• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I was lucky enough to score a PS5 earlier this year, i don't have any issue paying $70 for a new game, and I highly enjoy most Sony 1st party exclusives. But since I got it my PS5 has been exclusively used to wrap up my backlog of PS4 exclusives, and this is 100% because there is currently no way to play a PS5 game on a controller with paddles/back buttons. I'm an avowed Xbox Elite paddle user, and I use a variety of hardware adapters (primarily the Brook Xone SE) to make use of it on PS4 and Switch systems, but thanks to Sony's pigheaded decision to not allow DualShock4 usage in PS5 games there's is really no option currently available that enables paddle usage on any controller.

I downloaded the Stranger of Paradise demo last night to check it out, but I felt like I was playing with one hand tied behind my back; have to take my thumb off the right stick to dodge or parry unless I contort my hands into Lovecraftian geometries? What is this, an N64 game? I really want to play Demon's Souls, I really want to play Ratchet & Clank, but i know that if I do so now it will be a sub-par experience for me without the use of paddles that, at this point, have become a part of my muscle memory and I legitimately flail around in games without their use.

Sony has made not one peep about releasing a Back Button attachment for the DualSense like they did for the DS4, and the most that we've heard from Scuf is "we're working on it". It's all the more frustrating to know that Sony could solve it in an instant with a simple software update to enable DS4 controllers to play PS5 games. I can take or leave the haptics and resistive technology of the DualSense, but it will NEVER be a controller that I have any interest in using until it has paddles added.

This is mostly just a complaint thread, but curious if anyone else is aware of any solutions that might work; i've heard rumors that some 3rd party peripherals like racing wheels that identify as PS4 controllers DO work in PS5 games, so it may be possible to get an adapter work if it presents as one of these via one of the hardware adapters like TitanTwo, CronusMax, or GIMX, but I haven't been able to find a lot info on people successfully doing so.

Really, though, just release a new Back Button, Sony, and it would be even better if it has 4 buttons instead of just 2, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
While I won't skip a single game on my PS5 because of the lack of paddles, as an elite controller v2 user, I'd switch out all the haptics stuff for nice paddles in a hertbeat :/

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
but i know that if I do so now it will be a sub-par experience for me without the use of paddles that, at this point, have become a part of my muscle memory and I legitimately flail around in games without their use.
I have a hard time believing this is not exaggerated, given that every game has its own control scheme, so you have to build muscle memory on a game by game basis anyway.

I really don't think not have paddles is that much of a deal breaker in non-competitive narrative-driven games but hey, if you'd rather not experience the game than experiencing it without paddles, that's your prerogative.

Realmatic1

Oct 27, 2017
sounds like you need to be a bit more flexible. Why cop a PS5 if you know that the controller would be an issue?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Strange thread. You knew that there was no attachment and you bought the console? I'm confused why you would, if not having the attachment was a deal breaker for playing games the way you want to.

Gooner

Oct 15, 2020
You can mod the controller if you really want paddles, just search eBay they have loads.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
While I won't skip a single game on my PS5 because of the lack of paddles, as an elite controller v2 user, I'd switch out all the haptics stuff for nice paddles in a hertbeat :/

Same, other than being a V1 user. One of several reasons the XSX has turned into my main and PS5 will be for exclusives or online things I want to play with my PS only friends.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Couldn't you just hold off buying the console until they've offered the paddles? It's not like this was a secret...

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Back buttons attachment for DS4 came in late 2019. Early on and for majority of its cycle, PS4 was reliant on 3rd party support for paddles. And, it's going to be no different this time round. Battlebeaver PS5 controllers are coming out next month. Meanwhile, there are peripherals which can make older controller compatible with PS5.

Why did you buy the console if you knew you couldn't play that way?

Also, this.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
So you spent $400+ on a console for the express reason of playing last-gen games but refuse to play current gen games because of controller "limitations" that you knew were already there?

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Dumb question, what are paddles?
fd5caca9ef1b2d4b448272dabb409bebebb335b7.jpg

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm too old and set in my ways to mess with back buttons. I'm glad Sony didn't build them in and make them new buttons I would be forced to use.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Also SCUF owns the patent for "paddles" and likes to sue people. Microsoft paid them to be able to use paddles. If you Notice, other companies make controllers with that same functionality do a lot of things to avoid using "paddles" (controller chaos)

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
Did you use paddles to make the thread or are you still typing like the rest of us?

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Why would you buy a system you refuse to play games on?
Some people pay to improve their standing for blasting the system. One of my close RL friend bought most PS4 big games so he could say they're mediocre (and then go back to playing D1/D2 almost exclusively), and bought a PS5 just so he could say he had one and didn't want it, plus made a few hundred bucks on a "Sony Fanboy". Other than that he's mostly well adjusted.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Buying a console, but deliberately not playing it while others can't get one easily?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sony allowing us to use our dual shocks with paddles instead of insisting these games can only work with a dualsense needs to change. But that would require people to stop defending that stance and actually ask for it.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
Sounds like your poor planning regarding your ps5 purchase has left you up a creek without a paddle.

OP
OP
Fadewise

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Just to be clear, I get plenty of use out of my PS5 playing enhanced PS4 games. It's just frustrating that I can't use the control schemes I want to on PS5 games which is is entirely due to Sony's restriction on using DS4 to play PS5 games. We've had MULTIPLE other threads on that subject so I don't see why this is an out-of-the-blue stance to want to be able to do that.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I have a hard time believing this is not exaggerated, given that every game has its own control scheme, so you have to build muscle memory on a game by game basis anyway.
OP uses an Elite controller so it's likely that they do what I do which is map similar controls to the same paddles for each game (you can have more than 1 profile stored on the controller).
I have to admit I do miss the paddles when I'm on my PS5, which is a lot right now since I'm playing Last of Us part 2 and R&C.

Fadewise its not quite the same but SCUF were talking about releasing a PS5 comparable controller at some point. They had no dates to share but you will at least have options in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.