• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
And by Communist China, I mean the US

www.informationweek.com

Do You Know Your Criminal Threat Score? 2

A new tool for law enforcement agencies promises to use big data to calculate a person's threat level. But privacy advocates question both the concept and its e

These articles are 4 years old but they highlight how while all these liberal, left coast based companies post "Black Lives Matter" on their social media accounts, they have been collaborating with the police to help them do profiling by selling data to dodgy companies who then build technologies that are completely opaque and could be used to justify murdering people or putting them under surveillance. The CCP in China is openly evil, they do not pretend to care about human rights. Here in America we have this whole mythos to justify and legitimize state power. What it comes down to is that we are an empire, and we are not fundamentally any better than Russia or China or other designated "evil countries." American exceptionalism is a lie. You are being surveilled. You are being profiled. And you live in a fake democracy. There is bipartisan support for all of this.

Bonus video:

www.youtube.com

Data | Philosophy Tube

When all you have is a hammer all your problems look like nails - https://www.patreon.com/PhilosophyTubeSubscribe! http://tinyurl.com/pr99a46Paypal.me/Philos...

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I hadn't heard of this specifically before but I can't say it's shocking. Just continually disgusting.

Oct 27, 2017
Read the thread title like, "this is old news, they don't do this secretly." Then I clicked the thread and was quite surprised.

Well... I can't say it's too surprising, honestly.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knows this is happening in the US too.

The question that people have (at least I do, anyway) is if there's a solution to these things that isn't "burn it all down, end socioeconomic organization via capitalist systems" or things along those lines? Not that I'm disinterested in/don't want those things, but more like I'm not sure what realistic way we have to destroy, discourage or disentangle these things and claw back civil liberties and rights against surveillance where the US (and tech/military/etc companies) doesn't have to just blow everything up.

I'll read these things, but interested in how to clean up the information wars, so to speak.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
John Oliver did a video about Face Recognition and one of the biggest takeaways I got from it was this:

It's wrong too much. You could make a case that all this is "Keeping us safer from the bad guys!", if it actually did that. Even a 10% error rate (it's actually much higher) is way too high when you are accusing people and you're wrong 1 out of 10 times. Unless this techn was 99% successful, it shouldn't even be considered.

...And of course, even if it was 100%... it STILL shouldn't be used, but that's open to opinion and debate. But we're not even there yet.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I despise bait threads but people really are unfortunately ignorant on this. I know some cities were working to ban facial recognition's use by law enforcement last year but we really need national standards.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

The question that people have (at least I do, anyway) is if there's a solution to these things that isn't "burn it all down, end socioeconomic organization via capitalist systems" or things along those lines? Not that I'm disinterested in/don't want those things, but more like I'm not sure what realistic way we have to destroy, discourage or disentangle these things and claw back civil liberties and rights against surveillance where the US (and tech/military/etc companies) doesn't have to just blow everything up.

I'll read these things, but interested in how to clean up the information wars, so to speak.
I firmly if you believe, you "burn it all down" and build it back up... you're going to get the same thing we have now all over again. Granted, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't change systems and seek to better it. "Starting over from scratch" is going to make things better in the short to medium term, but the longer it goes on we will find the flaws and need to start it over again. Which, I'm not afraid of doing... but it's wise going into it knowing "Whatever problem we fix now, won't fix everything, there will be NEW problems created that we couldn't foresee". And as long as you're aware of that truth, I think there's no bad reason to start over and radically revamp policies, as long as you're realistic that you're going to need to keep doing that again and again.

OP
OP
Terra Torment

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020

An organization like the pig departments will never be open enough to be able to stop them from doing this secretly. They say it's used against "bad guys" but what they consider "just the bad guys" is not what most people would consider bad guys. They imply its against rapists and murderers but it is mainly against targeted racial minorities, political radicals, and threats to private property.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you ain't rich, your life at the very least revolves around the prison state even if you don't know it. It's just varying degrees of prison to "freedom"

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
These articles are 4 years old but they highlight how while all these liberal, left coast based companies post "Black Lives Matter" on their social media accounts, they have been collaborating with the police to help them do profiling by selling data to dodgy companies who then build technologies that are completely opaque and could be used to justify murdering people or putting them under surveillance.

Somewhat related but Judd Legum has been exposing companies that post pro-BLM messages but pay racists hundreds of thousands per year.

Watch what they do not what they say.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Don't make clickbait threads about articles from 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.