• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019

Reporter doesn't even ask him why he didn't send his employees home when the tornado started approaching.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
eeh, this seems like a massive, dishonest stretch. If employees were forced out of the building and killed in the parking lot, on the highway, in their cars, etc., seems like that would be worse? Generally I'd assume if a tornado is approaching and you've got minutes to decide what to do, you should shelter in place.

It's one thing if the building doesn't meet coding standards for severe weather, or something, but honestly in natural disasters I think it's pretty hard to call someone a murderer. If a tornado is approaching my house and we've got minutes to decide what to do, and I take my family to the basement and the house collapses and someone dies, it'd be very unfair to say that I killed my family.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's a tornado?!? Being on the road in exponentially more dangerous than sheltering.
One and done. When a tornado hits, you're supposed to take shelter in the building you're in. The lower the better. The less windows the better. Trying to outrun a tornado to go from Building A to Building B is just added risk.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I'm not going to pretend like I know the timeline between when shifts start, shifts end and when the tornado hit.

But yeah, this ain't it chief. This was an F5 Tornado, basement level in a large warehouse like that is probably the safest place they could have been.

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't the warning often incredibly short?

Once it's gone out I imagine it's safer to shelter in place than go outside.

Now, you can ask - why no hard shelter for employees? - but that's a very different question

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
You can blame that the tornado shelter wasn't suitable enough (though it was most likely still Code) due to the casualties, but anything else is not called for. I'm assuming the OP has not lived near a tornado prone area.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It'd be one thing if the Tornado warning came at like 6am , everyone was told to seek shelter before noon, the ceo told everyone they still had to come into work by 9am or be fired, and then the tornado hit the building at noon killing everyone who came meanwhile the CEO his in the shelter.

In that hypothetical situation, yes, this would be late stage capitalism at it's worst.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Look, I'm all for ending the strangle hold of capitalism, but staying in a building during a tornado seems like the safer option to me.

Sadly, nature can be devastating and these people lost their lives in what, at the time, maybe was the safest place.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
A lot of things wrong with capitalism but if this were a school, museum or any other public building results would have been the same.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tell us you don't live in an area with tornados without telling us don't live in an area with tornados

Status
Not open for further replies.