• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
Going back to GTA V made realize how shallow is Night City compared to Los Santos.

Cyberpunk 2077 was my most anticipated games since a long time and when it came out I enjoyed it but the amount of disappointment between many gamers was hard to miss. I tried to look the other way when people where pointing out all the flaws about Night City. From the non-existen AI on NPCs to how Night City was another Ubisoft open world game.

So I went back to GTA V about two days ago and I can't believe how superior is Los Santos to Night City in every way.

Night City looks amazing but that's it. There is no depth to the city. All the districts look the same sans the bad guys. The city just feels there.

Los Santos IS the game. Every neighborhood feels like a real neighborhood. For example. I went to east Los Santos and got out my car in the middle of an intersection and this is what I saw.

-Most of the small stores are Mexicans since this is a predominantly Mexican neighborhood.

-NPCs having a real conversation in Spanish

-NPCs driving cars blasting Mexican music

I noticed all of that in like 1 minute.

Every neighborhood has their own nuances. Venice Beach is packed all day long and is empty by the night. North Los Santos is empty by the morning but is packed by night(that's were most of the night clubs are). South Los Santos gets dangerous by night; It's no uncommon to see police chases and shootings at night.

And there are all the little details; you see a billboard advertising a product or something and you can go online and learn about it! You can blow up a truck from any company and watch their stocks go down. You can listen to the radio and Tv and learn more about Los Santos tru commercials and ads.

I can go on and on about all the little detail but the game made realize that Cyberpunk 2077's open world can't even compare what Los Santos has to offer and what a waste of potential of a open world game CP 2077 is.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's how every open world game feels after Xenoblade Chronicles X

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Makes me think of this:

It's funny that some of 2077's defense force tries to argue that Cyberpunk wasn't meant to be a sandbox game like GTA5, and they are half right. Cyperbunk wanted to go BEYOND that. Time and time we heard how night city would be alive, how it would be the most incredible open world ever designed. And on top of that we would have a gameplay like Deus Ex/Dishonored in terms of options and a choice-driven narrative like the best RPGs.

And in the end they couldn't even make cops drive cars.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Totally agree of course, but also not really a fair comparison. They're totally different games, made by studios with vastly different resources.

At the end of the day there is no other studio that can do what Rockstar does.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
CDPR's biggest mistake was trying to set itself up as a competitor to Rockstar with this game in its marketing.
Totally agree of course, but also not really a fair comparison. They're totally different games, made by studios with vastly different resources.

At the end of the day there is no other studio that can do what Rockstar does.
CDPR kept advertising the game as the "next generation of open world gaming", so I mean, it's kinda on them.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Play Watch Dogs 2. Maybe WD Legion, though I haven't been able to play through it because either Steam, or WDL had a update that made the game crash when it launched when Steam was running (I can't play without Steam Controller, I'm to attached. Still waiting to buy a DualSense and move to another game profiler to be free of Steam overlay).

WD2 is amazing, especially for a cyber punk feeling. WDL is more cyberpunk than WD2, WD2 is like the start of a world becoming fully CP. There's even people with computers implanted under their skins in WD2.

I love WD2's world and interactive NPCs. I found myself trying to see how they'd react to my drones and many ways of interacting with them. I want more of that, WDL had less I feel in favor of their new recruit anyone system, which is nice. Hopefully next WD have the best of both. Also R.I.P. Marcus, such a fun, positive main character.
58CjhHX.jpg

AKYbnbv.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Makes me think of this:

It's funny that some of 2077's defense force tries to argue that Cyberpunk wasn't meant to be a sandbox game like GTA5, and they are half right. Cyperbunk wanted to go BEYOND that. Time and time we heard how night city would be alive, how it would be the most incredible open world ever designed. And on top of that we would have a gameplay like Deus Ex/Dishonored in terms of options and a choice-driven narrative like the best RPGs.

I like the one that compares cyperpunk with some mobile GTA clone, it was shocking

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Yeah, Cyberpunks world is pretty shallow compared to just about anything.

The thing is, there are amazing characters in Cyberpunk. Take Judy, for example. She is among the best characters in a video game from at least the last 10 years. Her story really connected with me. The last mission related to her arc was so moving. I loved it.

But that's it. This impressive character is right in the middle of so much mediocre and plain awful stuff. It's maddening.

Can someone please rescue Judy from this game and give the character her own thing?? And then go rescue the person responsible for the creation of this character from the hellhole of a company that seems to be CDPR.

Last edited:

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
CDPR's biggest mistake was trying to set itself up as a competitor to Rockstar with this game in its marketing.

CDPR kept advertising the game as the "next generation of open world gaming", so I mean, it's kinda on them.

