• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dziga

Banned
Mar 5, 2020
Remember when Nintendo announced this game as an official BOTW prequel ?

Turns out that in the first five mins of the demo, you will discover that this was false advertising and you will be playing some sort of time traveling fanfic.

the whole selling point is a lie and i can't imagine how many will be disappointed to discover this scam

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Can we calm the hell down? We've only seen the first chapter. Hell the first two missions.

Let's see how the rest of the game goes first.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
If its a time travel thing....wouldnt it still be considered a prequel considering whoever you are playing as is reliving the events?

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
There's literally no indication whatsoever in the demo that it isn't going to end in anything then what was depicted in BoTW.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Except you have no idea how the plot plays out.

It could be a Terminator scenario where the Guardian always makes the jump thus creating the sequence of events in the past.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This forum again ...
Even calling it a scam wtf

We don't even know the full story right now and maybe we should wait a little bit?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Only cowards judge the entire plot, I (and my galaxy brain) will call the game a scam because the first 2 missions are not what they said!!!!!!!

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes, Nintendo really went out into deceiving people here. Going as far as to... *checks notes* give away the twist in the trailer and free demo. *monotone* Oh my God, call your local advertising standards agency right away.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
TN8McfG.jpg

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Considering that the Zelda team wrote the story, I would probably wait until the game is out before you come to that conclusion.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it was advertised as a Musou game taking place 100 years before Breath of the Wild and it's still that.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be lying if I didn't immediately say "oh no, please not time travel" when that portal opened in the opening scene.
It was bloomin' time travel

Nintendo the scammiest, at least the wee guardian can use those portal powers to overcome any limited release scams, played with his scam joycons, absolute calamity, scalamity even, scalamity Ganon

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
But if it features the same characters in the time frame they've advertised it taking place in before the original game....then how is it fanfic?

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
you realize time travel/manipulation has been a core mechanic to the zelda franchise for literally decades right

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
"7 seconds until the end. Enough time for you. perhaps. Let's see what you do with it"

-Ganon, Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Yeah, this didn't deserve its own thread.

Why not limit your premature and oddly hostile takes to one of the pre-existing threads on the game?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Quick, someone call the Better Business Bureau!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Calling this an overreaction is an understatement. It might be a closed loop where it still leads to the same ending. Or you know, multiple endings so they can do unique scenarios and justify different playable characters.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
"Turns out that in the first five mins of the demo, you will discover that this was false advertising and you will be playing some sort of time traveling fanfic.

the whole selling point is a lie and i can't imagine how many will be disappointed to discover this scam"

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
People really get worked up about games, huh?

You just played the demo. You didn't lose any money whatsoever unless you preordered it on some store that won't give you the money back (and that's partly on you). How is it a scam if Nintendo gave you a reason to not spend money on their game three weeks before its launch?

Then people complain that some of us find the overreactions funny.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I actually thought about joking in the demo thread about someone hypothetically making... this thread.

Huh.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Inb4 this is actually a genius play by Nintendo to make us think that there's hope that things will be different but then they fail anyways.

But seriously, I wouldn't judge so quickly. And it's not like the Zelda franchise is above time travel as a plot device at all.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Man someone should tell the Temple of Time in OOT they are really scamming those Redeads with all the time travel shenanigans.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the selling point was playing a Zelda warriors game where you go into a battlefield with your favorite characters and kill lots of bad guys

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how giving the players a fresh story instead of just replaying known events could be something bad, as long as I can still devour the realm as calamity ganon in the end

Status
Not open for further replies.