• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
I'm a big fan of Halo and watching Master Chief takes off his helmet in the first episode it's just wrong.

What I way to butcher the character in 40 minutes.

I'm genuinely thinking if I should continue watching this.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
its gets better when master chief shows off his master cheeks

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
they couldn't even get it right
master-chief-helmet.gif

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I'd keep watching and just separate your expectations from the series even remotely following the game 1:1. I've had fun with it once I got past that.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
actually thats a lie

it hasnt gotten all that good yet, even with the ass shot

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Later on in the series they cut off his head and permanently replace it with his helmet so it is ok.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big fan of Halo and watching Master Chief takes off his helmet in the first episode it's just wrong.

What I way to butcher the character in 40 minutes.

I'm genuinely thinking if I should continue watching this.
www.resetera.com

Halo The Series |OT| Figured I'd try streaming. Mix things up a little. [If anything leaks, please spoiler tag] OT

BOOTING UP XBOX Showrunners: Kyle Killen & Steven Kane Starring: Pablo Schreiber, Natascha McElhone, Yerin Ha, Charlie Murphy, Shabana Azmi, Bokeem Woodbine, Olive Gray, Kate Kennedy, Natasha Culzac, Bentley Kalu, Danny Sapani, Jen Taylor Production Companies: Amblin Television, 343...

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I couldnt get past the fact that MC literally could not keep his god damn helmet on. I dont want to see this random dudes face.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion removing the helmet in the first episode stopped it from becoming a big focal point, the writers could then focus on other things. It gave them freedom.

BUT

I only watched one episode of this show, so I have no idea where they went from there.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
seemed like he would just take his helmet off at the stupidest times and not put it back on in the face of danger.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First episode is the worst episode. It gets a lot better (unless you're like some of these weirdos that can't fathom seeing Master Chief's face throughout the series).

Also there's an OT. Go post there.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I have no issues with him taking his helmet off. That complaint is so silly.

His helmet is off plenty in the books and games, you just never see his face because of the nature of those mediums.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the show a lot but I'm not a huge halo fan, the show is I believe set in an "alternate universe" from the game so if sticking to the lore is super important, then yeah skipping the show is probably a good idea.

But for a general sci fi show its decent so far, there is one terrible character and she drags the show down every time she is on screen but the rest of the cast is great and I like the writing and world building so far.

For me its basically just another sci fi show that borrows heavily from the Halo lore, so when someone says something like "Covenant" or "Cortana" I can do the OnceUponATime point but I'm not trying to wiki verify its accurate. In fact I'm fairly certain its departed heavily from the games multiple times now.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I find Master Chief to be nearly empty as a character until like Halo 4 so that doesn't sound bad to me at all. Haven't watched the show yet myself.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get that far into the episode to see him remove his helmet. I tapped out halfway through. Just seems, not Halo. It would have been much more interesting if they had had a new squad of Spartans to follow in the Halo Universe, allows them to do whatever they want with the story. You could sprinkle in a chief cameo here or there too, showing how crazy badass he is from an outsider perspective. I don't know, show just feels wrong.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think I have it in me to check this out, never liked the games anyway. My dad who isn't a gamer and hasn't heard wtf is a Halo, absolutely loves it though.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I really hate the people in the fandom who are complaining about the helmet not being on.
It is a very shallow level complaint. It would be like people complaining if they made a gears of war movie and Marcus didn't have a doo rag on all the time like he does in the games.

For a surgically augmented super soldier, I was expecting better honestly.

It's a nice butt, but not like super-humanly nice.
Spartans have their musculature amplified to the density of chimpanzees so technically its a hairless monkey butt.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The actor is fairly good and there is zero reason to hide his face all the time. His identity isn't tied to the (wearing of) the helmet.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Man. People are obsessed with that goddamn helmet. I've been playing Halo since launch day 2001 and I don't get the infatuation.

This isn't a video game and since this show isn't going from one major action set piece to another, there's no reason for him to keep it on all of the time. Him taking it off doesn't break canon.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I really hate the people in the fandom who are complaining about the helmet not being on.

Yep. The show has issues (the Kwan plot being terrible is the first and primary) so complaints about the helmet or lack thereof feel like they're missing the forest for the trees.

I think Pablo has been good as Chief so if showing him with his helmet off allows him to act that's a good thing.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
The Halo show has plenty of problems but showing Master Chief's face definitely isn't one of them. He's not a Mandalorian in a cult, he's a soldier with armor for use in certain situations.

Nov 8, 2017
The show has issues. Master Chief taking off his helmet is not intrinsically a problem although it would have been less jarring if they'd done more build up first maybe.

If you ignore the licence, the show is "ok" but it doesn't stand out among TV Science Fiction. It hasn't presented anything particularly new or interesting as scifi, and the execution of fundamentals is shaky. The acting is reasonably good but the scripts are lacking. The Halo games, especially early ones, are the direct descendants of Aliens and Starship Troopers (the book) while the show feels absolutely nothing like that and instead feels kind of like a soup of "this is what TV scifi is kind of just like?" It doesn't have a strong personality. There's a bit of stuff about aliens invading, a bit of stuff about nefarious government conspiracies, a bit of stuff around ancient aliens and chosen ones, there's a bit of stuff about rebels and how bad the government is.

As a Halo product it's pretty disappointing and they've taken it in all sorts of bad directions. I think you're seeing very mixed reactions because there's a real sense of "who is this for?" For people who have no experience with Halo, none of the changes made seem to be big wins. There's nothing there that would have been jarring or unattractive, and has now been made great for newcomers. For people who played the games casually, the general tone and feel of the show is nothing like that at all. And for people who are seriously into Halo, they're more likely to notice and be bothered by a lot of the changes.

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME
The helmet complaints are just silly. It makes sense in the games, since he's in constant combat. However, even the games show that he takes off the helmet when out of combat situations. Expecting him to wear it all the time, Mandalorian style, doesn't make any sense.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.