• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
www.ign.com

PlayStation 5 Review - 2023 Update - IGN

In 2023, the slimmed-down PlayStation 5 maintains all of its strengths. Extremely fast loading times and a best-in-class controller make it a pleasure to use.

PS5 games can be stored on an external HDD but need to be copied back to the SSD to play, though the near-instantaneous loading times for PS5 games make this palatable.

Gamespot reported otherwise for some reason

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
" though the near-instantaneous loading times for PS5 games make this palatable. "

Huh?

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
We def need clarification on this. Both are fairly reputable. Given the small initial ssd size this is a big issue.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
That's better than nothing. Better than having to redoenload.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's been kind of coy about it but yeah next gen would be pretty fucked if either console wasn't able to use an external hard drive as cold storage. Glad it's confirmed on PS5.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't think this is correct. If it is then I certainly haven't been able to figure out how to do it. As I mentioned in my review, you can copy PS4 games but not PS5 games: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/11/ps5_review_-_the_future_of_playstation#external-hdd

ps5-review-playstation-5-external-hdd-1.original.jpg

Maybe IGN found an option I didn't?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's super strange considering the support video that came out yesterday:

At 1:23: "We highly recommend storing your PlayStation 4 games on an extended storage device to free up your SSD for PlayStation 5 games that require it."

Something doesn't sound right.

Edit: Disregard my post. I read the title as "PS4 games can be stored..."

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
This is how I intended to use my 1TB SSD, as a sort of hot swap backup. Any news on how fast a 50gb-ish game copies over?

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
This was known since the first PS5 event.

External HDD can be used to store PS5 games, but they require the SSD to play.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Why is there so much confusion about this? Doesn't GameSpot say the opposite?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
IGN appears to be the outlier here, everyone else I've seen has said Sony disabled this feature (at least in the pre-release firmware)

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.