• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2020
Rugby Warwickshire England
Just from what I have seen on twitter, I know not the source to know how people feel about a thing, many people, even people on the left, have very varying opinions about Owen, so I wanted to see how others feel about him.

In general I agree with him and his viewpoints, especially on LGBTQIA+ folk, so I think he is really good, but how about you guys?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There are people on the left who like Owen's journalism.

And then there are the centre-right of Labour and TERFs, who do not.

Is this thread in good faith?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't know much about him but it's usually the melts who don't like his stuff so he must be doing something right.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I have never heard of him, but from the OP I am assuming he's an Op Ed writer or Pundit of some sort, so I think the same thing I think of him as I think of anyone else who does that for a living: I don't think of them at all or care what they think and don't understand why anyone else does

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's despised by the very worst people in Britain (TERFs, Conservatives, homophobes, the Labour right, etc.).
Who are the people on the left who have strongly negative opinions of him you are referring to?

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like him.

He gets a lot of criticism on Twitter, but the bulk of it (from all angles) is made in bad faith from what I've observed.

He's also quite willing to engage with those criticisms (usually by rubbishing them), which is more than can be said for a lot of other journalists on there.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Didn't know who he was so i twitter searched the name, and literally the people who are ANTI him are the "PC Anti Woke, Flag in Bio, LOTS of Bad Faith, you get where im going with this right?" so yeah

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
He's despised by the very worst people in Britain (TERFs, Conservatives, homophobes, the Labour right, etc.).
Who are the people on the left who have strongly negative opinions of him you are referring to?

I don't have much time for him, but I don't despise him. He's a vocal supporter of LGBTQI+ causes, which is to his credit, but he also often tweets without getting his facts straight and ends up looking like a tit.

rustymonk

Oct 28, 2017
I've followed and respected him since he wrote his first book, the demonisation of the working class. I think he's a very genuine person who cares and tries, and that's a lot more than can be said for 99% of political journalists in the UK. And I respect that he's very engaged in trying to reach people and communicate a left perspective. Two thumbs up from me.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
How are you gonna make a thread about some rando writer and not provide any context whatsoever? Why not link to some writing you think is pertinent?

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much time for him, but I don't despise him. He's a vocal supporter of LGBTQI+ causes, which is to his credit, but he also often tweets without getting his facts straight and ends up looking like a tit.

Do you have some examples of these factually inaccurate tweets that made him look like a tit?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No articles, quotes, media of his at all. What kinda OP is this? Why make me do work?

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
He's an uncompromising progressive and accordingly a divisive figure in the Labour Party movement.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
Massive Brexiteer and Corbynista. Also gay and the victim of at least one hate crime. People are complicated.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

I found this after a few seconds of researching Owen Jones (which i said in my post a few posts above)
I've also seen discussion of this topic in various threads lately
I'm pretty sure LGBT Era might have more to say

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
Chavs was a good read and I think in retrospect played a decent part in getting younger me more involved in critically thinking about how the media presents people.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Never heard of him but I'm not British.
Also couldn't give you the name of a media/news personality so probably not your target audience.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
From what I read of his stuff he's good at what he does. I don't keep up on any of the twitter stuff so I don't know if he's any different there.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He seems fine, I think he can grate because he goes a mile a minute, actually cares about things that others want to ignore, everything would be fine if you didn't talk about it and the broader media seems to dislike him because he calls them out on being Tory backing tax dodgers. Maybe gets carried away with the purity of the left and doesn't see the forest for the trees sometimes, he does seem very passionate so gets carried away.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EoT42fBWMAEAFqH

EoT42fIWEAUrrOE

EoT42fIW8AAp_qY

EoT42fCWEAE5NCV

mAsSIvE bReXitEeR

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
How about we not have hate threads for random reporters?

Status
Not open for further replies.