• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Wire Season 5 or GOT Season 8

• The Wire Season 5

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Game of Thrones Season 8

Votes: 71 65.1%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 39 35.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we can revisit this thread next week after the finale. But after last night's episode...yikes. This season of GOT reminds me a lot of when I watched Season 5 of the Wire. So I wanted to make a thread about it. Is HBO incapable of closing their bigger and best shows properly?

Comparatively speaking, was Season 5 of the Wire (compared to the quality of Season 1-4), more of a let down compared to Game of Thrones Season 8 (compared to the quality of Seasons 1-7)? This is not a direct comparison of GOT and the Wire or which one is better. But rather, which one had the bigger let down for a series finale based on the track record of their respective previous seasons.

DISCUSS

Nov 18, 2017
Do we need countless threads comparing GoT to this or that show before it's even ended?

Season 5 of The Wire was great and the shows are vastly different.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
S5 of The Wire is amazing. The only problem is that it had to follow S4 which may be the single greatest season of television in the history of the medium.

S8 of GOT is... not great.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Season 5 of The Wire was good, just not as good as the previous seasons. And the final episode was incredible.

Just off the top of my head, Six Feet Under, Sopranos and the Leftovers all ended spectacularly.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Just the fact you are comparing the two is insane. Season 5 of the wire is great. Season 8 of GoT is shit

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Season 5 of The Wire is still of the highest quality and a proper ending to the story and its characters.

This comparison is ridiculous.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 5 of The Wire is still better than the best seasons of 95% of TV ever made. People want to bitch about the newspaper focus and the fake serial killer stuff but its also a season where we see the outcomes, often depressing ones, of the schoolkids from season 5, the culmination of several show long story arcs such as what happens to Omar and of course one of the MOST cathartic scenes in TV history, Bubbles being allowed to finally walk up those basement stairs.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you putting your horses before the cart? The next episode could be even worse.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
What is the worse snack to eat while watching S8 of GoT? A big plate of delicious nachos or a bowl of cold diarrhea with some hair and broken glass in it?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wire season 5 is better than 99% of the tv shows out there. the serial killer storyline has actual consequences and is still grounded in reality. he ends up getting caught and everyone from the mayor to the police commisioners do exactly what we expect from them. there is zero character assassination. mcnulty, bunk, rawls, carcetti, freemon, and daniels all do things that are consistent with their characterization.

everything about characterizaiton of characters in game of thrones has been trash. great production values, awful writing. they want twists and shock value over character development.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like at least some of this GoT let down is like modern internet bandwagon hatred. The same as every single human hating every single website redesign.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to do a really fun, and disturbing, thought experiment just imagine if the Game of Thrones guys had to do season 5 of The Wire.

Nov 1, 2017
The Wire was a drop from four 10/10 seasons to like a 9.5/10 season. GoT's first four seasons were maybe 9/10s, then started drifting down towards 7/10s, and then this season is like a 5/10. There's no comparison.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Mcnultys arc in season 5 was so awful compared to the rest of the series that it stuck out more. GOT has been on a steady decline for years so season 8 is not that awful to me.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
The Wire season 5 is really good tho. McNulty going "too far" is one of the best things in the show, had me laughing my ass off. It's just not seasons 3 or 4...

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
As with Avengers, we are being prudent with the amount of Game of Thrones topics right now. Arbitrary comparison topics like this rarely produce meaningful discussion, so this thread is closed. Feel free to continue discussing your take-aways from the show in the appropriate OT or Spoiler thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.