• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much do you think a $399 PS5 Digital Edition would affect the sales of the Series S?

• It would cause major sales cannibalization

Votes: 59 29.6%
  • It would cause minor sales cannibalization

Votes: 61 30.7%
  • It would have no noticeable impact

Votes: 79 39.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
*in the markets where Xbox is actually competitive with PlayStation

At $299, the Xbox Series S is a great deal. For the same price as a Switch, you're getting a console with a next-gen CPU and SSD as well as a GPU that will, at minimum, perform similarly to that of the One X.

But what if Sony decides to price their digital-only model just as aggressively?

Let's say the PS5 DE costs $399 and is identical to the standard PS5 aside from its omission of a disc drive. For just $100 more, you're getting the following:
  • Truly next-gen GPU performance (10.3 TF as opposed to 4)
  • A much faster SSD that's ~300 GB larger
  • Access to Sony's revered first-party output
  • A genuinely innovative controller
We know from past launches that $399 is kind of the upper limit on what most people are willing to pay for a new console. Do you think consumers would be inclined to max out that limit given what Sony would be offering in exchange?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Would probably move the needle a tiny bit but I dunno if most people are willing to drop $399 just for an all-digital console. Anecdotal but people I know in real-life don't buy games digitally so they'd be looking at the standard PS5. Sony makes bank off of digital sales though so it makes sense they'd get something like this out.

I think $299 for the Series S is easier to suck up considering it's cheaper and you have access to Game Pass which is way better than PS Now, but at the same time, you've got what looks to be a weaker machine. It's a fair trade-off for entry into next-gen and the benefits of it will be way more noticable once cross-gen games stop being made and franchises like FIFA and CoD become next-gen only.

Feel these two consoles are in different lanes.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Depends. For me the S is the better deal because 1440p @ up to 120fps is killer because I can just hook it up to my monitors and away I go. The Series X to me now is the real tough sell.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I think if Sony genuinely wants to eat into SS sales, $399 is too high. They need $349 or lower.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
i might get series s for my next-gen FPS gaming machine. just please tell me i can adjust FOV lol

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I still only care about the games, and I haven't been swayed by either console so far. I would rather wait for the full price consoles to drop, probably a couple years.

Oct 29, 2017
I read the points that you get with PS5 and thought well Yeah it's 100$ more. I would hope you get those things. 299 is a possible amazing price because when a kid wants to just play Fortnite or whatever popular next-gen game that's out they will have the option for 299 vs 399 or more

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Xbox have more of a thriving digital ecosystem already with Game Pass than Sony do.

The lack of a disc drive is more of a loss on a Sony console than a Microsoft one as it stands.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 Digital needs to be 349 to outright kill Series S but it won't be.

And Sony will sell every single console they have at 399.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
PS5D at that price is much better value but people may not care.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people have already made up their minds what they will buy except if Sony goes crazy with pricing.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, not much I don't think. Some to be sure, but a 299 sticker on its own can stand up to the casual crowd when compared to a 399 sticker.

Also happy to be proven wrong (as I would purchase one sooner than expected) but I don't expect the DE to be 399.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on if people think the Series S is good enough graphically like they do the Switch, or think that Series X or PS5 are the only viable options.

Time will tell how people react. Will depend somewhat on how well devs support the system and how good the S versions are. Plus if Microsoft allows devs to make Series X only games or not.

Also, I don't think PlayStation ever confirmed that the PS5DE was identical in every way to the disk version except for the disk drive.

They just said it's not less powerful(ie not the same as the difference between the S and X), there's still plenty of ways the consoles can be different to cut costs that don't impact power such as hard drive size, number of USB ports etc.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it would really matter, $299 is still a different price tier. $399 would be an amazing price for a ps5 but for those price sensitive $299 or $25 a month (including gamepass) is an attractive option. For those not price sensitive $299 is in impulse buy territory.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is already going to sell out regardless but at $399 would be insane for the exclusives + power at that price.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Also, I don't think PlayStation ever confirmed that the PS5DE was identical in every way to the disk version except for the disk drive.
BG90X8J.png

blog.playstation.com

PS5 showcase recap: Everything you need to know

PlayStation 5 revealed, great new PS5 games, and takeaways from today's PS5 showcases.

My memory is they just said it's not less powerful. That is not the same thing as every spec is identical minus the disk drive.
Dude, it's literally the PS5 without a disc drive 💀

49996480982_870d841ea6_k.jpg

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I think if Sony genuinely wants to eat into SS sales, $399 is too high. They need $349 or lower.

Bigger & faster SSD, 10,3Tflops vs 4, DualSense is probabaly more expensive than Series S/X controller, a lot more plastic (bigger case) and a bigger cooling system.
No way PS5 DE costs only 50$ more.

Even at 100$ more, the value would be insane.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It depends. The Series S is £249 and $299. As far as I'm aware, Sony usually keep the US and UK prices the same. So if it's £249 Vs £399, I think the Series S will do great in the UK, at least.

