• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon does a lot of things right. I enjoy the combat, the weapon variety, the story, the characters, the lore, the general sense of progression, the art, the world, etc. I've played 65 hours and am still frequently blown away by the quality of the character models+animation during dialogue/cutscenes. I think Ashly Burch's voice work here is an all-time great performance.

However, I think that decisions were made to make verticality and traversal diversity a big part of the game, but the cores of those systems feel undercooked and often frustrating. On some level, it's that there are these long and detailed animations that get in the way of the flow of the game (a la red dead redemption 2), though that is only one component. (Also, a caveat: I don't remember much of how HZD -felt-, I played only at launch and my memory sucks)

Climbing:
•I had to turn on the setting that permanently highlights handholds. Props to them for having it in there, I suppose. But ultimately the placement often feels arbitrary, any quest with climbing in it has to limit what Aloy can climb so that you don't immediately break a mission. Having to ping to see where you can climb is a problem, especially when it already feels like I have to ping too often based on how much berry & scrap collecting you need to do. There is a lot of 'Why can't I climb that wall?', and the answer is usually because the quest needs you to go in a specific set path.
•It feels like when I get to the top of a climb it's 50/50 whether Aloy will actually climb over the top of the ledge, often I have to move sideways to a different handhold just to go up the last inch-and-a-half
•There are several jumps that end with a long animation of Aloy swinging back and forth before she steadies herself, and it makes a kind of tedious activity feel even slower, rather than adding a sense of excitement or danger. It's occasionally fun when you jump to something and it breaks, but the long sideways swings that have no bearing on player skill interrupt a game that is at its best when it's kinetic and agile.
•Thank god for the occasional grapple points, but even that animation seems janky, and it still feels way too slow when Aloy actually does the climbing part at the end. The jump boost is nice but mainly because I get to skip some of the climbing animations.

Swimming:
•There are two ways of swimming faster, which is great because Aloy's default straight line swim speed is like she has cinderblocks tied to her feet (props to her for being able to swim at all with armor I guess). Even then, the faster swim feels too slow
•God help her if she has to turn at all underwater, I pretty much have to let jesus take the wheel any time I want to change direction. There is so much lag when you use the 'swim up or down' buttons in concert with aiming Aloy that it's excruciating
•A few sections combine two great tastes that taste great together: Underwater section and STEALTH. You can't fight underwater, and sometimes they deliberately throw a croc-robo in there with you and suggest you hide amongst some stealth kelp. This is about as fun as it sounds
•Most of the underwater sections are DARK AS SHIT. I even tend to play games at a slightly higher brightness and when you get into a big underwater cavern and need to find the passageway out it's like trying to solve an optical illusion in a dark closet.
•Lots of the swimming areas are way bigger than they need to be, especially with the swim speed and lack of much interesting going on underwater. There's one quest you get early that asks you to go to the other side of a river, and even the narrowest part of the river feels enormous. And then there's no fast travel point nearby, so you might have to do this swim multiple times for parts/mats/exploration/quests or whatever.
•Despite the breath meter running out of air several times in the early game, other than unpleasant sound effects, I had no idea what the actual effect was. Maybe it starts draining the health bar but if so they are super generous about that because I wasn't seeing any feedback on my screen like 7-8 seconds after the meter ran out
•Putting pickable plants in and under the water really just makes the whole process seem even more excruciatingly slow. If I am swimming across the wide river I have ZERO interest in going through the arduous process of changing Aloy's trajectory twice (down, then back up) to go through a slow animation of grabbing some riverbed plants that typically aren't very useful

Mounts:
•Any time a mount at full speed comes within about 10 feet of a tree or other object in the world, it comes to a dead stop
•Any time the mount needs to ascend a 2 foot step it does a very long, drawn out hop animation
•Both are major concerns because the world is densely packed with objects and rocks and paths of varying height, which would be great, if the mounts could handle that stuff
•This is just personal take but I got a raptor mount and it seemed to go about 50% the speed of the other mounts and that made me preeeeetty bummed
•Being on a bristleback, the boar's robot ass takes up like 50% of the screen
•On the positive side, I enjoyed the races (until I came to a dead stop by going near a pole), and 60 hours in realized that the mounts would auto follow the roads if you let go of the controller (that one might be on me)

