate it. It's just good actors delivering good material. They throw a lot of jokes out, a lot of them layered on top of each other, and even if they're not all gold their hit rate is pretty high.

Status
Not open for further replies.