• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
With Part Two being formally announced, now is a good time to go back and reflect on what some ERA posters were saying both about Dune and Villenueve's career.

Dune might be the safest movie you can go to. So socially distanced that the 2 people watching it on opening day will be in separate empty theaters

earnings-wise with the first film
Like making Bladerunner 2049 look like Avatar in ticket sales?

There will never be a second movie, calling it now.

And people thought Blade Runner was a bomb, lol

We'll never get pt 2 guys

Whoever funding this is basically giving to the charity of sci fi cinema, much like 2049. I hope it doesn't bomb too hard though so Villeneuve can still have a long career with big blockbuster movies after this.

Straight to Netflix.

They're gonna bomb so hard

This will end up as a big Netflix release or something.

He's never going to be allowed to make another movie again, is he?

What studio is paying for this after BR2049 lost millions?

This movie is going to bomb. Let's not kid ourselves. If WB is truly behind it, they'd green light the sequel regardless

It's great that he has ideas for more stuff but as with Blade Runner, I wouldn't expect it to ever happen. This film seems almost certain to bomb.

I can't help but think this will share a similar fate to BR2049. What's Villeneuve got lined up next? Dude is going to be in need of a financial hit.

Definitely has a different tone from what I'd expect of Dune, but I guess without it, no one would even watch it. People these days are too braindead to appreciate great sci-fi, which is why BR 2049 flopped, but they'll eat up any corny superhero trash and still act like they have good taste. Truly embarrassing.

And in the spirit of fairness, one of my posts-
Worst case he might have to do a Bond movie after this.

hO2W59N0UnO4vOFadbSvMPQXMWjGrNkL1kJB5cOr-lI.jpg

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I mean, going by Blade Runner 2049 ofc people had doubts, and COVID only made them bigger.

The fact that Dune performed this good during COVID was pretty much unexpected.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
How the hell someone turned Dune into a box office success is beyond me. I was getting ready to appreciate that we even got a movie in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
Era is awful at predictions. I still remember the Horizon Zero Dawn will be the bomb of the year posts on the old place.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
to be fair, was it strange to think this would flop after 2049 shit the bed? book is from 1965. 1984 movie is shit. syfy series are whatever. no enthusiasm amongst general public to see this adapted again....the list goes on and on.

I guess the millions and millions of views the youtube trailers got really were caused by genuine interest and weren't just timothee chalamet fans checking them out for him.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Which one had the funniest take that a reverse pandemic would force people to go to theatres and it still wouldn't make a dime?

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
To many people had a hate boner for this film, it was almost unbearable going into any thread because you miserable fucks were all to bad it's gonna fail.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the skepticism for how Dune would do, but it's always hilarious when people are wrong when posting such staggeringly confident predictions.

New Username

Jul 12, 2018
This isn't a very good dunk, because something happened between then and now (COVID) that really changed the environment in a way that people could not have reasonably predicted. It may still be the case that Dune ends up with a marginal worldwide box office gross, and we don't know the counterfactual of how much better or worse it would have done if there were no COVID, it were released last year, and not delayed. Since most of those posts express only the sentiment that the film was likely to lose money, it's... not really clear many of those people were even actually wrong?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even in the movie
you had crowds coming from all around to see Timothee Chalamet.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first movie I've seen sell out all the (socially distanced) seats at my local cinema at release since before the pandemic hit. Kinda wild. Bond didn't manage that shit.

Nov 1, 2017
This is why you always show support. If something fails, you were just wrong. Oh well.

If something succeeds but you rooted against it, you're wrong and probably a jerk lol

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't nothing like the social distancing of a Green Knight matinee.

What someone here is wrong?

It is good to remind people when their predictions are wrong. People have a giant selection bias in remembering their own records which contributes to the, uh, "problems" this site has with anything about predictions for the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely has a different tone from what I'd expect of Dune, but I guess without it, no one would even watch it. People these days are too braindead to appreciate great sci-fi, which is why BR 2049 flopped, but they'll eat up any corny superhero trash and still act like they have good taste. Truly embarrassing.

Lmao people are really like this

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, this place specifically really sucks if it has people who are wrong about things sometimes, unlike all the other websites where everyone is always right

Lol no need to take it that seriously. This is a running meme for ages now. It's funny because this community consists of enthusiasts yet is consistently and confidently wrong a lot of the time. No more any other community is wrong of course, it's just the irony given the context.

Also I love seeing the crow laid out and I approve of this thread 100%. People should be ok with being wrong, and any reinforcement that ERA is not real life is healthy.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the box office is like reading tea leaves, honestly. You could tell me Dune was the next Avatar or the next John Carter and I would have believed you either way. Why is X successful instead of Y, when they do the same types of things? God only knows. I would have assumed "big sci-fi" is a bad bet, but like maybe not? But the next big sci-fi movie might be a huge bomb.

Like, remember when Paul Blart was at the top of the charts for like a month? Why was that so successful when a million other dumb comedies fail? Still baffles me.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Why delete the posters names? Let them own it

I can't believe people were expecting a US box office of less than 30 mill

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I don't think any of my posts are in the OP but I certainly had expressed doubts, super happy to be wrong.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Its an adaption of one of the most famous sci fi books in a period that people are hungry for entertainment, ofc it would have done good. Blade Runner was the sequel to a 80's cult movie, I still think its at least 1000x better than Dune but what can I do, I guess we'll never know more about that universe, at least for the next 10 years or so

Status
Not open for further replies.