Having played pretty much every major Assassins Creed and Uncharted game, those games typically do a much smoother job of letting you get around their world. Which is probably an unfair comparison because climbing is like, what those games are known for. But there is SO MUCH climbing and swimming in this game, you guys. So many quests in the world want you to do these things. I don't know how many quests I've done where Aloy has to do some climbing rite of passage that is sacred to the Tenakth. The views at the top are often awesome, but I just wish the journey to get there wasn't as frustrating. Sunken ruins should be cool! I should not be dreading any time Aloy turns a corner and encounters a flooded pathway.

Some traversal stuff is cool! Gliding is neat, and the slide feels good. It basically becomes Apex Legends when you slide down a big hill. Jumping backwards/walljumping are solid. It's such a wall of text but I feel like if they can iron some of these things out either for this game (maybe the ship has sailed) or next game, then you'd have something even more special than it already is. I get that it must be BACKBREAKING to make a game like this, and am overall super impressed with what they accomplished during a pandemic. It's just a shame that they made such a cool world, but make it such a pain to get to the top of that cliff to get a grand view of it.

P.S. The firegleam animation takes about twice as long as it should. Either make it shorter or give me a sick, Mandy-esque chainsaw rev every time it happens.

Last edited:

padsports

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree mostly. Love the movement in the game. Swimming however... yeah, but still better than in Ninja Gaiden.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Loved the game but the swimming part gave me nausea like playing a vr game. It felt really Bad for me.

Kinda agree with the mount too, i just run or téléport ! X)

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Don't agree. While climbing is annoying it does take like 5% of my gaming time. I rarely climb or swim.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree mostly. Love the movement in the game. Swimming however... yeah, but still better than in Ninja Gaiden.

I enjoy the on-foot movement, running and jumping and sliding, Aloy leaping 40 feet during a power attack like she's in Space Jam, etc. And when the climbing works, it's mostly fine. There's just so many pain points where it slows down or screeches to a halt, I wish those were ironed out.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed about climbing, it's by far the worst aspect of the game....
Swimming is kinda weird too but compared to climbing you spend way less time inside water and when you do,
if you don't press circle and just take it slow it operates ok.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Disagree. It depends how you play, but I actually spend 90% of time not riding, climbing on swimming. And when I do, they are fun. Especially riding.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The swimming works great for me but the way they did the climbing is a really janky half step even if it improves traversal compared to the first overall.

The mount handling is inexcusable and terrible.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
One of my main gripes with Zero Dawn was the traversal. Mounts didn't feel particularly good (let alone fun), so going going from point A to point B felt like a chore.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I'll give you climbing but disagree on the rest.

Running feels good (in 60fps), swimming too, and the graphics while swimming are especially great. Riding a mount is okay, and I like the dualsense feedback difference when you're riding the bigger machine, lol. Although, would prefer if the machine doesn't get stuck in terrain every so often.

On climbing:
I've played >20hours now and yeah, the system is neither here nor there. Just give up and let players climb whereever they want that's logically climbable. Doesn't matter if they wasted their time and there's nothing at the top.
I thought I could choose not to rely on pressing R3 for the points, but nope, have to do it whenever I want to climb any cliff. It doesn't make a good puzzle because when things are highlighted you just choose which handhold to go for. Very rarely do you have to figure out how to get to the next handhold. The only thing that needs "figuring out" is running around a tall structure, repeatedly clicking R3 to see where to climb. Not very fun.

Guerilla, just give up and let us climb everything in the next one.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The climbing is bad. The best part of the game is fighting robots and so much gets in the way of that.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give you climbing but disagree on the rest.

Running feels good (in 60fps), swimming too, and the graphics while swimming are especially great. Riding a mount is okay, and I like the dualsense feedback difference when you're riding the bigger machine, lol. Although, would prefer if the machine doesn't get stuck in terrain every so often.

