• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What do I mean?

Well, for starters: Dark Samus is the only character in Ultimate who was created by an American studio. (Diddy, K. Rool and Banjo are European). The rest were all made by Japanese studios. So in terms of representation, it's really mostly a celebration of Japanese gaming icons with any other country just maybe getting a bone thrown at them like with Banjo-Kazooie.

(I honestly suspect the reason they revealed Banjo along with Hero is because Dragon Quest is only huge in Japan, so they threw in Banjo like "Here. Here's your stupid bear and bird. Now leave me alone")

It just seems really with most of the choices for DLC, they were made with the Japanese market in mind, not really accounting for the worldwide market. Going forward, they need to try to be more globally minded with Smash Bros. rosters. It'd be nice is all.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
like who? I can see Rayman being in, Shantae, I guess. they both already have/had representation, so coming back would make sense. I still think MK deserves as spot. maybe Crash too

but given the roster size, and the need to appeal everywhere, there's not too many options

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So in terms of representation, it's really mostly a celebration of Japanese gaming icons with any other country just maybe getting a bone thrown at them like with Banjo-Kazooie.
In all honesty, there's not much coming to mind as far as Western gaming icons are concerned. Like who is there outside of maybe Scorpion, Crash or Master Chief? I'd say Rayman too but honestly it's kind of a stretch to call him an icon, especially nowadays.

None of these characters are culturally relevant in Japan, and that's the main market for Smash at the end of the day.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about that part. I do think that Ultimate and especially its DLC is more focused on the typical gamer demographic than previous Smash games, though, which is what pushes more towards the "anime swordsman".

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Give some examples op
They can start with the diversity problems of the roster.
www.resetera.com

89 Characters & Not a Single Black Character: The Anti-Blackness of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This thread was initially written not long after the release of Pyra/Mythra, with the 5th character of Fighters Pass Vol. 2 not yet revealed & us being under the impression that Fighters Pass Vol. 2 would be the end of the road for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It was later updated...

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai explicitly likes to promote Japanese games with Smash, so I'd set your expectations low there as long as he's running things.

Japanese games are gradually losing their presence in the global market with every passing year, and there is data to support this conclusion. Pokémon GO has taken the world by storm as of late, but the game was developed by Niantic Inc. and The Pokémon Company. In other words, it was not an exclusively Japanese effort.

It all depends on the next project I undertake, but I've already proven Japanese games can resonate with the rest of the world, and I'd like to continue doing so in whatever way I can.

Thankfully, Smash was a game that ended up supporting a lot of other games. It's been proven that including a character as a fighter generates publicity for said character and their respective series. I'm very pleased that Smash can positively promote other titles.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Except DQ Hero almost all chars are globally minded. And even DQ isn't some unknown alien thing outside Japan, its just not big.

Neoxon pointed out an actual issue with the roster above. Though I think that issue extends to almost the entirety of gaming.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
It's much easier to sell a game worldwide with primarily Japanese game characters who are mostly pretty popular overseas, versus western game characters who are niche to unknown in Japan. To be honest the West doesn't have much going for it in terms of iconic game characters that don't already have representation as fighters or Mii costumes already.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm figuring the next Smash won't have any guest characters at first, as not to complicate things. Nintendo only, which is a Japanese company after all.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They are global minded for the most part, doesn't mean that there couldn't be more diversity in the roster.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is the fourth speculative thread about the next Smash Bros I've seen in the past hour.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
like who? I can see Rayman being in, Shantae, I guess. they both already have/had representation, so coming back would make sense. I still think MK deserves as spot. maybe Crash too

but given the roster size, and the need to appeal everywhere, there's not too many options
The problem with Mortal Kombat is that is literally a non-entity in Japan (MK11 is banned from being released over there). As for Crash, fuck Activision Blizzard.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
As with the diversity problem, no one has any actual good / realistic suggestions of who to add, but just want it to happen.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. Would love to see Call of Duty Dude, Battlefield Dude, and Fortnite Default Dude duking it out in the next Smash.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Would love to see Call of Duty Dude, Battlefield Dude, and Fortnite Default Dude duking it out in the next Smash.

The next Smash can just be PS All-Stars Battle Royale with Mario in it. A bunch of boring white guys with guns all shooting each other while Mario is screaming in the background.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I'm gonna be blunt with you guys expression doubts about any characters.

if they can get Sora in, anyone is possible. (Except for maybe Sony owned characters)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are not many gaming icons with any significant history on Nintendo systems who aren't from Japan. Crash, Rayman, and Jonesy are the only ones I'd point to that aren't in Ultimate in some form (and Rayman had a trophy in 4)

faint

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Master Chief and Rayman, can you provide an example of someone you thinking is deserving to be in Smash? I think every DLC character with the exception of Byleth and Pyra have the global appeal and recognition required to be in a game like Smash.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sakurai explicitly likes to promote Japanese games with Smash, so I'd set your expectations low there as long as he's running things.
Yeah this is always going to be the sticking point I think. And Nintendo has always been pretty Japan-centric as a company.

Outside of the occasional character with a huge amount of requests like Banjo or a game with a big following in Japan like Minecraft I don't imagine many western fighters will be added to Smash in the future.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
For a game all about the celebration of videogames and iconic characters, Lara Croft should definitely have been there.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Like I said in the other thread. Sakurai needs to retire from making Smash.

Too many issues all boil down to "Sakurai said this or wanted this".

I feel like any other Japanese creator wouldn't really diverge much from Sakurai's choices, except for the weird FE favoritism.

No one there is suddenly going to bat for Western characters if they are not popular in Japan to begin with. The roster is pretty global already and we will never see another Lucas case ever again.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It just seems really with most of the choices for DLC, they were made with the Japanese market in mind, not really accounting for the worldwide market.

a68154cefeb3cd062e47ec93ddc80fe9.png

Go ahead and explain.

Go ahead.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like any other Japanese creator wouldn't really diverge much from Sakurai's choices, except for the weird FE favoritism.

No one there is suddenly going to bat for Western characters if they are not popular in Japan to begin with. The roster is pretty global already and we will never see another Lucas case ever again.
You are probably right but I am willing to go for this change. Who knows, maybe they will change things up?

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
Lara Croft is the only western character that I'd really want in and would fit. I can't really think of many other iconic western characters that aren't just dudes with guns.

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
(I honestly suspect the reason they revealed Banjo along with Hero is because Dragon Quest is only huge in Japan, so they threw in Banjo like "Here. Here's your stupid bear and bird. Now leave me alone")

If anything, it would be the other way around, they showed Hero cause no one knows Banjo in Japan.

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Master Chief and Rayman, can you provide an example of someone you thinking is deserving to be in Smash? I think every DLC character with the exception of Byleth and Pyra have the global appeal and recognition required to be in a game like Smash.

I think all below are deserving of Smash...

Master Chief
Lara Croft
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman
Scorpion
Doom Guy
Spyro

And a personal biased favourite (my second most wanted character after Bomberman)... Joanna Dark. Conker would fit right in too.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is a reaction thread; the discussion can fit in one of the existing Smash threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.