• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EDIT3: Thread is over because I got my answer (thanks to those who answered it for me). The fuck is wrong with some of you though? Who enters a thread to complain and then ask for someone to get banned over asking for help understanding something? If you don't like seeing a thread or you think a topic is annoying, THE IGNORE BUTTON IS RIGHT THERE. If you don't use it then it's your fault. I didn't ruin your day by asking for help.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the Epic Store is missing lots and lots of crucial features and where is the competition?
Buying games exclusively with their Tencent money does nothing for proper competition, where devs get a better cut or we as customers better deals
and services.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
because it has less features and they literally pay devs to come to them instead of the store with more features?

I don't see what's so hard to understand there

Oct 25, 2017
Steam isn't a monopoly, you can buy steam games in a million different places. Steam has tons of features and has been reliable for years and years. There's no benefit to users when Epic locks up an exclusive, only to Epic.

I use the Epic store, I've bought two games and have cashed in all the freebies (though I've barely touched any of them) and I fully understand why people don't want or need the Epic store in their life.

One positive thing I can say about EGS games is that when I launch them from the desktop when the client isn't already running, it's pretty quick to get going, unlike Ubi or Steam (though I always leave Steam running to avoid that issue).

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I also don't mind the Epic store. Bought plenty of games on there that aren't on Steam yet and will probably keep doing so. Steam overlay and friends list is nice but I can always tab out of a game if I need to check the internet or forums for anything relating to the game I'm playing. Best advice I can give is just let people get on with hating on Epic and get on with playing games.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
It's been a couple of years now and if you still doesn't know the problems with it, you're willfully being ignorant.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9306

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because the Epic Store is missing lots and lots of crucial features and where is the competition?
Buying games exclusively with their Tencent money does nothing for proper competition, where devs get a better cut or we as customers better deals
and services.

But doesn't Epic take a smaller cut than Steam does? (Their 12% to Steam's 30%)

www.ign.com

Report: Steam's 30% Cut Is Actually the Industry Standard - IGN

A breakdown of how much every major retailer takes from the sale of a game.

GameRetailerCuts_infographic-1.png

I get what everyone's saying about the missing functionality though.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
It makes Steam feel like a premium experience. But sometimes the prices are nice.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I also don't mind the Epic store. Bought plenty of games on there that aren't on Steam yet and will probably keep doing so. Steam overlay and friends list is nice but I can always tab out of a game if I need to check the internet or forums for anything relating to the game I'm playing.
Everything that everyone complains about EGS not having are things that I either don't use or don't even know exist...and wouldn't use them if I did. I get that's not everyone, but not everyone is going to be mad that features they don't use anyhow are not included either.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
This another launcher bullshit should be a ban reason at this point.

If this continues the few remaining user of PC ERA will also fuck off to another place.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9306

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a couple of years now and if your ass still doesn't know the problems with it, you're willfully being ignorant and trying to rile folks up.

I said in my OP that I'm not trying to rile people up. If anyone is, you are by accusing me of being willfully ignorant. Like I said, I've been in multiple threads and I still don't get why people hate on this store (some of the responses here are painting a better picture though.)

But furthermore, if you hate my thread soooo much, then get out of it. Nobody forced you to click here, literally nobody. Bye.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I buy games on the epic store, but what annoys me about it is it struggles to keep parity with features on steam. Most notably in terms of controller support but also steam's commitment to proton which is their linux compatibility layer. Altho I'm not all the way on Linux for my gaming needs I like to build a library up for when/if I decide to make that jump.

So generally I try and keep most stuff on steam, the thing is rather than directly compete with steam and provide a decent alternative they instead buy up exclusives and a captive audience. Which is why right now I've got stuff on epic like Hitman 3, Control, Tony Hawks. Basically games I would have had no other choice but to buy on Epic or wait for them to come to steam a year later.

It's not really a pro-consumer business model they have. In spite of all this they are nowhere near as bad as the windows store and I would sooner move my entire library to EGS than buy another game on MS's own store which is just broken and needs to be sunsetted.