On climbing:
I've played >20hours now and yeah, the system is neither here nor there. Just give up and let players climb whereever they want that's logically climbable. Doesn't matter if they wasted their time and there's nothing at the top.
I thought I could choose not to rely on pressing R3 for the points, but nope, have to do it whenever I want to climb any cliff. It doesn't make a good puzzle because when things are highlighted you just choose which handhold to go for. Very rarely do you have to figure out how to get to the next handhold. The only thing that needs "figuring out" is running around a tall structure, repeatedly clicking R3 to see where to climb. Not very fun.

Guerilla, just give up and let us climb everything in the next one.

I recommend going into the settings and turning on the one that permanently highlights all climbable parts of the terrain. I ping enough for resources and loot, I don't need to ping to see how to quickly get up a 20 foot slope.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
These are not good but the game offers a ton of fast travel points that you don't have to rely too much on climbing etc. The problem I have is the progress breaking bug that I'm not able to advance the story and im about to hit lvl 50 :), so these kinda issue feel like 1st world problems to me haha.
The ambition was too high and the result suffered from that

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I like the swimming, but agree that riding a mount and climbing are both mostly terrible. Also every once in a while the mount just stops for no reason like hitting an invisible wall, and I have absolutely no idea why. It's legit more fun to run and slide while exploring that world.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I watched my boyfriend play it for a couple of hours yesterday and I noticed all of these issues even just from that limited sample

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The number of times I've tried to jump to a ledge by pressing forward and jump, only for Aloy to hop 2 feet forwards and fail the jump....is so frustrating.
It's so temperamental on when the jump works properly and when it doesn't. Additionally, it's easier to get off ledges than it is to get on ledges.

Everything related to movement in Horizon feels really bad i.e. mounts, climbing, swimming, or just Aloy generally running (cause she gets stuck so easily), the game can take a while to figure out what animation to do while movement, and the animations themseleves may have a windup time, this makes animation blending and transitions feel janky, slow and not seamless. Like if you wanna pick up stuff while being on the mount the mount has to stop still, even getting off mounts feel like it takes ages after you send the command. Or if you have a knee high obstacle, and want Aloy to jump past it then it's like a 50-50% chance that she'll do it automatically but even when she does it automatically, it won't be seamless.

The game basically is just lacking a lot of QoL features that by itself may be fine, but having all of that together at once makes it sort of unfun to play.
For instance, in combat because all the machines just charge headfirst at you in fights as their primary attack, it makes it really annoying to play the game because all you're doing is dodge and hope to get a shot at their weak point which is always hard to see because they are always facing you directly to charge at you and have this erratic movement, and the slo mo is not slow enough for their highly detailed micro movements movements. Oh also, those flamethrowers, you can't see shit when someone attacks with a flamethrower as the whole screen gets filled with and opaque flame effect.

I enjoy Far Cry games because they feel amazing to play, and I wish Horizon felt good to play as well but it never did to me and I stuck just for the story and setting.

Last edited:

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Hard disagree, swimming and underwater sections are actually fun and probably one of the best I've experienced so far

Climbing in the open world works fine, most open world games are even worse. Climbing in linear sections is clunky and janky tho

Riding a mount is just great, I use them all the time. Hard disagree here too

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, none are agressively bad, but none feel really good. A huge potential for improvement for an otherwise stellar game

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Hard disagree, swimming and underwater sections are actually fun and probably one of the best I've experienced so far

Climbing in the open world works fine, most open world games are even worse. Climbing in linear sections is clunky and janky tho

Riding a mount is just great, I use them all the time. Hard disagree here too
Pretty much where I'm at, though OP is valid if they aren't enjoying it. Absolutely needs some polish, but I pretty much have a great time with mounts, climbing, swimming, and especially combat where these come into play.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
I agree partly. The climbing doesn't feel very great, I'll give you that. The swimming part is ok-ish, but I hate the breath-limitation which I hope is upgradeable. I just skip underwater swimming most of the time. I didn't use a mount yet in the 20-ish hours I played, apart of one small segment at the beginning of the game. So yeah, i'm definitely not in the 20-30% range as you are, but some of these mechanics definitely can use some tweeking.

