• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I don't want to worry any of you with that title but it's honestly a super weird situation I've never been in before.

The lease for my current apartment ends tomorrow and I can't move into my new apartment until August 22nd. So essentially for the next 3 weeks I'll be living in a hotel. My parents have set one up for me so I don't need to worry about the costs of a hotel for 21 days.

The hotel is actually closer to my job than my old apartment was so I'll be cutting my commute in half. Any items that I can't bring in the hotel with me will be stowed in a storage facility for the time being.

Anyone ever been in a situation like this? Honestly I'm most upset about not being able to play my PS4 or unable to cook food besides a microwave. I guess I'll be living on my Switch and Taco Bell lol.

I'm gonna try to pick up any extra shifts at work so I don't have to be lounging around the hotel room all day. Do maids come by every day? What do they do if I'm still sleeping? Staying in a hotel is rare for me and this is the first time I'll be alone in one.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
This title really isn't fair.

You'll likely just put something up if you don't want it turned down.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're getting put up in a hotel free of charge and you have the fucking audacity to say you're going to be homeless.

EDIT

Some mod just saved your ass

Last edited:

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Where do you live that you couldn't set your move out date one month post lease expiry? Most rentals allow it as long as you've been there at least a year?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I had to sleep on park benches when I was homeless. Your situation seems comfortable and fortunate.

Shit title.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Yeahhhh being homeless and staying in a fucking hotel for 3 weeks aren't usually the same thing.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you aren't going to be homeless. You'll be living in a hotel. There's a pretty big difference.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Talk about clickbait. No, that's not what homelessness means, and the fact you try to associate your three week discomfort to actual homeless people is pretty sickening.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My family lived in an Extended Stay Hotel for two weeks when we moved from North Carolina to Ohio when I was in high school. The nice thing was having a separate room from my parents and access to HBO/Showtime/Cinemax, but it was a 30min drive to school and I had to live out of a suitcase.

I don't think I'd ever want to stay out of a hotel for longer than a few days at this point unless it was part of a business trip. Also, make sure your stuff is properly sealed if possible and check everything before you move into your new place. It can be easy to pick up some unwanted critters by having your stuff in storage for even a short amount of time.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Having a hotel room free of charge for 3 weeks while waiting to move into a proper home sounds like a best case scenario in my eyes.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has actually been homeless you might want to ask a mod to change the title because your not. Your between places with guaranteed shelter before moving into a guaranteed apartment. I clicked as I usually do on threads with these titles hoping to use my experience to give practical advice to someone in genuine need, not someone looking for hotel etiquette and suggestions to stave off boredom.

Edit: Title was changed by the time my post when through, thanks mods much appreciated.👏

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
What you have OP is a lack of permanent residence for a few weeks. Homeless is entirely different.

That said, I'm happy for your good fortune. I had a similar run of good luck about 7 years ago when I was fake evicted from my apartment and my parents put me up for several years until my situation could improve.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
unable to cook food besides a microwave.

Just buy a damn portable stove. It's really cheap.

I've been "homeless" (by your definition) for a couple of weeks when I moved to the U.S. to go to college. I had friends from language school there so I spent a few nights sleeping in unused dorm rooms, one night on the common area couch, and a few in the room of a friend who had an extra bed.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
That's not what being homeless means.
You're not homeless.
You're getting put up in a hotel free of charge and you have the fucking audacity to say you're going to be homeless.

It's not living on the streets but it is a lack of set housing with a permanent address. I've had friends who would stay with me for a few weeks and have considered themselves homeless.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>homeless
>upset at playing switch and eating microwaved food instead of PS4 and oven shit
>closer to work
>not paying for hotel room while homeless
>make thread for sympathy

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
OP, put the do not disturb sign on your door if you intend to sleep in on one day. Cleaning staff will leave you alone.

Other than that, enjoy it! I dont see why you cant bring your consoles, though. Hotel TVs have HDMI plugs on them. When ive stayed in hotels for work trips, ive brought consoles with me on occasion.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Original title: "I guess I'll be homeless for 3 weeks starting tomorrow"

*opens thread*

Honestly I'm most upset about not being able to play my PS4 or unable to cook food besides a microwave. I guess I'll be living on my Switch and Taco Bell lol.

lol, fuck outta here
Thanks for fixing the clusterfuck of a title, mods

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's not living on the streets but it is a lack of set housing with a permanent address. I've had friends who would stay with me for a few weeks and have considered themselves homeless.
If you were forced to sleep out of your car for the next few weeks or couch surfing because you had no where else to stay, then I'd consider you homeless. All you lack right now is a permanent address that isn't tied to your parents house.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, come on.

To be privileged enough to have parents who can pay for your nice hotel stay for 21 days is not close to being homeless.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
OP, put the do not disturb sign on your door if you intend to sleep in on one day. Cleaning staff will leave you alone.

Other than that, enjoy it! I dont see why you cant bring your consoles, though. Hotel TVs have HDMI plugs on them.

It's honestly a really cheap motel as my family can't afford to have me stay somewhere nice. I believe it has a TV but I don't think it's one with an HDMI output.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
You're really eager to derail this thread right after the mods very kindly saved it from an earlier derail with that title edit, huh

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
OP is living the Suite Life of Zack and Cody and telling us he's homeless. 😂😂😂

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing folks who have had live in extended stay hotels for months at a time because that's the only place they could afford, fuck outta here OP.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I'm in a similar situation but I haven't secured employment in the town my parents live in yet so I'm going to live out of my car for a week or two and work at my current job.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Your inability to coordinate rental timings has put your parents out of pocket for probably $1000+. Congratulations.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
The fuck, that sounds like fun OP.

I'm honestly afraid. I never liked hotels as a kid. Once a guy tired to break in and since then I've always been really on edge whenever I have to stay in one making sure the door is locked throughout the night and such.

The hotel is in a part of town that's not so great and I've never stayed in one alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.