I'll still buy Kingdom Hearts III when it comes to epic but I'm probably going to just double dip again for the steam version, which is silly (both by Epic and by me lol)

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
I don't hate the store, I just think exclusivity is stupid so them buying off games doesn't sit well with me.
And doesn't it still lack some basic functions? Like wishlists?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
There you go:

-Controller config for every game
-Linux support via Proton for almost every game
-Steam BPM for comfy couch gaming
-Cloud saves for the majority of new games
-Achievements for the majority of games
-Ability to play music while playing without tabbing out or on TV
-Ability to open user written guides like GameFAQs
-One click modding
-Ability to make some pocket change with games via Steam trading cards
-Family sharing (so my wife or sister can even play my games)
-Steam Remote play so a friend who doesnt own a coop game can just play it with me without him buying the game
-Steam Link for streaming to every Android device and TVs
-Ability to buy lots of games from 3rd party stores (EGS keys are not common at all)
-Streaming ability via one click

Fanta

May 27, 2018
People all have their own reasons, whether those reasons are dumb or not doesn't matter as no one has an obligation to use the store for any reason.

For me I simply just like having a single library, and just wait for whatever exclusivity there is to run out, there's nothing wrong with that.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
There you go:

-One click modding
-Steam Remote play so a friend who doesnt own a coop game can just play it with me without him buying the game
-Ability to buy lots of games from 3rd party stores (EGS keys are not common at all)
And exclusivity means we don't get access to these, *specially* family sharing which is way way way more important for me as a costumer than what publishers make from a sale, sorry.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
It's clumsy, lacks features (idgaf about stickers, cheevos or social stuff, but no cart?), prices aren't as good as they should...but I don't mind. They buy exclusives, as do platform owners.
Also, the "tencent money" and "china money" are sus af.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's just a launcher which is all I care about.
Steam has so many things I never even think about and would never ever use. I wish there was a "steam lite" i could download that just removes everything outside of the library and my friendslist

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It would have been super easy to just read a thread from earlier on about why the "it's just a launcher" nonsense used to be a bannable offense

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's vastly worse features-wise than Steam and Epic has made a point of moneyhatting third-party exclusivity purely to remove choice from the consumer.

There you go.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
It's just so barebones that the only way it has to lure players is forcing exclusives or giving away games for free.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9306

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I buy games on the epic store, but what annoys me about it is it struggles to keep parity with features on steam. Most notably in terms of controller support but also steam's commitment to proton which is their linux compatibility layer. Altho I'm not all the way on Linux for my gaming needs I like to build a library up for when/if I decide to make that jump.

So generally I try and keep most stuff on steam, the thing is rather than directly compete with steam and provide a decent alternative they instead buy up exclusives and a captive audience. Which is why right now I've got stuff on epic like Hitman 3, Control, Tony Hawks. Basically games I would have had no other choice but to buy on Epic or wait for them to come to steam a year later.

It's not really a pro-consumer business model they have. In spite of all this they are nowhere near as bad as the windows store and I would sooner move my entire library to EGS than buy another game on MS's own store which is just broken and needs to be sunsetted.

I'll still buy Kingdom Hearts III when it comes to epic but I'm probably going to just double dip again for the steam version, which is silly (both by Epic and by me lol)

There you go:

-One click modding

Thanks, this is all I needed to know.

it was for a while

it was so nice

Once again, did I ask any of y'all to click on my thread, pop in and whine? Quarantine really has people sitting at home bored, huh?

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
If their main value is being a charity which would stop if they're successful, they really don't bring much to the table. Their store is updated at a snail's pace and poorly on top of it. As if they don't really care at all. The low cut is to the detriment of the store since it offloads certain issues to the user/developer.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D3KF1gXW4AI-j0-.png

Look, I'm sorry for using an image with garbage PCMR imagery, but there's nothing better that can quickly summarise why Epic isn't just "Another launcher"

And the usual counter argument was "Yeah but give them time and they will get better", well they have had plenty of time now and they've still done nothing, because their business model is simply throwing money at publishers and hope people will just be forced into using their shit without ever actually having any reason to actually want to.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, this is all I needed to know.