WalshyB

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Climbing is absolutely dreadful, even with the full highlight, sometimes she just won't grab what is in front of her and then you will lose 20 minutes of progress getting back up to that spot

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on all points. Whenever the game tried to change the pacing with a bit of a puzzle, some traversal, climbing, swimming whatever I got frustrated. The game just does not play as well when it doesn't do what it does best; combat and story.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Don't care for mounts so it's probably gonna be closer to 10% for me

The forced climbing in cauldrons and such is boring and clunky. It's fine when navigating the map.

Also I don't know what special version of the glider you're using, but mine fucking sucks. It's only useful for avoiding jumps that would kill you. As an actual traversal tool, it's extremly disappointing. It's just a very slow descent with no momentum whatsoever. Like, I climbed the highest peak behind Bulwark City or whatever it's called, jumped, deployed, and floated awkwardly for 40 agonizing seconds and barely made it past the city gates. With how lenient the game is with fall damage I probably could have covered the same distance in the same time on foot.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Agree on a couple of things, climbing needs work and riding a mount is a bit janky where the mount gets stuck on stuff. But it's perfectly serviceable to deliver a great story and fun combat in my opinion.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Riding the mount in the first game is really terrible. It's sad to know that it's the same with Forbidden West.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played much of Forbidden West but the climbing felt outdated and cumbersome. I'm not sure how they didn't improve this aspect of the first game after 5 years of development of the sequel, they had all the feedback in the world telling them the climbing wasn't good and somehow it's still not good when other games had it figured out for years now.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Climbing, while being much better compared to the first game, can be wonky sometimes.

I wish the swimming was faster, but in terms of controls I have zero complaints.

Don't really use mounts that much, when I'm exploring regions for the for the first time I prefer to be on foot, and after that I can simply use the fast travel.

Overall I'm really satisfied with how the game controls, Aloy movement/actions feel super tight and for me it's a joy to just move around and fight, minor issues aside (mostly related to climbing or getting stuck on small objects every now and then).

Oct 25, 2017
Swimming I actually don't find too bad at all. Mounts are fucking worthless though, I've straight up given up on them, and stick with fast travel and running. Climbing is dogshit, I have no idea how it got greenlight, it's straight up garbage.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
They don't bother me but it's hard to disagree that your points will likely ring true wiht a number of people.

The constant firegleam animation is wearing thin though!

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Can't relate.

I never use mounts. Campfires are like 100 yards apart and fast travel is instant.

I keep annotations on so climbing is great.

Grappling and boosting and sliding and gliding is legit fun as hell.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
The mounts getting stuck is my big annoyance, but between fast travel, the mount you unlock near the end of the game and gliding I'm quite happy with the traversal. I'd just tweak the collision on the mounts a little but I can see where OP is coming from.

As for the underwater sections, I don't think these are ever good in a game and generally dislike them, however the ones in Horizon I thought were less annoying than most but still annoying.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, nothing in Horizon Forbidden West really feels good (including stuff like the pullcaster and shieldwing) other than a certain late-game mount that really surprised me with how smooth it felt to control.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got this game a couple days ago and five hours in, this thread is a relief to see.

Aloy also has a tendency to not reliably react to certain surfaces. If I stand on a rope, she may treat it as a very thin regular platform and then quickly fall off unless I'm stupidly precise. If I jump from below to the rope and climb up it, she uses it like she should, arms out like she's balancing on a tightrope, and I can cross with ease. She's also a bit too eager to hop from surface to surface sometimes without any button presses on my behalf, to a point where I fall and have to start over again.

I'm gonna have to turn on the permanent surface/climbing indicators. I do not remember having this much of an issue traversing in the first game.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Don't agree. While climbing is annoying sometimes I don't feel like I swim much or that it's annoying.

Like every other game with mounts I walk everywhere so can't really comment on them.

DinkyBox

Feb 21, 2021
Climbing is a bit janky, but a big improvement over the last game. Have no problem with the rest as I feel they are above average and take so little of my time.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
To be fair, nothing in Horizon Forbidden West really feels good (including stuff like the pullcaster and shieldwing) other than a certain late-game mount that really surprised me with how smooth it felt to control.
I agree with this. I really like the game, it's gorgeous and much improved over the first one (though I think it's too long and I wish they just had adaptive difficulty so I could beeline the main quest more without worrying about leveling). But Aloy moves through molasses. Not a single traversal option feels snappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.