• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
First allegations came out in 2017. He was hit again earlier this year and is being hit right now, then turns out someone noticed she was still hanging out with landis. They were friends before -

But a redditor who follows both of them said -

cut to the post #metoo movement, when Max was pubblicy outed by many womeb and people who knew him, retired from twitter and moved to instagram and they stopped publicy interacting but would still pop up in each other's instagram stories here and there, they still follow each others and she never spoke about him

6C49Tdx.jpg

I didn't know they had any connection at all, but if you look them up you see people that follow them talking about how they were still friends as recently as 3 months ago.

I feel weird about it, obviously I don't know either of these people but I'm pretty surprised Jenny of all people would be hanging out with someone with that many accusations being leveled at them... Maybe I'm being unfair. I've been pretty good about avoiding undesirables on youtube but people like Jenny and Lindsay Ellis I really like so this caught me really off guard. Even Red Letter Media severed ties with Max way way back AFAIK

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know who she is, but I read this in the original thread. I find it uncomfortable to be questioning the friendship of a woman to a serial abuser when so many women have publicially stated that they were personally convinced and gaslit that Landis was a good person and nice guy, defended him, then realized they themselves were victims. So instead of her being a possible victim, she a possible person to cancel. LIke you could make this same thread about any of the women he was actually dating who have come out later as victims, thank god you didn't at the time they were defending him. I don't know whether she is a victim or not, but playing "six degress of max landis" is a shitshow.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i never cared for jenny if im being honest, but i dont particularly mind her being friends with max, that doesn't interest me all that much

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna judge her, but I wouldn't want him in any show I watch...

RLM dropped him fast, and I don't think they even mentioned his name since the initial allegations. As did other channels. So, yeah, it's a little puzzling.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
People refuse to accept that their friends can be creeps.

Case on point, look at all the normally outwardly progressive movie critics that defended Devin Faraci back when he turned out to be a creep.

It's easy to condem someone like Harvey Weinstein who most people didn't know his name unless they were deep I to movies, but harder when it's somone who people know and like who's such a piece of shit.

Oct 26, 2017
This "guilty by association" thing needs to stop. People can't be expected to instantly remove anyone from their lives. People are complicated, relationships are complicated. It doesn't mean that they endorse or approve of or take part in everything the other person has done.

* I know nothing about these two particular people, just my general response to this idea.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
All i know about her is that she makes some pretty funny youtube videos. Nothing about that ever told me what her stance was on the metoo movement, so I can't say I'm surprised she is hanging out with someone who is accused of being an abuser. Just because someone makes youtube videos you like doesn't mean they'll hold all the same political positions as you.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't know who she is, but I read this in the original thread. I find it uncomfortable to be questioning the friendship of a woman to a serial abuser when so many women have publicially stated that they were personally convinced and gaslit that Landis was a good person and nice guy, defended him, then realized they themselves were victims. So instead of her being a possible victim, she a possible person to cancel. LIke you could make this same thread about any of the women he was actually dating who have come out later as victims, thank god you didn't at the time they were defending him. I don't know whether she is a victim or not, but playing "six degress of max landis" is a shitshow.

Pretty much.

The number of people who've been friends with Landis warning women who are currently his friend, tells me that this is a bit of a cycle for Landis, and Jenny is probably just early on in it. We've just heard from people who defended him last time around, outing his shitty behavior this time around. People trapped in an abusive relationship (or friendship etc) often don't see it for a good while. If anything we should be hoping for Jenny to see the truth and get to safety, not crapping on her for getting sucked in by Landis's bullshit as so many others have.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing the aligations against Max should prove, it's that he's very good at getting women to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think we should throw her under the bus just because he's a fantastic manipulator.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
After this most recent round of accusations, which were presumably made by people she had a much higher chance of knowing as well given the time frame she was hanging out with him, she stopped following him on Instagram, right? It seems like she might be realizing what he really is around the same time as others. I'm less angry at her than I am concerned at this point, given the long term emotional abuse and manipulation described as something he does with all of his friends, not just the people he's dating.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
This random woman can hang out with whoever the fuck she wants. It's none of my business.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
We don't really know her.

