• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainMain

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2019
Shujin Academy
I feel like Mai, while on one hand adding in more female representation, wouldn't be that much of a valuable representation with her sexualized appearance. I would have personally want to see more representation from the Persona series, or hell even more Xeno Saga rep.

Also I feel tired from reading all of Twitter's complaints about Mai not being added in, it's honestly the stupidest thing I've seen in the last couple weeks.

And I guess I should have added this to the title, but this is in context for Super Smash Bros Ultimate and how Terry got in (which I don't care for at all to be honest, never grew up with SNK).

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I feel like Mai, while on one hand adding in more female representation, wouldn't be that much of a valuable representation with her sexualized appearance. I would have personally want to see more representation from the Persona series, or hell even more Xeno Saga rep.

Also I feel tired from reading all of Twitter's complaints about Mai not being added in, it's honestly the stupidest thing I've seen in the last couple weeks.
I don't think Mai ever had a chance. She's not even the most popular female SNK character, Nakoruru is, and Nakoruru is more of leading lady in her series.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Um but the complaints aren't even about her being playable she never had a chance of being playable after Terry was announced.

The "backlash" comes from her not even making a cameo in the KoF stage which feature most of SNK's most popular and iconic Fighting Game characters even though she's up there with Terry as SNK's most iconic character. Of course looking into what Sakurai said and his history with CERO it makes sense they didn't want to deal with that for a cameo but it still sucks to see and Sakurai acknowledged it himself too

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like as a character? Yeah, she never really had a chance. I'd have picked her over Terry but it's not like a huge loss. People are mostly just complaining about her not getting a stage cameo, I think, which is mostly just harmless "aww that's too bad" from what I've seen. (Though I wouldn't be too surprised if people were railing against censorship or something, that just sort of comes with the territory.)

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part of the OP is when you point out you don't care about Terry being in Smash because you didn't grow up with SNK.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Like as a character? Yeah, she never really had a chance. I'd have picked her over Terry but it's not like a huge loss. People are mostly just complaining about her not getting a stage cameo, I think, which is mostly just harmless "aww that's too bad" from what I've seen. (Though I wouldn't be too surprised if people were railing against censorship or something, that just sort of comes with the territory.)

she could have been wearing the full Kimono she sometimes has in victory animations or stage backgrounds, but whatever :D

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
mai-kof13-walkforward.gif

i love Mai

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
She really should be included they could've found a way to cover her up a little but it's not a big deal..especially cause they are just background stage appearances lol.

OP
OP
MainMain

MainMain

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2019
Shujin Academy
My favorite part of the OP is when you point out you don't care about Terry being in Smash because you didn't grow up with SNK.
I mean, it's true. Never really had any nostalgic connection with the SNK series so my feelings on Terry being added in are neutral at best, kind of a waste at worst due to his button combo moveset heavily breaking SSB tradition.

Terry's stage in Smash has a lot of SNK characters that can show up in the background, and Sakurai made a crack about Mai not being able to appear without raising the game's rating.
My apologies then, I thought the context was her not being playable, rather than being a background character.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I don't think Mai ever had a chance. She's not even the most popular female SNK character, Nakoruru is, and Nakoruru is more of leading lady in her series.

You say "She's not even the most popular female SNK character" like she's way down the list or something. According to SNK's latest popularity poll, she's literally their fourth most popular character overall, man or woman.

Di9dUP6VsAEb3lz.jpg

Nov 23, 2017
When they don't put her in : Where the f uck is she SNK best character most loved character where's the female rperesentation??
when they have to make her wear clothes to put her in a E+10 CERO for kids game: WTF why is she censored?Japanese gamers blame Americans/NOA for censorship, western writers say Nintendo censors women and sexuality, etc etc

Gamer Outrage (TM) make it so they would never be able to win and it's clearly easier to just focus on other great characters SNK has. Yet another Nintendo censored muh favorite female characters sexuality is NOT the PR they need when theyre getting blasted about Pokemon

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Her design was shit then, and it is shit now.

In fact, the DoA series exists on the same basis as Mai, bouncing breasts and fan service.

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
So you're glad a character didn't make it in in any form because you'd rather have completely unrelated characters appear in the game? Despite the two things having nothing to do with each other? Seems a bit spiteful.

Status
Not open for further replies.