Once again, did I ask any of y'all to click on my thread, pop in and whine? Quarantine really has people sitting at home bored, huh?
In the OP you literally say you have read multiple threads and you still make the same "it is just another launcher" bs. Maybe if you had started on a better proposition you wouldnt get people eyerolling. We have had this same discussion for 2 years now and it is jsut fucking annoying at this point.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
It's just not as good as Steam tbh, I'd rather use that if given the choice. Having said that I think a lot of people hate the buying exclusives thing more than the store itself. The Xbox app on PC is worse than EGS and that doesn't get mentioned nearly as much simply because people like Gamepass (which is a great deal tbf)

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
The 12% cut has a lot of buts connected to it. They also promised lower prices for the customers and that was a lie. Instead of competing, they pay off publishers/devs to use their store. So far I had no problem ignoring anything on Epic and waiting that one year for it to come to Steam. I won't support underhanded practices like Epic does. Also, don't they force the customer to pay for transaction fees when you buy something on their store? I remember reading someting about that some time back.
Maybe they changed some of that but from what I understood, they basically gave up on developing the storefront and just continue to pay off people to use them.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
I never had a problem with Epic making their own store, I have a problem with their scummy money hatting business practices. Funding games is fine, money hatting finished games to keep them from releasing on Steam specifically is not. I think a lot of people agree with me that the exclusives are the main issue.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9306

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the OP you literally say you have read multiple threads and you still make the same "it is just another launcher" bs. Maybe if you had started on a better proposition you wouldnt get people eyerolling. We have had this same discussion for 2 years now and it is jsut fucking annoying at this point.

If you don't like my thread, hit the ignore button and keep it moving. Period. If you're so fucking annoyed, don't come into threads that annoy you. If you see a thread you don't like, then you run into said thread just to post "Oh ugh I hate this thread" then it's your fault for even engaging with the thread. This forum has a lovely ignore function; I suggest y'all use it.

Oct 25, 2017
I use EGS and have bought a few games there but I definitely prefer Steam. The reasons that are important to me:

1 - Missing important steam features, like controller configurations and steam overlay. Launching EGS games through steam mostly solves this though.
2 - EGS is slow to launch and seems to use more resources than Steam (or any other launcher).
3 - No achievements, I think?
4 - It's hard to tell what features a game supports before buying. Like, I'm not sure if there's a way to see if games on EGS support cloud saves without looking on other websites, and it's hard to find the answer to things like that at all sometimes.
5 - UI is slower and worse than Steam in just about every way, for me.
6 - Although Steam user reviews are mostly cringe edge joke posts these days, it's useful to see at a glance if there are problems with a PC port. EGS has nothing like this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I know you got your answer, but let me reiterate this again: Steam isn't a monopoly. And with how Valve lets developers generate keys to sell them in other stores, it will never be a monopoly.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
For me, it's the same reason I don't shop at Wal-Mart. I don't like Epic as a company in general, so I don't want to spend my money there. I'll take their free games since it's easy to do, but I don't want to support them with my money.

I will also say their introduction to the market made a lot of people upset when they came out of no where saying a bunch of upcoming games would be exclusive. This also caused issues for some people as Epic supported less options for purchasing games, which many PC gamers rely on in different areas of the world. So it went from folks expecting to purchase a game on Steam with their preferred way to purchase a game to literally not able to purchase a game on Epic.

For me, it was a minor issue, but a game I had been looking forward to playing through Game Pass PC was made exclusive at the last minute on EGS and that really soured things for me. It was before Game Pass was officially supported on PC, you could just play a handful of games using the Play Anywhere feature. But yeah, that annoyed me a lot.

This.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
She asked a question, acknowledged the replies and understood. If she missed some old threads like, that's fine. no need to snap at someone genuinely asking and trying to learn

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
If you don't like my thread, hit the ignore button and keep it moving. Period. If you're so fucking annoyed, don't come into threads that annoy you. If you see a thread you don't like, then you run into said thread just to post "Oh ugh I hate this thread" then it's your fault for even engaging with the thread. This forum has a lovely ignore function; I suggest y'all use it.
I mean, you say you're not trying to rile people up, but here you are confronting everyone who's tired of this specific question resurfacing.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps if you didnt ignore every single post in the threads you supposedly read (and made you pop this topic) you would understand why people are fucking annoyed at the entire text you wrote on the OP. We have had 2 years of this conversation and you literally have used all the "bingo" points for this conversation.

She asked a question, acknowledged the replies and understood. If she missed some old threads like, that's fine. no need to snap at someone genuinely asking and trying to learn
It is not geniuinely asking and trying to learn. Thats the fucking point. She literally used the bingo points of "just a launcher", "Steam is a monopoly", etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.