• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
So I was replaying this game for the first in years and I don't how I never caught this line
Q3GSu9L.png

Perhaps I'm mistaken but "queer" in that context is always negative right?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It means odd or out of the ordinary.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
the word was originally defined as "strange/odd" before it got other meanings later on down the line. Like other words that got new meanings as generations went on.

It also depends on the context of the person saying the word who may use different english than others

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Isn't he talking in old english? It wasn't derogatory at the time.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
...I don't get it.

Is it just that he uses the word queer? Plankbeard talks in a old-timey pirate dialect and it makes sense that he'd use the word queer as an adjective.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
From context, I think they just used the original definition of the word. IMO that's still fine in modern English in 2020, but context is important of course.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was going to see something horrible that I somehow forgot over the years.

Like other have said it just means strange/odd. It's all about the context and how it's used.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
They definitely used it in the original "quirky" sense. I don't see a negative connotation.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, did you think he was describing the treasure chest in a derogatory manner?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the 2000s it absolutely did and I don't think it was reclaimed at that point. The last I heard it used in a game was Wolfenstein The New Collosus and that NOT a positive use.

Whatever character is talking is obviously using an old timey dialect though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*User makes completely well intentioned thread about a word with a tumultuous history*

THIs iS WhY ERa Has A RePutaTIon

Could y'all be any more transparent?

Oct 30, 2017
I always wanted to get that game for Gamecube. Seems charming.

Pretty obvious this is not a slant against gay people.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
OK, so maybe I overreacted a little. It's just a little odd to see a word commonly associated with LGBTQ both postively and negatively used casually like this even if the game is 15 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.