• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should the PS5 unveiling and other events be postponed?

• Yes

Votes: 49 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 315 86.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Creating a bad faith thread concerning sensitive racial issues despite a previous ban for the same thing. Previously banned for dismissing transphobia.
Do you think it's appropriate to marvel at next gen splendors while all throughout America people are finally fighting systematic racism against Black people? We've all seen THE video, the riots, and the clash with police forces.

Much of the video game industry has expressed their support and their solidarity with BLM movement.

But would it be consistent if they proceed with the celebration that's scheduled to happen in June?

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
100,000 people also died from Coronavirus. E3 2016 took place the same timeframe as the Pulse nightclub shootings.
There will never be a great time to do something like this. The best thing these companies can do is be an ally, support and use their platforms to educate where possible. The tweets from Sony and Microsoft are a good start. They don't need to delay anymore

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
No, but they should show solidarity, mention BLM and how to donate/donations made by the companies.

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
Depends on what time in June. The PS5 event probably should be delayed, but the brunt of this may subside after this week.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
They can do more good with these events than just delaying them would. People will be watching it, there will be millions of eyes on them. They can use the platform to further support the movement and spread the word when it matters the most.
They can also do a lot more with all the money they have. Fucking donate!

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Something terrible is happening around the world at every moment.

Might as well delay everything forever.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
No, but they should mention what they're going to do to help BLM and associated movements at the beginning and further expand on their direct opposition to racism and police brutality.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Of course not. There's always some horrible tragedy but because it's America we are supposed to shut down the world?

use the events to draw more attention to the struggle. don't runaway from it.

ZoomyRamen

May 15, 2020
I don't think so. In fact it's probably more important than ever. People need *something* to look forward to. Even if it's as inconsequential as video games.

Instead of every one, rightly I may add, talking about current events, it'll be a reprieve to have an hour or two of people actually excited about the future. Community is very important, whether you're part of a community for solidarity over a tragedy, or in a community excited about the latest video games. Both are necessary, especially during moments like these.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
They should bring attention to it and show how they are going to help. If they want to stand for those ideals, then they have the perfect opportunity to walk the walk at the start of the event.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't stop when civilians are being hit by drones in the Middle East, when Hong Kong is fighting for freedom, when Muslims are being put in concentration camps in China, when Palestinians are being bombed out of their land. Why would we stop now?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
They should go on as long as the event isn't for the US only. You can raise awareness in the events.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
We've all seen THE video, the riots, and the clash with police forces.
I'm not from USA, I've only seen these things because of Era. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say everyone saw what is happening. To most countries what is happening on the USA is just news rolling down the bottom of the screen. I do not say that to belittle that movement, but just to put this into global perspective because a lot of people from a lot of countries are waiting for some of those events (mainly the PlayStation one).

I get whatever decision they make, to postpone it or to do it anyway. I think the best answer is to acknowledge what is happening but to continue on track.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More than likely the PS5 event will do something regarding BLM, Sony already issued a statement today

Sony issues statement on #BlackLivesMatter

Being silent about the violence and racism Black people experience is being complicit. We stand in solidarity today and every day with the Black community. #BlackLivesMatter But actions always speak louder than words. And we’re working hard to make sure we at Sony are doing more than just...

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Just do the event as planned but have a message in support.

Honestly don't think it's necessary. Sony has already public expressed their position and their support for the cause.

I also hope they don't delay. We need some stuff to take out head out of all the shit that is happening all around the world at least for a few minutes.

I would still agree and support then if they feel it's necessary to delay or send a message though.

Oct 28, 2017
I saw someone I follow tweeting about a riot, but didn't seem like something that would impact any events? It'll still be events without any audience having to attend so should be possible to go ahead.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
You have to maintain it and talked about it. They donate for COVID, they can do it again and send a clear message of where they stand. No more "no politics" to not alienate a part of you buyers. No more hiding.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you are not bothered by people being bombed in the middle east

That good old whataboutism. You could've just said no and been about your way, but instead you had to find a creative way to say you don't care about racism.

I'm not from USA, I've only seen these things because of Era. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say everyone saw what is happening. To most countries what is happening on the USA is just news rolling down the bottom of the screen. I do not say that do belittle that movement, but just to put this into global perspective because a lot of people from a lot of countries are waiting for some of those events

Lol. There are global protests. Just say you want your games and go.

To think, my answer was no because I, as a black person, would like a fucking break. Then I pop in here and I almost wanna change my answer.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should open the event with a message about it and suggestions of how to help.

The world was barely willing to shut down for a global pandemic. I don't see any way that all businesses are going to shut down again this week just for solidarity. At least I know I still have to go to work tomorrow.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I feel like events are a good way to bring publicity to the issue in a more effective way. I'm sure there will be some nods to it by Sony and even other developers during it.

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming will continue to exist. Tech will still get released. What would be the harm in delaying for reasons of showing solidarity to those who continue to suffer injustices carried out against them by people whose job it is to protect those very people? That it isn't fair because people are hurting the world over? Do we really have so little sympathy?

To those saying it would be better to include a message of outright support for BLM at the start of any event: Yeah. Probably. (Ditto making a meaningful donation.)

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Police violence and racism won't be over anytime soon, if ever. I don't think events should be delayed, there'll always be legitimate protests around the world.

Covid-19 situation is different tho, it affects game development directly.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
They aren't related really so no. I think if something was definitely related and would detract from what is happening then yes. I think if you made this argument then we should just shut the world down for June because you could make superfluous arguments about anything at that point. Personally, while gaming is recreational and entertianing, it actually brings people together in a lot of ways. There are scarce times when that is not valuable. I also think that a lot of people are depressed right now (I know I am) and it's nice to have things that bring joy to one's life as long as one still engages with the important issues we are facing in the world today. There can always be balance, I don't think companies should need to maintain balance. It's up to people within themselves. And I love thag companies and people are now voicing their support of BLM. It's really great.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
No.

America does not make the world spin.

2020 has already taken the crown of shittest year, let PlayStation try to give people around the world some happiness.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
No, but they should acknowledge the events and show solidarity on stage, thats the best they can do, like Phil Spencer did in E32016 with the Orlando nightclub shooting.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
No. Delaying the events will not actually make anything positive happen in my opinion. People still need a break from all of the doom and gloom and have something enjoyable to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.