• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
just gotten to simultaneous equations and it doesn't make any sense at all to what to do

if anyone can help that would be great

y = 2x + 3 and y = 5x - 12

this question is apparently one of the easier ones and I've been shown the steps but doing the steps is whats confusing me the most

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Substitute one value for the other

y = 2x + 3
y = 5x - 12

2x + 3 = 5x - 12
2x + 15 = 5x
15 = 3x
x = 5

y = 2 * 5 + 3
y = 13

Shwing

Oct 25, 2017
Since 2x + 3 and 5x - 12 are both equal to y than they are both equal to each other.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Since...

...and you know that the following is always true:

y=y

...so...
one of the y = the other y

...which means that...

2x + 3 = 5x - 12

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Y=2x+3

2x+3=y

2x+3-3=y+-3

2x=y-3

2x/2=y-3/2

X=1 over 2y + -3 over 2.

That is my brain trying to remember algebra.

Oh shit I didn't see the simultaneous part. Me dumb.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
yes but when you move the -12 to the plus 3 why does it become addition instead of negative
You're adding 12 to the right side to remove it and then you have to do the same to the other side.

Basically the rule it "what you do to one side of the equation you must do to the other"

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
this is the problem I am having,

none of this makes sense to me I don't know where to start with it.
So, y = y, right? And you've already got:

So you can plug one of the things that y equals in for the other. Now you've got

2x + 3 = 5x - 12

That's just a normal equation with one variable. Solve it for x:

15 = 3x
x = 5

Now you need to find y? Well, you've got two different equations for y, and now you know x. Plug your value for x into either one, you'll get y:

y = 2x + 3 = 2(5) + 3 = 13
y = 5x - 12 = 5(5) - 12 = 13

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Just don't think of "x" and "y" as foreign letters to some mysterious alphabet. Think of them as "mystery numbers" and your goal is to isolate these letters (numbers) so that it equals to the answer. You're trying to find x—one mystery number—in order to figure out the y number.

While I've been calling "x" and "y" letters, they're called variables mathematically.

Excuse if I came across as maybe ignorant or redundant, I have no clue how far you are in algebra.

Oct 27, 2017
yes but when you move the -12 to the plus 3 why does it become addition instead of negative

It's just one of the rules. If you move something to the other side of the = sign then you flip whether it's postive or negative. So a -12 on one side, move to the other side becomes a +12 which you can then add to the +3 for a total of 15.

Basically you want to try and sort the numbers together and the symbols together.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Let's actually start with the basics here. When you have a pair of questions like that, are you aware that the x in one question is intended to be identical to the x in the other question? If one x is 4, then the other x is 4 too.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
this is the problem I am having,

none of this makes sense to me I don't know where to start with it.
Since y = both 2x + 3 AND 5x - 12 both of those equations equal each other. (2x + 3) IS y. (5x - 12) IS y. So in y = 5x - 12 you can put the other equation for y where the y is, giving you 2x + 3 = 5x - 12.

Anything you do to 1 side of an equation has to be done to the other.

So you add 12 to get rid of the - 12 on one side and also add 12 to the other side to get 15.
2x + 3 + 12 = 5x - 12 + 12
2x + 15 = 5x + 0
2x + 15 = 5x

Then you want to get the x's to one side by subtracting 2x from both sides.
2x - 2x + 15 = 5x - 2x
0 + 15 = 3x
15 = 3x

Then you get rid of the x multiplier by dividing both sides by 3.
15/3 = 3x/3
5 = x

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
ok what about this one

3y = 8 - 3x and 2y = 3x + 2
Oh man, so I'm gonna warn you up front: the numbers here are gonna be messy. So just a heads-up: you're gonna get fractions, that's not a sign you're doing it wrong, it's just a sucky problem.

So the reason things were easy with the first one was because you already had them both as y = and y =. To do this one, you need to get one of them in that form. Or both if that's your jam, but really one is all you need. So do some algebra magic, like you're solving for x, to isolate y on the left side of the equation.

It sounds like you may not be super comfortable with those operations, but let's see what you've got, and if you mess up we'll help you out.

So yeah, just start there. 3y = 8 - 3x. How would you get that to something that just says y=?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
i don't know what to do which is the problem
Starting from the very beginning, do you follow through with these two posts?

Let's actually start with the basics here. When you have a pair of questions like that, are you aware that the x in one question is intended to be identical to the x in the other question? If one x is 4, then the other x is 4 too.

Just don't think of "x" and "y" as foreign letters to some mysterious alphabet. Think of them as "mystery numbers" and your goal is to isolate these letters (numbers) so that it equals to the answer. You're trying to find x—one mystery number—in order to figure out the y number.

While I've been calling "x" and "y" letters, they're called variables mathematically.

Excuse if I came across as maybe ignorant or redundant, I have no clue how far you are in algebra.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
The left and the right of the "=" must be perfectly balanced, as all things should be. So when you add/minus/multiply/divide an amount to the left, you must do the same to the right.

1 = 1
1 + 5 = 1 + 5
1 + 5 - 5 = 1 + 5 - 5

Status
Not open for further replies.