• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will this be better than Wonder Woman (by whatever metric you use for "better")?

• Yes

Votes: 99 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 84 32.3%
  • Honestly, I'm just excited about female superheroes

Votes: 77 29.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

malyse

Community Resetter
We've had two trailers now, so let's talk about how we're feeling about Marvel's self titled lady.

1. Do you expect this to review higher than Wonder Woman? Critical and audience reception.
2. Do you expect this to make more money than Wonder Woman?
3. Are you more or less excited about CM than you were about WW before seeing it (regardless of your actual feelings for WW once you saw it)?
4. Does the other Captain Marvel stand a chance?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to compare it to Wonder Woman based on gender alone. But the second trailer deflated my hype. I'm sure the movie will be okay because Marvel has a successful formula and they can work the hell out of it. But it looked like shit in that second trailer.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, lead actress is dull. Should have cast Katee Sackhoff.
tumblr_o5fchrhlw11rdyda1o1_r1_500.gif

Captain Marvel will be okay, largely mediocre but somehow more interesting than at least half of the MCU output. Shazam will be better though.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go see it but to be honest it's just because how it'll (probably) tie into Avengers 4 and it won't be out on Blu-Ray before A4 is out.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not excited because i'm busy waiting for the next avengers movie. i wasn't hyped for the second ant man because it didn't have anything to do with the avengers.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like WW as much as everyone else so by default and based on their record, I'll probably like Captain Marvel a lot more. Plus I love Brie Larson.

But yes, this movie will be fucking huge despite people bitching about the trailers.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zero. Wonder Woman looked better before release and ended up a decent movie (third act nonetheless).

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First trailer was awesome and a trailer for the same movie but if your judging movies by trailer quality then you never lived through the 80s.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Brie Larson was the wrong choice for this character. It's probably the first big mistake marvel studios has made.

Mandius

Oct 27, 2017
While I though the characterisation was decent, the WW film was awful.

I expect a better film with CM, but it lacks the name brand, so I expect the film to earn less.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. I don't really care about the character so going in with a negative bias .... basically the same problem I have going into most MCU flick lol.

WW imo is one of the best superhero flicks in a long time mainly due to Pine and Gadot's chemistry together and the action... until the cgi boss fight anyway. Maybe it will be better or maybe it won't I dunno 'til I see it.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Both trailers didn't set blow me away. I thought trailer 2 was worse then trailer 1 and the only reason I'll watch it is to see where they take the character before she shows up in avengers.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm sure I'll like it. I like most of the Marvel movies. Brie Larson is a great actress and the rest of the movie has a pretty stacked cast. That it's the team behind Half Nelson is kinda nuts, but I dug that movie a lot, so it's cool that they're getting this big opportunity.

I don't think the Wonder Woman comparisons are necessary. I thought the whole point to Wonder Woman's success was that we didn't have to put women in their own box for this stuff? They can just *be* superheroes in their own movies without having to also carry the torch for an entire gender.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll honestly prolly be bored with both.

But since I'm team marvel, marvel > ww

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Because we generally hate women so much that we don't want to see them succeed in groups. Only one at a time.
I look forward to doing this again when Birds of Prey comes out. Then again for Black Widow. And so on.

Meanwhile, 30 movies about dudes will come out and no one will feel the need to compare them based on the gender of the main characters.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Brie Larson slander as if she is some sort of b-list no name talent is so weird when she is without question a highly respected rising star in hollywood and has earned her cred and then some as a top tier young actress.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I look forward to doing this again when Birds of Prey comes out. Then again for Black Widow. And so on.

Meanwhile, 30 movies about dudes will come out and no one will feel the need to compare them based on the gender of the main characters.

You're acting like there weren't hype check threads asking to compare Aquaman with Thor. Or Doctor Strange with Ant-Man. Or Logan with Batman. Or

Oh, there weren't?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Im the biggest MCU fan in the world.

But the two trailers so far are terrible, and the main actress doesnt do ANYTHING for me emotionally. She seems so goddamn stiff and isnt emotive at all. It looks terrible.

Im literally hoping the universe/story/setting and everyone else in the movie carries it. Because right now it looks terrible.

I fully expect people to eat crow.

I hope you are right and I get to. Looks so bad so far though.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Brie Larson was the wrong choice for this character. It's probably the first big mistake marvel studios has made.
I really agree with this. I would have absolutely loved Kathryn Winnick. She is a joy to look at and not to mention I feel she is leagues above Larson.

Maybe we can get Kathryn as Quasar??

Status
Not open for further replies.