• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
ALL OF THE DEMOCRATIC presidential candidates have committed to rejecting the influence of special interests. To demonstrate their resolve, several of the candidates have promised to power their White House ambitions without a single dollar of lobbyist money.

In the waves of small-dollar donations reported on Monday — the first financial disclosure reporting period of the 2020 presidential race — lobbyist money had made its way into the coffers of major candidates' campaigns.

Beto O'Rourke is one of the candidates who had pledge to run a campaign financed only by regular people — "not PACs, not lobbyists, not corporations, and not special interests." His latest filing, however, shows that he accepted donations from a federal utility-company lobbyist and a top Chevron lobbyist in New Mexico.

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., has also collected donations from registered corporate lobbyists in South Carolina, New York, and California. Several technology lobbyists from San Francisco have given to her campaign. Another Harris donor, Robert Crowe, from the firm, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, is a federal lobbyist who has worked to influence Congress on behalf of pipeline firm EQT Corporation and Alphabet, the parent company of Google.​

Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., similarly announced that he would eschew campaign donations from federal lobbyists, and his campaign appears to be making most of the caveat about "federal" lobbyists. Though he has returned donations from lobbyists registered under the federal government's system, Booker has taken half a dozen donations from lobbyists registered under state and municipal lobbyist registration laws, but who do not appear in federal disclosures.

The pledge to reject lobbyist cash is completely voluntary and self-defined. O'Rourke has made blanket statements that he will reject all donations from lobbyists. Harris has made promises in emails to her supporters to reject all lobbyist donations and, in other emails, to only reject donations from federal lobbyists. Booker's campaign website only specifies that he will not accept money from federal lobbyists.

The flow of lobby cash comes in many forms. Some comes from registered lobbyists, others from individuals who are clearly lobbyists but have chosen not to register with a federal system rife with loopholes.

The Lobbying Disclosure Act, which governs the criteria over federal lobbyist registration, is notoriously easy to evade and historically poorly enforced. Many professional corporate influence peddlers — well-aware of the porous definitions set out in the statute — simply choose not to register.

https://theintercept.com/2019/04/17/democratic-candidates-lobbyist-donations/

A great read. Money and corporate influence comes in a lot of forms and its notoriously easy to skirt the books off the record.

This highlights how our political system is so broken. And the politicians have read the air of discontent around this issue and try to give the appearance of no corruption when they run for Prez. Well atleast some of the dems do. GOP clearly have no qualms with putting their donors out in the open.

The worst part about this is that these candidates are trying to be sleazy. If you wanna make an argument that you have to take money and do favors and be corrupt to get anywhere in Washington, i dont like it, but that's atleast being honest to a specific stance. Don't try and trick people as if your some clean grassroots person.

This along with Beto cooking his books on how much he raised despite bundling in GE funds that cant be used unless he wins the nomination just rub me the wrong way.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wasnt Beto's refuted?

Booker doesn't surprise me at all, dude has been like that his entire career.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mayor Pete still standing tall! Honestly, going by the summary, it's only a handful of candidates doing this.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
These were the exact candidates I expected to be mentioned. It's icky, but as a poor, I can't afford to throw money to candidates. With the field divided, funds are divided so I can understand the need and desire to raise money anyway you can...otherwise those corps will use that money against you.

Glad Warren isn't on there. 🙂

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
If a lobbyist or higher-up at a corporation sits on their home computer and donates with their personal card on to a candidate's website, how quickly and likely is that identified and refused?

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
If a lobbyist or higher-up at a corporation sits on their home computer and donates with their personal card on to a candidate's website, how quickly and likely is that identified and refused?

There's a difference between courting donations from PACs and lobbysits and a gotcha hit-piece looking for a handful of individual donations that were made and not identified.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm technically a lobbyist, as I'm part of a cooperative that makes political donations, and I gave money to Bernie in 2016. So by that standard Bernie did it too.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to actively look for it and it's going to be a problem that doesn't get caught until after the fact. Beto caught and refunded one already likely because he made the screwup of not checking in his Senate race, and about 80K (out of 80M) worth of donations slipped though that weren't noticed until after his campaign was finished that broke a pledge.

An article like this chastising candidates for something that's inevitably happen is transparent as hell.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
2020 Primary News goes into the 2020 Primary thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.