• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So I kept seeing controversy surrounding the Senran Kagura games and someone I used to hang out online with always took the opportunity to voraciously defend them. Obviously there's the stuff about the sexualization but I kept hearing that behind that there was supposedly a good story with good character development or something. Supposedly this new one that came out for PS4, Switch, and PC is a remake of a re-release of the first one so I went ahead and rented it. Only played like three missions or something but I might play a few more.

The 16-year-old scantily clad anime girls technically aren't all that's there, but I don't really see anything that justifies how the characters are depicted visually.

Okay, the basic concept of the story actually makes sense: There are modern ninjas who work for corporations and politicians, and there are government ninjas, two sides of a coin. That sounds like the basis of a potentially cool anime or something. Then you've got the characters who have an array of personalities and and backgrounds getting into high school shenanigans as part of a secret ninja-training faction of a regular school. So far so good. There are even visual novel segments that do a fairly good job of telling stories to develop these characters with actual themes and stuff. It's probably not Fate/Stay Night or Persona or Utawarerumono, but not really bad either. Mechanically, it feels like Ninja Gaiden on a budget. Not amazing, but an effective button-mashing system (at least from what I saw of this one game). I'm not gonna fault it for being a low-budget game. To its credit, these games tend to be available on platforms where there are no Ninja Gaiden games.

But enemies having their clothes stripped off when you attack them? Your character getting an attack boost in some kind of underwear mode where you do a touch gesture to figuratively rip their clothes off? Really? And they're all canonically high-school-aged (I think one of the girls' grandmother is playable in one game). At least the developers are upfront about it and people can just ignore these games if they want, but is there more here that I'm missing?

TLDR: If it weren't for the character designs and undressing themes, I feel like there might be a good high school ninja espionage visual novel here, but is there some deeper meaning behind those visual themes I'm missing before I move on?

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As said, there is no deeper meaning. The games exist strictly for the "fanservice".

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The one girl can turn giant when she powers up. But that might not be in the game you're playing.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
That game is banned on this discussion forum and any discussion about it is not allowed whatsoever.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
It's Dynasty Warriors with big animay tiddays, nothing more. Only the first (and 2nd 3DS) game make any sort of attempt at having a serious story.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
We can talk about Senran Kagura, just not the Switch one Shinobi Refule.

Re:Newal is banned too, which is the one i think he is talking about (OP mentions 3ds remake, its not on switch though).

I love the senran games btw, not trying to be a dickhead, saving people from getting invested into any arguments before thread is locked or whatever.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Re:Newal is banned too, which is the one i think he is talking about (OP mentions 3ds remake, its not on switch though).
Is there a list of banned on this forum that could be read?
Because Re:Newal does nothing wrong to warrant a ban compared to the other titles I've heard that cant be discussed here
(not to say that the whole clothes removal combat isnt bad)

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ReNewal actually has a story I'd consider worth playing through. It's rudimentary in some ways, but gives an intriguing take on a tale of morality and inherent societal biases. Might be nothing new to you depending on what literature you choose to engross yourself, but framed around a colorful and bubbly cast of characters I found it enjoyable.

Then there's the combat. After getting a handle of the air dashes and combo cancelling you can produce long strings of attacks that feel very satisfying. The game feels more like Sengoku Basara (which is among my favorite beat em ups ever) than a Dynasty Warriors. The Transformation mechanics also mix battles up and give some more depth to how you choose to take encounters.

Overall within an hour or so you can tell if it's a game that's for you or not, but I think it's worth at least giving a shot if you're a fan of beat em ups and/or enjoy the characters.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
No deeper meaning, but as you've already discovered, the main stories in each game are pretty fun. The individual character stories are raw fluff and imo worth skipping unless you need more.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
is that the weird touch one, or the one where the boobs become meat or sommit
Out of curiosity, why that one in particular?
The game is literally "rub a girls hand, touch the girl wherever, massage." I ain't describing more to shift discussion but there plenty of videos out there on YouTube. It's just creepy.

I love the senran games btw, not trying to be a dickhead, saving people from getting invested into any arguments before thread is locked or whatever.
Well fuck. That wasn't on the list last time I checked. Shinobi Refule I understand but I wonder why that ones banned...

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
ReNewal actually has a story I'd consider worth playing through. It's rudimentary in some ways, but gives an intriguing take on a tale of morality and inherent societal biases. Might be nothing new to you depending on what literature you choose to engross yourself, but framed around a colorful and bubbly cast of characters I found it enjoyable.

Sounds like it'd be better if I just ran through a visual novel (or light novel) version of this.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you actually give the games a shot, he's not wrong. People see the cover or a few trailers and make immediate assumptions about the series. I can't fault people like that, but there's more to the game than what it may appear to be. The whole series is about conflicting moralities and the ambiguities of perspective and goes in more depth with each mainline entry (and the Versus games).

Sounds like it'd be better if I just ran through a visual novel (or light novel) version of this.
I mean like I said the gameplay is still worth playing for. Not a ton of modern beat em ups, so this is one of the few I can stick to.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at that it's perfectly understandable why that Switch game was banned but I have no idea why that other Senran game is banned it does nothing more extreme then any of the other Senran Kagura games.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
The first game was mildly amusing when it debuted on 3DS (huehue 3d bewbs lelel) but the gimmick got old quick. With 3D out of the picture now, these games got no novelty. Just a crappy dynasty warriors clone with shitty combat and misogynistic cringy sexual themes. DOA has been doing this shit way before SK so it's hardly original. Honestly, would that many people care if this series went up and vanished....?

The fact that two of the games in the series is banned from discussion on this site should tell you alot about these games.

Last edited:

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, a Senran Kagura that released on PC PS4 and the Switch? I don't think such a game exists.

I guess you're talking about Re:Newal, which is a combination of the story of the original 3DS game and the gameplay from the more recent Versus series. I personally wouldn't recommend it because the gameplay of the Versus games is a lot less enjoyable than the gameplay from either 3DS game. Where the first 3DS game was just a fun simple 2D hack n slash and the second 3DS game had some crazy combo potential and fun boss battles, the Versus games never felt more than a budget musou that never reaches the depth nor scale of a actual musou or hack n slash game.

For the story, it's basically a pretty average visual novel with too much fanservice. I personally thought it was interesting enough to follow along when I played it back on the 3DS, though they set up the story and the characters at a very slow pace. I don't know if Re:Newal keeps that intact because I haven't played it, it's usually it's the gameplay that keeps me interested and I didn't feel like buying into what looks like a Versus port cash grab.

Dec 23, 2017
I picked up Estival VS for the Vita and eventually Shinovi VS for the PS4 after a friend recommended it awhile back. The games are ''decent'', like a dynasty warriors-lite.

Other than that, it's not my cup of tea and I don't see myself supporting the series. It's just...too far out there.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanna listen to a podcast while anime girls flail around on your screen? Play the Senran Kagura games.
This. It's my Smodcast go to series. Estival Versus is my favorite Musou-like even. Love the playstyles, combat and music. And PBS is a fun anime Splatoon.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's supposed to be dumb and goofy.

The silly sexualization is supposed to add to the comedic value of the game. I don't think there's any deeper meaning to it, the creators just like embracing the insanity they come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.