• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xx

• xx

• xx

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm interested in the "punching a Nazi" discussions that have been going around on the internet in recent months, especially spurred on by the rise in visible white nationalists and neo-nazis at events like the "Deploraball" after Trump's inauguration, the "Unite the Right" white nationalist and nazi march in Charlotesville, and other similar public displays of white supremacist hate in the U.S.

I have seen the discussion going on a lot around the forum and also across the wider internet. Everyone agrees that it is totally justified to punch a Nazi that is menacing or threatening imminent physical violence. The incidents that are sparking conversation are those that involve known nazis or white nationalists being punched just as they walk down the street or conduct interviews. The most famous example is probably white supremacist Richard Spencer getting punched in the face while speaking to a reporter on inauguration day in 2017.

eb44cfesvjilkdfna7lq.gif

Famous nazi punching incident from January 2017.
There are many articles in websites like Jezebel and Huffington Post that are in total celebration of this punch and others like it. I basically agree and honestly I really take pleasure from seeing this punch, as someone who despises Spencer and the resurgence of the ideology he represents.

I also saw this topic discussed in a recent episode of the legal drama TV series The Good Fight, where the plot revolved around Nazis getting punched preemptively and where one of the main characters makes this defense of Nazi punching:

Is it alright to hit a Nazi unprovoked? I was always taught never to throw the first punch, never to instigate. Defend, but don't attack. But then I saw a video of the white nationalist Richard Spencer being punched in the face during an interview. I realized Spencer was in a pressed suit, wearing a tie, being interviewed like his opinion mattered — like it should be considered part of the conversation, like neo-Nazism is just one political point of view. And then I realized there's no better way to show some speech is not equal. Some speech requires a more visceral response. It's like Overton's window — that's the term for which ideas are tolerated in public discourse. Well, Overton's window doesn't mean shit unless it comes with some enforcement. So yeah, this is enforcement. It's time to punch a few Nazis.
In my opinion, the guy that punched Spencer there did absolutely nothing wrong and make an important statement. But I wonder where the line is. If you think that punching a Nazi like seen in the GIF above is ok, then what about hitting them in the face with a brick. What about stabbing them? If we can all agree that someone like Richard Spencer is deserving of getting punched in the face, is there still a line that shouldn't be crossed when dealing with despicable people like this?

Edit: I also personally saw a guy with Nazi tattoos in a supermarket in China a couple weeks ago but didn't do anyting :/

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Shoutouts to anyone voting / admitting to committing attempted murder with that last poll option

Isak_Borg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Shoutouts to anyone voting / admitting to committing attempted murder with that last poll option

Well, I have 14 words for you "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for minority children".

I'll protect my people from anyone that would have us exterminated and if that means eliminating a threat before it grows too big so be it.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Better to just shun them from society than outright violence.

A reminder that you can easily kill someone if you punch them just right or they fall wrong and you can end up in prison.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they get beat up but I'm not doing it. If the police shows up the optics will look bad enough that my life will be in danger. Good luck for those who do.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
let's not make a poll about killing people

Status
Not open for further replies.