• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2020
My parents will swear up and down that they're progressive but are anti-gay and anti-abortion under any circumstance and I've met many other "progressives" with similar views that I always have to give them a side eye.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
So they're what, pro UHC and regulation etc. but against social issues?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I know quite a few people who definitely hold progressive views on healthcare (socialized/free medicine) and education (higher ed should be free, you don't like your job? Cool, go back and get a degree in something else without the worry about debt) but not so progressive views on things like policing or LGBT (more so the T) rights/issues.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
How many users does ERA have?
Y1uz.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I know a few people who would fall apart as progressives if it came to specific issues, and honestly those specific things make them straight up bigots with how hard they go in.

Even amongst those of us who try to be consistent, no one is 100% perfect at this and anyone claiming to be is probably hiding something.

The best we can do is alway be open to learn and strive to do better.

Way to out yourself.

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
most people i know lose the mask once black people come into the conversation. like they kinda support black people during major moments like during the protests but have been fed bullshit about black people so much all there life that they cant stop falling back on it once the dust settles.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
i don't really frame it that way, but the number of people i know who call themselves progressives and would be better off just calling themselves liberal or centrist or center-left or something is quite high, yes

surely counting members of Era is cheating

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
"Progressive" is a pretty meaningless nomenclature. Setting aside the question of what is progressive and what isn't, the vast majority of people have not codified and seriously interrogated their personal beliefs for consistency, they just repeat what they've internalized through life. People are "progressive" until you catch them with a contradictory viewpoint.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Not sure. I did talk to this random bozo once at a bar who kept talking about how much of a liberal he was and at first it sounded accurate based on some of the political and social things we talked about but then the conversation was about Charlottesville and he said he'd rather run over a hippie than a nazi and I was like you're a fucking idiot, stop talking to me. There are a lot of wack ass leftists out there.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anyone that agrees with all progressives platforms, myself included. But most will state that as their political ideology, myself included. Not sure if that makes us fake.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Give it 20 years and we're all fake progressives. Those of you currently sneering from behind oversized square glasses at toxic things from the 90's will someday disgust the class of 2038.

Sounds like the progressives I've read about in history books. This recent generation of progressives are much better than the ones that came before imo.

Look upon your wokes, ye mighty, and despair.

But you know what? That's how it SHOULD be. That's why it's called progress.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
that poster is partially rite tbh. theres a reason many of the minorities here have either left or have had serious talks with mods over how this site is.
Not really anything of value though, anywhere like this will have it's fair share of people who could be called out like that.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between "fake progressive" and "not as progressive as I am"?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If I'm a communist, where do I rank on the progressive scale? Hypothetically.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why is it even necessary to label yourself as that though? I'm sure most people have views that are all over the spectrum.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I feel like gatekeeping who is and is not a "real progressive" can be pretty problematic and can cause infighting within groups that really shouldn't be trying to fight each other.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Almost no one is truly progressive in the sense people use the term.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm indifferent about the label myself. I'm a commie. It's vague, but as far as I can tell now, it's really just another name for social democrats, and social democracy is easier to ID. So I guess people with positions that conflict with social democracy while describing themselves as progressives would be the fake progressives.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like gatekeeping who is and is not a "real progressive" can be pretty problematic and can cause infighting within groups that really shouldn't be trying to fight each other.
That's the answer, it's a problem that needs to be addressed because as you see from some posts they would rather undermine and throw people under the bus for no reason.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
that poster is partially rite tbh. theres a reason many of the minorities here have either left or have had serious talks with mods over how this site is.
I just always find it ironic how seemingly every user on Era (including many in this thread) makes a hobby of saying that every one else on the site is not progressive enough (thereby implying that they are the Most Progressive).

Realtiy is that it's a pretty damn progressive site, but as with any group that includes humans, there are still blind spots to be addressed.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Being so "progressive" you are actually anti-progressive happens pretty often too which is hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.