• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you Rank current Insomniac among other current Developers in 2021?

• Number 1

Votes: 19 3.7%
  • Top 5

Votes: 168 32.7%
  • Top 10

Votes: 90 17.5%
  • Top 15

Votes: 64 12.5%
  • Top 20

Votes: 65 12.7%
  • Top 30

Votes: 45 8.8%
  • 31st or Higher

Votes: 62 12.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
There's so many developers putting out amazing games, it's impossible for me to even think about coming up with a top five.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Consistently Amazing. Haven't played a game of theirs I didn't like.

New Username

Jul 12, 2018
Insomniac is great but there have been easily a thread a day about them this week. People are really honest to god having panic attacks about video games on a daily basis.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Including indies? probably top 15. Too many amazing devs in gaming right now tbh.

edit: trying to rank devs although I'm pretty sure I'm gonna miss at least one or two, I'd put these above Insomniac:
Rockstar, Naughty Dog, SSM, Fromsoftware, ZA/UM, lorian, Mobius digital, ryu ga gotuku, capcom dev 1, team cherry, toby fox, IO interactive, DICE and then insomniac

Last edited:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. Most of their games fall (too) short on some level for me to consider them absolute top tier. What you say is definitely true, the speed of their output, the technical aspects etc. all are top notch, but their games are always at most an 8/10 for me.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised at all the top 5 votes

on the spot just based on the games they make I'd put them somewhere from 15-25

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
They are clearly on fire but they are not in the Capcom or Nintendo category just yet.

For me to be in that category you need to be able to do it for a longer period of time and have a lot of diversity in your library.

But no one can complain when more companies are putting out awesome games even if we might fight like children over arbitrary and subjective list wars.

Oct 25, 2017
High quality games, widest range, best place to work, constant stream of releases (seriously how did Miles and Ratchet come out so close). They're a powerhouse that treat their employees like people and not machines. They're #1 and should be a model to all other studios.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
not sure, I can't speak personally since I haven't played their games but I feel like they haven't had a universally acclaimed 90+ kinda game.

Like technical prowess and polish yes, but it seems there are many ahead in terms of actual game and level design.

Nintendo EPD, Naughty Dog, Rockstar, FROM, SSM, KojiPro, whatever capcom studio did REmake 2….

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 is a tall order. They're definitely great, easily my favorite Sony studio, but it's a big industry.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at their last couple games like Sunset, Spiderman and Ratchet I'd definitely class them as top tier.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They're good, but they're not Top 5 Good.

Their consistency and tech know-how are commendable, but if we're talking only about the end product I think there are many developers out there releasing better games.

(With that said, ranking developers feels a bit pointless. One great game [or one disaster] and everything can drastically change. But Insomniac is not at the 'will buy for the studio name alone' tier for me)

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I don't find their game interesting mechanically but I can recognize they are insanely talented. In terms of sheer output and development time they are probably the best though.

Deleted member 27647

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Top 5 is a tough call for me, but I think they're solidly in the top 10. Ratchet & Clank has been consistently great, Sunset Overdrive was a pleasant surprise, and the Spider-Man games have revealed themselves to be very fun entries in a genre that I thought would never grab me (sandbox games).

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Factoring quality, output and technical prowess, I'd say they make a strong case for number one.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Top 15 maybe for consistency and technical excellence. But they have yet to release a masterpiece in my very humble opinion.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Great, especially with the no crunch stuff, but a good bit away from Platinum and EPD for me.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
People are so blinded by hype for the latest and greatest on here. They're not a bad dev, but among the top 5 in the world? Absolutely not. To me they've always made okay games. I've never played a game by them that made me go wow, this is amazing.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep maybe so. The only thing they're missing is a game that goes beyond being really good and becomes a personal all-time favorite. When I make my personal top 50 list I'm not sure if any Insomniac game makes it on.

FROM and Naughty Dog are the only locks to me in the top 5. Probably some Nintendo studio but I'm not sure how they work together.

Retro has fallen off due to inactivity, Team Cherry needs more than one game to cement itself (let's also see how Extremely OK's next game is). Guerilla could be up there depending how Horizon 2 goes, same for SSM.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
While they haven't made a 10/10 yet, hopefully spiderman 2 is that moment, the rate at which they can pump out 9/10's is pretty untouchable.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
No offense intended but I think this is just a different form of fanboyism. I can maybe get around to pulling together a top 10 devs putting out the highest quality content but it would be super difficulty and highly personal. This is not to devalue the work done by Insomniac but I think putting them on a pedestal like this isn't a good thing.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
If you look at quality (being not buggy), polish, cutting edge technology, speed of development, work culture, fanbase social engagement, consistency, critical acclaim, commercial success and general fun-ness all together, no other studio really can match them, they're number 1 for me

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Miles Morales and some of Sunset Overdrive are the only games of theirs I've liked. The others all were too basic gameplay-wise or repetitive for me.

Edit: Oh yea, so i voted top 15. Cant deny the polish on most of their games

Oct 25, 2017
They seem like they have gold standard project management and their tech team appears very talented as well.

But their writing on Ratchet and Clank series grew extremely stale throughout Future and up through the 2016 game, and the Spider-Man gameplay systems from combat to open world activities to stealth were insipid in most ways.

They feel like they're constantly on the brink of something great and then they put out something that's a bit wack.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Pretty good studio, somewhere between 15 and 20 for me.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
This poll just seems like a knee-jerk reaction since they are about to release a critically praised game that nobody here has played yet.

They are a good developer though. I enjoy their games but they are always good to above average.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i'm not into open world games, and just played they "PS4 R&C", so ... they did nothing to me.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they keep making ratchet and Clank games, they'll always be dear to me.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I'm inclined to agree, this past year has been eye opening. Not to mention their incredible work before too.

Status
Not open for further replies.