• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2018
Seeing as there's no place to discuss this without navigating a minefield of brutal spoilers in the other thread, I thought I'd make a new one. Mods: lock, if necessary.

To be clear: nothing is to be posted in here. No pics. No gifs. No character names. No implications. Regardless of how "not spoilerey" it might be.

The News:

Original Story: Be very, very careful: enormous The Last of Us: Part II leaks have started to emerge online. Out of respect for Naughty Dog and the game, we're not going to host or link to the videos here, but rest assured these are legitimate and reveal huge plot points from the upcoming PlayStation 4 exclusive. It's safe to assume that Sony will be acting fast to have the clips removed, but it may already be too late to keep this leak under control.

Exactly how these videos have found their way online remains unclear, but the title was originally scheduled to release in May, so it's possible a near-final build found its way into the wild. Among the footage is a huge chunk of unseen gameplay, various cut-scenes, the release's main menu

All footage seems to have been cleaned from the internet but mirrors will be everywhere I'm sure.

Be courteous and very careful out there.

Edit: for those curious as to why I made the thread:
It's news. We can discuss the ramifications this new development might have on the game, its release date, Naughty Dog, how such spoilers might leak, post any updates about the situation from Naughty Dog, etc, etc

It's good to have a place to discuss all this without "SPOILER" tags every other post, detailing actual end-game content which has leaked.

Last edited:

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Someone might spoils things in this very thread. I appreciate the new ignore button for threads, it's real handy for such situations.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly did this leak happen? Didn't want to look into the other threads, and was curious as to how all this transpired.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
fd5ed6368ba461b5454d32af45bf1b7e.gif

How exactly did this leak happen? Didn't want to look into the other threads, and was curious as to how all this transpired.
No one knows.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody leaked a gameplay video with story spoilers in it. As to where the video itself originated or how it got out of ND, no idea.

I get that people are hyped, but I was never able to really get into the first game, so I don't much care about this one. Hearing spoilers is just a *shrug* from me.

But yes, the Ignore feature is handy for situations like this. Won't help you on YouTube, though.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Uh what are you gonna discuss about the spoilers if you can't actually talk about them...why can't you do this in the other thread.

some fool gonna "accidentally" post in this one.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If everyone is banned in this thread except for two people, someone can rightfully say that this really is the last of us two

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody leaked a gameplay video with story spoilers in it. As to where the video itself originated or how it got out of ND, no idea.

I get that people are hyped, but I was never able to really get into the first game, so I don't much care about this one. Hearing spoilers is just a *shrug* from me.

But yes, the Ignore feature is handy for situations like this. Won't help you on YouTube, though.
For youtube there's a great Chrome thing called Video Blocker, which allows you to block channels and keywords to completely eliminate them from your youtube browsing.

I can't recommend it enough for whenever you want to avoid spoilers for something. It's great.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I would change the title to "SPOILER FREE - The Last of Us 2 discussion - SPOILER FREE" or something of that nature so people are less likely to mistakenly post spoilers in this thread.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
God bless the marketing team at Naughty Dog. Having to deal with the whole studio crunch fiasco, no MP at launch, the delays, and now leaks.

They have their work cut out for them.

OP
OP
Mar 29, 2018

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
For youtube there's a great Chrome thing called Video Blocker, which allows you to block channels and keywords to completely eliminate them from your youtube browsing.

I can't recommend it enough for whenever you want to avoid spoilers for something. It's great.
The developer recently stopped updating it so a lot of it's features are currently useless. Most notably, right click to block channels.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I've not seen any of the spoilers but the reaction does worry me a little bit.

I've seen people comment on the level of violence present in the game - not a spoiler, Neil has said as much - and I'm just not sure I'm up for it.

It's not that I don't think you can do something fantastic with brutality as a theme, but TLoU already straddled the line for me. I don't want more of that realised in even more detail.

OP
OP
Mar 29, 2018
Uh what are you gonna discuss about the spoilers if you can't actually talk about them...why can't you do this in the other thread.

some fool gonna "accidentally" post in this one.
It's news. We can discuss the ramifications this new development might have on the game, its release date, Naughty Dog, how such spoilers might leak, post any updates about the situation from Naughty Dog, etc, etc

It's good to have a place to discuss all this without "SPOILER" tags every other post discussing actual end-game content which has leaked.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way any of us are lasting 3 or 4 months.

4 months with the best case scenario.

You cant read twitter. Reddit is a fucking landmine. Wouldn't be surprised if someone here drops an accidental spoiler.

We are fucked.

OP
OP
Mar 29, 2018

I've seen people comment on the level of violence present in the game - not a spoiler, Neil has said as much - and I'm just not sure I'm up for it.

