• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
First of all… I'm very excited for Kena like a lot of people. Game looks amazing.

I was browsing the PS5 store last night and noticed that it was only $40. I also know that it's kind of a new studio, that in the past has focused mainly on animation work (and it shows in Kena's beautiful trailers). It's also a cross gen title (not that any of the other really suffered from that, but keep it in mind).

I'm afraid my hype levels are going to get the best of me on this one. Just got to remember that it's a small game, developed by a smaller studio… it's not going to be the next Zelda.

I think best case scenario is we get like a 6-8 hour adventure that has decent gameplay and beautiful graphics and it's success sets the studio up in the future for something much larger for Kena.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Maybe I'm going crazy, but didn't we have this exact thread almost word for word not long ago...

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
My expectation has always been a short length pretty to look at action adventure game. I uh, really don't know what others were getting out of it if anything different than that.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
This could be another Kameo.

Great first game and then it gets swallowed by a giant company never to be seen or heard of again .......

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Maybe I'm going crazy, but didn't we have this exact thread almost word for word not long ago...

www.resetera.com

I'm a bit worried that Kena Bridge of Spirits will disappoint alot of gamers

It seems Playtation gamers are hyping this title through the roof and mentioning it along the big hitters like Horizon, Ratchet, GOW of 2021. Am I the only one that thinks it won't review well? While the game looks incredible in cutscenes, looks a bit average in gameplay, it's animation looks...

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
Literally everything you said is fine with me lol

And it's about what I was expecting anyway. What exactly did you have in mind for this game, OP?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
What a weird ass thread

Game is cheaper and available on a bunch of platforms, it must suck!

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Why? I never built it up to be anything other than another game no one has seen or played yet. If you built it up too high, you need to ask yourself why you'd do something like that. It makes zero sense.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take it if is better Kameo tbh. Don't have really high expectations and won't end up disappointed for sure.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What is it about this game specifically and 100+ people posting to keep expectations in check about it?

It's so weird. You barely see this with any other games.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I expect a 100 hour adventure filled with the biggest open world map ever created.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I used to say it's a dark horse GOTY candidate. Now, it's a shoe in fit for GOTY noms. It definitely has climbed up the betting ladder to win for sure.

I don't judge games based on length, quality is all that counts. The story looks incredible with production that I expect out of any top tier developer. Gameplay looks solid to great. It also appears to be designed with a hub world, but that needs confirmation. If so, then Kena will at least win breakout of the year.

Blame me for the hype I guess, but I intend to remain bullish on Kena.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I don't get this thread at all. They've been pretty clear on what the game is and I think it looks great. Are we starving for things to worry about or something?

Bakura

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I also wasn't interested once I saw the price, was hoping they asked for $70 instead.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Is the OP readinig the same threads I am. The Zelda comparisons are minimal to the expectations of it being a small game. Most people are hyped simply because of how beautiful it looks. We are mostly appreciating the artwork just like people did for Cuphead.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
It's never looked particularly good outside of the visuals. The combat looks like it has no weight to it at all and I'm expecting the puzzles to be pretty simplistic. I don't doubt it will be a nice charming game but I doubt it will be GOTY caliber at all, and that's ok.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
This game will preemptively destroy BotW2, Horizon: Forbidden West, and Halo Infinite.

I need to commission some fan art of Kena surrounded by defeated Link, Aloy, and Master Chief, like this Chapulín Colorado art

f858d91b46cebe9f4ce56649268e75e0.jpg

Or this Popeye depiction

nateblue-superman-vs-goku.png

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
What's wrong with a game being $40, isn't the 'a game's price is not reflective of it's quality' argument made all the time?

I personally don't care for the game. This and Ori have very similar styles to them... is there a word for it? I want to say 'kitschy', but that's probably completely wrong.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I'm just in for a nice adventure with some nice environments, I don't need it to be Blood Borne.

It looks fresh and that's enough.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
All of Era, right now: "Who actually thinks this game is going to be that big?"

All of Era, when it releases: "Sucks that it's so short, I was hoping it would be a full length game"

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pumped for Kena and my expectations, in terms of scope, are something along the lines of Concrete Genie or The Pathless. A short adventure.

I don't feel like we've been shown anything to suggest that's some Zelda sized epic where you explore a whole world map.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
I think it looks incredible. But I keep expectations in check, and I have some reservations, mainly regarding that maybe combat will run the risk of becoming monotonous. It's clear EL has a background as animators, I jut hope they also have proficiency in game and UI/UX design.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting:

- around 6 hours
- very linear
- you dodge, shoot, cast some spells
- a handful of enemy variaty (5-6)
- maybe some light puzzles with the Rots?

- gorgeous game.

Can't wait for it (that Epic deal sucks though...). This seems right my alley. Short and sweet.

What is it about this game specifically and 100+ people posting to keep expectations in check about it?

It's so weird. You barely see this with any other games.

I understand. Some people are interested in the game but might be worried that the negative reaction due to the hype will suck the life of the game. Image the quality of the OT thread if it is all about being frustrated with unrealistic expectations.

At least for me, it seems like a small game, and I would prefer for it to be judged this way.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like it extremely easy to see what type of game it is and set expectations according it's an indie game, by a small new studio and looks absolutely beautiful, but will probably be fairly short. Anyone expecting the next Zelda (why would you even? Nothing at all has pointed to that) is just being silly.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a ton of turmoil in this game's studio? It looks good but that gives me pause.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like it's going to be a short, middle of an adventure game where you only learn bit and pieces about the protagonist and her destination or mission. We'll just spends time restoring the village and its inhabitants then the story ends with a sequel or full game hook.

5h main story, 7h including collectable sidequests.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.