• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
GCcho81.png

QMEp0kV.png

www.humblebundle.com

The Humble Store: Great games. Fantastic prices. Support charity.

Choose from thousands of games for PC, Mac, Linux, and Android while supporting a charity of your choice. New games added every day!

www.humblebundle.com

The Humble Store: Great games. Fantastic prices. Support charity.

Choose from thousands of games for PC, Mac, Linux, and Android while supporting a charity of your choice. New games added every day!

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK. And ?
The EGS version has been released a year ago. Of course it's gonna be on sale earlier than the Steam version.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
OK. And ?
The EGS version has been released a year ago. Of course it's gonna be on sale earlier than the Steam version.
It is just wickedly funny to make a big hullaballoo about the game finally being released on Steam--on the day they push out their Y2 stuff--and then charging full price on the store they raised a fuss about.

Why would they put the steam version on sale? Didn't it release today?
Why wouldn't they?

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
This was the whole point of putting it on EGS. They get a fat cheque from Epic, then release it a year later for full price on Steam to pickup sales from the people that waited. It sucks.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
This was the whole point of putting it on EGS. They get a fat cheque from Epic, then release it a year later for full price on Steam to pickup sales from the people that waited. It sucks.

This right here. IOI's gotta eat since they self-published the game (even though it was very successful). I can't really blame them for capitalizing on the Steam release like that.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda puts a dent into the argument that Steam is not a Platform, it's just another launcher like EGS and the PC itself is the platform. Shitty move.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
If they had to wait, then they can wait longer.

This is just pure greed by IOI. Already got the big fat cheque from Tim Epic, screwing up people who don't want to use EGS. Not even a discount for people who own the previous two games and DLCs.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I waited and I will not pay $60. IOI made a bad call here and they'll lose money in the end.

The launch of the Year 2 update plus a goood discount on Steam would bring in some great word of mouth and sales. Now you have big fans of the franchise like me just ignoring their new release.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised at all that the game is full price the day it gets released on Steam. It just looks particularly bad when they have to create a separate listing for the Steam version to avoid giving it the same discount that the Epic version already has. Usually when you buy a game on Humble that has Steam and Epic keys you get one listing with the same price and the option to choose which you want. Can't think of any other game that got a separate listing like this.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
It's just disappointing given the pattern of former EGS exclusives debuting on Steam at a lower price or at least with a sizeable initial discount.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is weapons grade bullshit. I'll admit I caved and bought the deluxe edition anyway, but iOi 100% deserve any flak they get from this.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It should be noted that this is likely a Humble Store deal as opposed to an EGS thing. The game is still full price on the EGS itself. Still really weird but eh, I'll just blame the occasional poor business practices from Humble as opposed to IOI until I hear otherwise.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Even if it was full price, there is 0 regional pricing in my country, where it should be WAYYYY lower.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Yeah, this is pretty awful, and a pretty big 'f u' to their Steam only consumer base.

I get why you would do it, but I also see why you wouldn't want to from an optics standpoint.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is all greed coming from IOI. Treating the folks who waited patiently for the game a year later like chumps, charging full price while other launchers have it for half that. I rather wait more.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Appreciate the price alert, but lmao at people feeling like they're entitled to a discount on their preferred client. How dare this game that's 1yr old not be on sale via my preferred merchant? I loyally waited a year lol.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
What the actual fuck - I'm hoping iO hasn't launched with the correct pricing because this is ridiculous. If they're trying to incentivize more people to pick up an Epic key because they're launching premium on Steam, that's kind of ridiculous too.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's pretty annoying when games come to Steam after the year exclusivity and the publishers act like they're brand new when they come to Steam. Leads me to just waiting for sales

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
The only way this practice will stop is if publishers/devs make less money overall despite the one-off payments they're getting from Epic, due to a year+ without Steam availability. Unfortunately I don't see that being the case, it'd have to be a huge disparity when considering a lump payment up front.

I commend people that are still going to hold out on buying, but personally I've been jonsing to play for a year, so I'm giving it a day tops to see if it appears for sale on third party sites, then I'm buying regardless.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the price alert, but lmao at people feeling like they're entitled to a discount on their preferred client. How dare this game that's 1yr old not be on sale via my preferred merchant? I loyally waited a year lol.
It's kind of an unwritten rule with these EGS exclusivity deals. If the publisher wants big sales when the Steam release hits, they should make sure the price is good. Otherwise, many of the people that waited a year will shrug and wait some more. Then the publisher winds up losing out on the positive word of mouth that comes from the late Steam release.

So we're clearly not entitled to a discount, but it's in their best interest to provide one.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I waited a year for this - I can wait longer and play a normal price..

60€ lol. It was like.. 20€ a month ago on Epic.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of an unwritten rule with these EGS exclusivity deals. If the developer want big sales when the Steam release eventually hits, they should make sure the price is good. Otherwise, many of the people that waited a year will shrug and wait some more. Then the publisher winds up losing out on the positive word of mouth that comes from the late Steam release.

So we're clearly not entitled to a discount, but it's in their best interest to provide one.
And I agree with that! It makes better business sense (probably). But count the posts concerned about IOI's financials vs the posts that are just plain mad they're not getting $30 off on steam lol.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
dex3108 Since they're treating as a 'new release' on the STEAM Store, its more understandable that they're not offering the STEAM Version on Discount so I think the topic shouldn't be this but their pricing on STEAM in general and their shitty regional pricing.
And I agree with that! It makes better business sense (probably). But count the posts concerned about IOI's financials vs the posts that are just plain mad they're not getting $30 off on steam lol.
Correction: No discount AND barely any regional pricing.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
dex3108 Since they're treating as a 'new release' on the STEAM Store, its more understandable that they're not offering the STEAM Version on Discount so I think the topic shouldn't be this but their pricing on STEAM in general and their shitty regional pricing.

Nothing prevented them to run discount on Steam. They choose not to. They could have at least not release it on Humble Store until Winter Sale is done.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I figured the steam version would be more expensive, but when you think about it it's absolutely absurd that the same game on a different store has such a major price difference.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I figured the steam version would be more expensive, but when you think about it it's absolutely absurd that the same game on a different store has such a major price difference.
Same game but different Store means different discounts cause they have their own audiences.. why? cause why not squeeze more money out of people?
I understand that, and I purposely was not poking fun at that :)
I know :) just wanted to add on the issues people were upset about.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this ain't a good look for IOI.

I get that independent studios need to keep the lights on, but this absolute lack of any type of a 10-20% discount on the base game seems a little 'fuck you, pay me' to the steam die-hards, considering the game's been on sale multiple times at deep discounts during last year's EGS sale periods...but guess that Epic guaranteed money and 'record-breaking sales' wasn't enough.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the OP I see a game that has been out for over a year that's on sale, and a game that came out today that isn't. Not very out of the ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.