It's not that I don't think you can do something fantastic with brutality as a theme, but TLoU already straddled the line for me. I don't want more of that realised in even more detail.
I think it's going to be an incredibly rough, unpleasant ride - but I think that will also be the point. That we shouldn't glorify violence, because it's fucking horrible.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I'm interested in hearing is length. Not that I care, I'll buy anyway, but it's really the only thing I'm curious in.

Yeah tho, Sony should release this digitally on time and just keep the physical version delayed. I think if they kept leaks out it would have been ok but the longer these circulate the worse damage it will do to the game. Plus I doubt this person is done leaking.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I cannot imagine how absolutely devastating for morale this will be.

Yea, it definitely sucks to spend years working on something and then have major spoilers revealed by some random anonymous person online. Unfortunately, it happens all to often. I know you can't really rush games successfully (without it hindering quality) but they kind of need to get this out as soon as possible.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Urgh. The hardest part is not knowing for how long we'll have to be dodgeing these spoilers.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Full game is being streamed apparently?

That's what someone said in another thread

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Geez, looks like this will be my new home until some asshole Youtube thumbnail spoils it.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's going to be an incredibly rough, unpleasant ride - but I think that will also be the point. That we shouldn't glorify violence, because it's fucking horrible.
I'm very curious to see how they'll fit gameplay into this.

Because gameplay has "an issue" in that the opposite of fun isn't "thought provoking", it's "boring".

And there's a certain satisfaction to well made, responsive violence in gameplay. Great, realistic shooting animations, with enemies that react accordingly feel satisfying. Overcoming a challenging encounter with enemies that want you dead and keep flanking you, that's satisfying, it's fun.

However, if they intentionally set out to make it not fun, then it runs into the problem I mentioned, it doesn't become "thought provoking", it becomes boring. Which detracts even more from the message, because now the player just doesn't feel like it's worth suffering through the poor gameplay for the story.

Personally, I just think they should keep the gameplay fun, as it was in the first one, but I'm curious to see if they feel differently about this, because on some level I do think the overall message is hurt by how much fun it is to clear encounters, explore for resources and craft stuff to use in the next encounter. It's exhilarating to survive a difficult encounter.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i remember people speculated this would happen when that one person leaked some footage a few weeks back

i doubted them foolishly

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Already had some aspects spoiled to me (not the the ending, fortunately) based on context of what people have been saying here... be careful going through threads even that say spoilers must be marked. It's easy to unintentionally put together what people are saying outside of spoiler tags based on the comparisons they make to other games and stuff

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have SIE, ND, or Niel Druckman made a statement yet. A tweet telling people to avoid spoilers and keep the faith until the eventual release date would go a hell of a long way.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017

so what you're trying to say is that you're very *concerned*

OP
OP
Mar 29, 2018
I'm very curious to see how they'll fit gameplay into this.

Because gameplay has "an issue" in that the opposite of fun isn't "thought provoking", it's "boring".

And there's a certain satisfaction to well made, responsive violence in gameplay. Great, realistic shooting animations, with enemies that react accordingly feel satisfying. Overcoming a challenging encounter with enemies that want you dead and keep flanking you, that's satisfying, it's fun.

However, if they intentionally set out to make it not fun, then it runs into the problem I mentioned, it doesn't become "thought provoking", it becomes boring. Which detracts even more from the message, because now the player just doesn't feel like it's worth suffering through the poor gameplay for the story.

Personally, I just think they should keep the gameplay fun, as it was in the first one, but I'm curious to see if they feel differently about this, because on some level I do think the overall message is hurt by how much fun it is to clear encounters, explore for resources and craft stuff to use in the next encounter. It's exhilarating to survive a difficult encounter.
Definitely. The narrative design is gonna be fascinating to behold. We already know they have a "fun" core loop, but seeing how they tweak on it and play with it to make you feel stuff will be fascinating.

I mean, there was already that 7/10 from Polygon from the first game entirely because they said it was "stressful not fun" where the rest of the critical sphere were hugely complimentary of the game. That kind of review might just stop being the outlier and become the norm.

All entertainment is art. But art doesn't have to be entertaining. How hard are Naughty Dog gonna lean in to that?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
so what you're trying to say is that you're very *concerned*

Not really mate, just putting an opinion out there. I don't want to see the game veer into graphic violence in a way that puts me off.

If it does and that's the story they want to tell. Cool. Then I've got a decision to make.

I have never been and will never be concerned about a piece of media. :)

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I already muted every word in social media, ignored threads here etc but i know somehow i will end up spoiled.
This feels really bad, cuz i think we are months ago of release

OP
OP
Mar 29, 2018
Already had some aspects spoiled to me (not the the ending, fortunately) based on context of what people have been saying here... be careful going through threads even that say spoilers must be marked. It's easy to unintentionally put together what people are saying outside of spoiler tags based on the comparisons they make to other games and stuff
Yeah, the point of this thread was to entirely be like "nothing can be posted in here". At all.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cant think of a worse spot to be in than having your game delayed indefinitely and fully leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.