They definitely did a terrible job of managing expectations, ther's no doubt about that.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Can I snag a link to the discord for coordinating Cyberpunk threads

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been frequently saying that Cyberpunk's erasure is doing it a favor, that way people won't experience how fucking empty and boring that waste of energy is/was- if they never play it, it will retain some form of vague mystery.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I still haven't played CP2077 even though I pre-ordered it. I was holding out hope that maybe they could match their promises after enough patches, but at this point I think I'll have to give up on that dream and accept that how things are is likely how they will stay.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Makes me think of this:

Pretty stark. Can't wait for GTA6.
Rockstar are on a league of their own when it comes to building a world.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Damn imagine making an open world game in this style and taking almost nothing from GTA V which has been out for two generations. It's crazy watching these videos.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i am someone who was obsessed with CDPR after Witcher 3. The videos showing me what Cyberpunk is truly like and comparing them to GTAV, have made me not even touch my copy in Steam.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Play Watch Dogs 2. Maybe WD Legion, though I haven't been able to play through it because either Steam, or WDL had a update that made the game crash when it launched when Steam was running (I can't play without Steam Controller, I'm to attached. Still waiting to buy a DualSense and move to another game profiler to be free of Steam overlay).

WD2 is amazing, especially for a cyber punk feeling. WDL is more cyberpunk than WD2, WD2 is like the start of a world becoming fully CP. There's even people with computers implanted under their skins in WD2.

I love WD2's world and interactive NPCs. I found myself trying to see how they'd react to my drones and many ways of interacting with them. I want more of that, WDL had less I feel in favor of their new recruit anyone system, which is nice. Hopefully next WD have the best of both. Also R.I.P. Marcus, such a fun, positive main character.
Vouch for WD2. San Francisco felt alive

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The cities in Witcher 3 are more impressive than Night City.

That's what I can't figure out - how did they go backwards so fast from Witcher 3?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Yeah Rockstar does the open world well. However, everything else: quests, characters, writing, gameplay is better in Cyberpunk 2077.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk is a very shallow world in comparison to mid tier open world games, let alone GTA V.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What a fall from grace for CDPR.

They'll bounce back with Witcher 4 and we'll sing their praises again, I'm sure.
they lost the director and public opinion is at an all time low. Not to mention since Witcher 3 came out other open world titles have taken what they did and done it too (that is to say that side quests were less go hunt 5 rabbits and were more involved).

I don't think a solid Witcher 4 title will make people forget everything. It'll improve image but they've already peaked and fallen down from public opinion. This is like Bioware post EA buy out levels of negativity from me.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
No one can match Rockstar when it comes to the level of detail in a open world environment, it's also the fifith installment of a long time series, while Cyberpunk is a new IP.

But, it's on CDProjekt for making promises beyond reality.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm gonna reinstall GTA5 now lol

CP2077 is a fucking embarrassment of a game. It shows how much CD Project doesn't "get" what makes an open world game fun and immersive. Things like the cops are just even more wtf.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
And yet I still vastly enjoyed Cyberpunk more than any GTA game that isn't San Andreas. I never expected it to be an open world sandbox life simulator, I just wanted a good RPG and that's exactly what I got.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
And yet I still vastly enjoyed Cyberpunk more than any GTA game that isn't San Andreas. I never expected it to be an open world sandbox life simulator, I just wanted a good RPG and that's exactly what I got.

I mean that's fine if you enjoyed it.

But CDPR still advertised the game as being the "next-generation of Open World Gaming" and it's open world wasn't even as good as a game from the PS3-360 era.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is they actively tried to market it though as being super advanced in that area. Personally I don't care. The open world for me is just a set dressing. I don't need an open world like GTA to actively invest myself that way. The world just has to kind of look right. The main characters and side characters are what matter to me.

I'm not playing the game though until the next gen update comes, specifically the series X update.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Does Cyberpunk still do the colored circles to simulate lights from distant traffic? I'm pretty sure every other open world game does a similar optimization trick, but it was so in your face in this game, there where times where I could never encounter another vehicle while driving around, but see all these moving circles appearing and disappearing within my field of view

It happens too when you are in a vehicle on-rails during story scenes.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the Witcher 3 and its world, my game of last gen. I was never interested in Cyperpunk, so I didn't ever touch it. But I saw and heard a lot of awful things about it. What happened? Did the team change? Did talent leave CDPR in droves after The Witcher 3?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
We are limiting threads on Cyberpunk 2077. Please see the first post in the OT for why, and please continue discussion there. Thank you.

www.resetera.com

Cyberpunk 2077 |OT| Welcome to Night City (READ THE OP BEFORE YOU POST)

Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077? CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this...

Status
Not open for further replies.