Aug 10, 2019
I think most core gamers who will purchase a first round of consoles care about only two things, exclusives and where their friends play.

The only people who care about a medium price difference, at launch, are uniformed consumers and first time buyers.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Xbox have more of a thriving digital ecosystem already with Game Pass than Sony do.

The lack of a disc drive is more of a loss on a Sony console than a Microsoft one as it stands.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. PSN alone was bigger than all of Xbox (including hardware and accessories) last time revenue was reported.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think Xbox needed a cheap SKU to chip away at the market share PlayStation had this gen.

At $299, they actually stand a chance this time around.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
BG90X8J.png

blog.playstation.com

PS5 showcase recap: Everything you need to know

PlayStation 5 revealed, great new PS5 games, and takeaways from today's PS5 showcases.

"Gameplay experience will be the same" is not the same thing as "every spec is identical minus disk drive"

Again this just says the DE isn't a less powerful console like the Series S. It does not say every spec is the same(besides the disk drive).

Does a hard drive with a different size change the gameplay experience? No it doesn't.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People who want a PS5 will get a PS5 and people who want an Xbox will get a Xbox. What Microsoft is doing with XSS is making people who buy a PS5 ALSO more willing to buy an XSS. A $399 PS5D might be a good thing because it's cheaper and might leave people more willing to get a XSS as well.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
None, a $400 PS5 is not competitive with a $300 Xbox. Depending on how many units of each system ship this fall (they will all sell out) I expect the Series S to be the most popular of the next gen systems

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I vote for minor. It could be worse(for the XSS) depending on the differences in performance/graphics delivery between consoles, like, it's obvious that will be XSS<PS5<XSX, the question is how much.
''It will be just lower resolution''. Yes, I think it will be the case too, but we have to wait regardless, who knows what will happen in the end.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Bigger & faster SSD, 10,3Tflops vs 4, DualSense is probabaly more expensive than Series S/X controller, a lot more plastic (bigger case) and a bigger cooling system.
No way PS5 DE costs only 50$ more.

Even at 100$ more, the value would be insane.
I'm not sure the average consumer will understand/care about that value though. I have a feeling that they will just see price.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
"Gameplay experience will be the same" is not the same thing as "every spec is identical minus disk drive"

Again this just says the DE isn't a less powerful console like the Series S. It does not say every spec is the same(besides the disk drive).

Does a hard drive with a different size change the gameplay experience? No it doesn't.

Yes that what it means it even looks exactly the same. If it was different it would have a different box to cut more cost.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Would probably move the needle but I dunno if most people are willing to drop $399 just for an all-digital console. Anecdotal but most people I know in real-life don't buy games digitally so they'd be looking at the standard PS5.

I think $299 for the Series S is easier to suck up considering it's cheaper and you have access to Game Pass which is way better than PS Now, but at the same time, you've got what looks to be a weaker machine.
But like you said, vast majority of people with these systems still buy their games the usual way and don't use Game Pass or PS Now, so the way I see it the actual games on each system are way, way more important to most than Game Pass or PS Now. Iirc digital sales already make up over half of the total sales of games, so there is a demand for digital-only consoles, but at the same time subscription services definitely aren't yet at a place where they would be in a decisive role on whether someone gets Xbox or Playstation.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I sure hope people aren't getting their hopes up for a $399 DE. Edit: Even if was $399, you don't get access to a GP equivalent or the financing options.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

are you kidding me lmao. its the same. minus a disk drive thats it.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
This is kinda a weird poll because I think Series S cannibalises PS5's sales. So a $399 digital PS5 would be taking some of those sales back, that's how I think of it anyway.

Anything series S sells is a nice bonus to xbox, while pretty much everything is riding on PS5 for playstation.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. PSN alone was bigger than all of Xbox (including hardware and accessories) last time revenue was reported.

I mean that the average Xbox owner at this point is mostly all-digital anyway - first-party games are all on Game Pass. With Sony it's more of a split between physical and digital buyers.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

That's just because of the multiplayer paywall forcing a bigger install base to shell out. MS has services like Game Pass that are actually designed to attract consumers, not just coerce them (obv XBLG is also a coercion play).

If you go all digital and pay monthly for PS+, you get... A couple random games. If you go all digital on Series S you can pay a monthly fee to get 300 games. It's a much better value for lower end consumers.

(Yes, Sony has PS Now but sub numbers speak for themselves. Most consumers don't see a lot of value in a service with no day 1 releases where even 1st party games cycle out after three months.)

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Price matters. Average consumer will eat Series S. Next-gen console that cheap is perfect gift for kids at Christmas too.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
There is enough of a gap to call into question the "value" of Series S in comparison to a $400 PS5. Whether or not 100 bucks would be enough to sway the average consumer to just accept a loss in quality in exchange for savings is anyone's guess

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
We are going to lock this as a reaction thread. Once we actually have a price to compare with we can re-start this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.