• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering the fact that at $100 more, you're getting a PS5 which is more powerful than the Series S with the same technical specification as the standard edition. will it negatively affect the Series S sales or will it have no impact?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
People that want a PS5 won't get a Xbox.
People that want a Xbox won't get a PS5.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
PS5DE would be $399 + hundreds of dollars for games.

Series S would be $299 + $10 a month for hundreds of games. Still a better value proposition

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I think a $399 PS5 DE doesnt change much.

Xbox All Access will be a bigger player than people think.

Walking out of a store with a next gen console and over 200 games for $25 or $35 is a huge deal.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Series S + Game Pass is massive value. I think many people forget that buying games for launch consoles always bumps up that price massively.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Series S would be $299 + $10 a month for hundreds of games. Still a better value proposition

Game Pass is available now with about 200 (?) games, people still buy PS4 and Switch (that doesn't even have price drops).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
no/limited impact

At launch its enthusiasts. Regardless of price you aren't getting mass market in - they only bought XB1S a couple years ago so aren't in the market for a new console yet.

So xbox fans will buy xbox, Sony fans will buy playstation. If Playstation is expensive, PS fans may wait for a price drop, I doubt they'd buy a series S. especially at launch where the lineup isn't really much different from current gen, just in higher quality.

XSS feels more like a way to get Xbox owners to convert across quickly, build an addressable market for gamepass as fast as possible because you know playstation will likely sell more boxes overall so that initial momentum is important. And its smart to target the likely majority of homes that have 1080p TVs with a cost-engineered box designed for that as a target

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
OP's assuming that the gap in price between the PS5DE and the regular PS5 would definitely be $100. Who's to say that Sony doesn't try to go for 449 for the system?

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confident Sony would be having a loss at that price (and yeah, I too think that both PS5 and XSX at $499 would also be at loss).

Now, about your question, that would be a bold move by Sony and one that Microsoft is not wanting to happen hence the waiting for the price reveal.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
A majority of the people who would even be in the market at launch likely already know which console they are getting regardless of price.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's possible to know the impact, as there's still many questions. We don't know the impact All Access will have, there's never been such a low upfront cost into gaming before. We don't know the tangible differences in graphics between the different consoles. We don't know the full picture on backwards compatibility. We don't even know the launch lineups yet.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

Game Pass is available right now and PS4s still outsell the One.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Whats stopping people from getting a cheap Xbox with gamepass right now? Mainstream will value the 399 ps5 by far.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication

Do Not Create: Response Threads

A response thread is a thread created to 'respond' or react to a discussion that is already ongoing in an existing thread. This happens when a member wants to shout over posters in the other thread, or because they believe that their opinion is more important than the other replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.