• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I know many people have lost family members and friends, they are all important and my loss isn't special. I just didn't think it would happen so late, after lockdown and getting vaxxed.

She initially went to the hospital in mid June, and was sent home about two weeks later. My dad was taking care of her and said she was doing much better. He didn't tell me she had taken a turn for the worse a few days later. He disappeared from MH Rise after playing almost every night but I didn't think much of it.

My cousins and aunt (my only close family members) were scared to tell me she had passed because I have not handled death well in the past. My pops finally texted me 4 days after she passed. Which I'm not upset about, he just lost his mom, and I'm estranged from the vast majority of my family.

We were not very close. She treated boys and girls in our family very different. I also think she was less interested in me because I am the product of an affair. So we were not blood related. I'm not upset about that, but it caused some bad blood in my family a few times. She once came to visit with a gift wrapped present for my big brother and nothing for me and my father was very upset.

Anyway, she was 86 and led a happy life I think. We lost my grandpa 3 years ago and I only saw her a few times after that, but she wasn't the same. They were both Jehovah's Witnesses and very sexist, which is why I barely spoke to them as an adult.

They didn't like my gf/now wife because we are pretty much the opposite of "typical" gender roles. The last time I saw my grandpa he told me that giving women the right to vote was a huge mistake that changed America for the worse, while my grandma nodded in agreement. He said it right in front of my wife and she loudly laughed which made him walk out of the room in a huff lmao.

Anyway, not much else to say. I'm not heartbroken, just surprised.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I guess that was a weird OP near the end. I don't think she liked me much, and I wasn't a fan of her agreeing with every dumbshit belief my grandpa held, but it's still sad to see someone go that I've known my whole life.
No, I think their responses were inappropriate.

It's ok to have conflicting feelings about this because our relationships are not always clear, even if we don't exactly get along with each other.

We often don't realize that some relationships have things left unsaid until we no longer have the chance to address them. But that's part of the grieving process.

I hope you find piece in it soon.

Dec 31, 2017
Relationships are complex and even if there are less than ideal aspects, losing someone you've had a bond with for your entire life is confusing, difficult, and sad. You're free to process your feelings however you see fit.

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
No, I think their responses were inappropriate.

It's ok to have conflicting feelings about this because our relationships are not always clear, even if we don't exactly get along with each other.

We often don't realize that some relationships have things left unsaid until we no longer have the chance to address them. But that's part of the grieving process.

I hope you find piece in it soon.
Thank you, I appreciate that and agree, relationships with family can be weird. I think this thread was a mistake though, I don't even know what I wanted to say other than the OP. Not much discussion to be had.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you, I appreciate that and agree, relationships with family can be weird. I think this thread was a mistake though, I don't even know what I wanted to say other than the OP. Not much discussion to be had.
It was an outlet. Sometimes we need a place to vent our feelings even if it doesn't generate discussion.

It's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.