• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

In which generations did Sony's console have a better library than its competitors?

• 5th (PlayStation, N64, Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, CD32, PC-FX)

Votes: 58 50.9%
  • 6th (PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox, Sega Dreamcast)

Votes: 70 61.4%
  • 7th (PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360)

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • 8th (PlayStation 4, Switch / Wii U, Xbox One, Ouya)

Votes: 55 48.2%
  • All of them.

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • None of them.

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
The sequel to a similar thread I made a couple of days ago regarding Nintendo's consoles.

This time it's Sony's turn. In which generations was Sony's console the best of the generation? We're only talking home consoles here, not handhelds. For the purposes of this thread, both the Wii U and Switch are counted as 8th generation.

The poll is multi-choice, so choose everything that applies. There are also "all" and "none" options for those who want them.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The only toss-up on that list would be the 7th gen, imho. The 360 had some real heavy-hitters and better third-party support.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
All of them. I enjoyed other consoles, but if I could only keep one from each gen I wouldn't doubt for a second choosing all the PlayStations.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I say all of them except the Playstation 3 era. The PS3 era had a strong line-up but they also had very strong competition from Nintendo with the Wii library and as much as Microsoft's franchises aren't my cup of tea I can see how some might prefer Microsoft's offerings. The PS3 era, IMO, was the only one in which the third party support wasn't just so obscenely lopsided that I think you could make the case for a different console.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on whether you mean quality or quantity.

In the quantity spectrum, Sony's consoles clearly dominate.
But if you're looking for quality, in which only must-buy games apply, it gets a bit trickier.

In the days of PS1 vs N64, I think Nintendo + Rare had Sony beat.

In the days of PS2 vs Xbox, I think Bungie + Ubisoft Montreal had Sony beat. Some of those games were on other consoles, of course, but the best experiences were on Xbox.

In the days of PS3 vs Xbox 360, it got a bit tougher. Either console could have won, depending on preferences.

After that, Sony has quite clearly held the throne, regarding must-buy games.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
It honestly might be all of them. I didn't blink at the idea of PS1 + PS2 having nearly a magnitude more must-plays compared to the competition, and the PS4 seemingly had the best library this generation.

The PS3, by the end of that generation, just kept producing exclusives. Not all were home runs or universally appealing, but I certainly loved myself some Motorstorm, Wipeout, LittleBigPlanet, inFamous, Uncharted, Ratchet, Warhawk/Starhawk, and Twisted Metal 2012.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I would say generation 7 could be debated... everything else though in the grand scheme of things Sony consoles have had the best libraries.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
only during ps2.

psx is a big maybe. most 3d games from that era do not hold up, across the board, so the real champion platform from that generation winds up being the sega saturn.

ps3 was outclassed early on the third-party side by microsoft and the first-party side by nintendo (and generally the wii was my primary gaming console). still had a lot of fun with it.

ps4's more of my streaming device these days. i enjoy the games i have for it. i probably put more game time into the wii u.

ps5 will probably straight up replace my ps4 if i can transfer everything over. i doubt it can catch up to the switch's massive head start.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
6th, maybe 5th too. If we were to throw PC into the mix, than I'd say none. I really don't care for PS4's first party games. Probably the weakest its ever been for me.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
PSX, sure. PS2, most definitely. PS3, lolno. PS4? Switch took the first-party crown sometime this summer, but if we're talking single console owner multiplats on the table kinda deal, then PS4 takes it.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
PS2 era no doubt about it

N64 and PS1 era was a bit close mainly cause N64's first party output was better but third party was trash on N64.

Hard to say about PS3 era cause Wii and Xbox 360 (mainly 360) had a pretty good library until late gen though.

PS4 is great too but nowhere near PS2 level.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
only during ps2.

psx is a big maybe. most 3d games from that era do not hold up, across the board, so the real champion platform from that generation winds up being the sega saturn.

giphy.gif

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 is the only generation where I think it's close. PS1 and PS2 are in contention for the best library ever alongside the DS, with nothing else in the same stratosphere.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Threads like these tend to foster console warring rhetoric. Let's not do that here.
Additionally, we don't need a thread for each platform with the same basic premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.