With that being said pretty much everyone that's spoke of his abuse has mentioned the gaslighting so it's quite possible it happened to her too.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, she needs to run all her friends by me and i will tell her which ones she can hang out with.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we doing the internet mob hit on a woman who has literally done nothing publicly wrong, made no objectionable content and who's personal life is unknown to us and none of our business?

I mean, what are we even doing here?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
After this most recent round of accusations, which were presumably made by people she had a much higher chance of knowing as well given the time frame she was hanging out with him, she stopped following him on Instagram, right? It seems like she might be realizing what he really is around the same time as others. I'm less angry at her than I am concerned at this point, given the long term emotional abuse and manipulation described as something he does with all of his friends, not just the people he's dating.

If she was following him on Instagram then she isn't now. Which kinda nullifies the entire concept of the thread. A concept that was strange in general since Jenny has never been anything even remotely problematic.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
she should be dragged, but not cancelled

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Is Youtube her main job? She doesn't have that many videos on her channel. Maybe she hosts stuff like in the OP? It just seems hard to diagnose and peer into the internal motivations and rationale of someone fairly obscure.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
she should be dragged
No.

Is Youtube her main job? She doesn't have that many videos on her channel. Maybe she hosts stuff like in the OP? It just seems hard to diagnose and peer into the internal motivations and rationale of someone fairly obscure.
She's a perfectly nice, progressive person who likes making hilarious but niche videos about terrible self-published fiction and theme parks. And porgs.

Her Twitter is also funny.

She has a lot of cred/clout with YouTubers like Lindsay Ellis, Folding Ideas, etc

Oct 25, 2017
Abusers survive by convincing people who would otherwise be alert that they're decent people. It's how they find victims in the first place. I don't think we should be judging those taken in by them.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Not super comfortable with dragging anyone remotely associated with Landis. Super weird to even bring it up, as if you know the dynamic.

Are we doing the internet mob hit on a woman who has literally done nothing publicly wrong, made no objectionable content and who's personal life is unknown to us and none of our business?

I mean, what are we even doing here?

Exactly how I feel, this shit is getting out of hand. Roiland hired JonTron, that's fair game. This? Not so much.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This "guilty by association" thing needs to stop. People can't be expected to instantly remove anyone from their lives. People are complicated, relationships are complicated. It doesn't mean that they endorse or approve of or take part in everything the other person has done.

* I know nothing about these two particular people, just my general response to this idea.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
She rules; he's trash. I'm not going to judge her by association though. Friendships And acquaintancships are complicated. I don't vibe with the guilty-by-association thing.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm more concerned about you than her, OP. Please send me a list of your friends along with CVs, we need to talk.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Max Landis seems to be trash by all accounts, I'm not overly familiar with the guy, but I'm not grabbing the internet pitchforks against this woman for pure association

The thread seems a little in poor taste to me

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont care about either of them frankly. I dont watch Jenny's youtube videos and Landis' work is mediocre and it seems he oinly ever got into the industry due to nepotism, so him being kicked out over the accusations only makes the industry better in both getting rid of a hack and an abuser.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I'm only 25 but I guess that's too old to think of """youtubers""" the same as I do other celebrities.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
On the plus side, everyone who's wondering who Jenny is, watch this:

She slays me. I found out about her because someone recently posted her Avatar theme park vid, and I've been working through her uploads ever since.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
She should pay a $10 fine and we'll be ok.
NEXT!

(This thread makes me uncomfortable. At least I'm glad I'm not the only one.)

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
What the OP is trying to do in making this thread is why I fucking despise "cancel" culture and modern day guilt by (often times) tenuous association. It is all about getting that dopamine hit by drumming up the internet hate mob and reveling in it to tear someone down.

Status
Not open for further replies.