• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

97_Mentality

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First of I actually like Babe Ruth and watch many movies about him. He did not have a long career as a pitcher and he was pretty bad. Then he made a huge leap in batting but I don't think was around long enough to get such high praise like a Barry Bonds or Ted Williams for example

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I know this thread is in response to the other thread but this ain't it chief.
Babe Ruth played 22 seasons as well lol tied with Bonds and more than Ted Williams.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
First of I actually like Babe Ruth and watch many movies about him. He did not have a long career as a pitcher and he was pretty bad. Then he made a huge leap in batting but I don't think was around long enough to get such high praise like a Barry Bonds or Ted Williams for example

Babe Ruth was not pretty bad as a pitcher, what? LOL Babe Ruth would have made the Hall of Fame as a pitcher. He converted to being a hitter full time and he's practically untouchable at that. I don't know if I'd have him as my GOAT I think Barry Bonds might be better and then Mike Trout may end up there too.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get the idea of the parody but awful example since Babe Ruth played 22 years. Should have gone with someone like Bo Jackson.

Oct 25, 2017
Babe Ruth didn't have to compete with black players just like Biggie didn't have to compete with white rappers

Coincidence??! I think not.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
What is this thread referencing?

Anyway, apart from having advantages of the league being segregated, he was essentially the MJ/LeBron/Brady of American sports in the 30s. Weird take

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he was incredibly dominant respective to his peers, probably moreso than anyone in history. The fact that he didn't play against minorities is a pretty huge mark against his career with respect to how it stacks up all time. If you compare him to modern greats then yeah he's a pudgy dude with an all upper body swing who didn't face anything close to the kind of pitching we see today, but we can play that game with most athletes and sports.

I'd say he's probably properly rated. If you want most overrated, it's probably someone like Phil Rizzuto.

Nov 16, 2017
The dude who cranked 714 homers is overrated? The 700 home run club still only has 3 members.

Unless you expected him to cure cancer, it would be hard to overrate Babe Ruth.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The guy is the Jesus Christ of hitters, literal eras around his career. Before Ruth it was called the dead ball era and it's been the live ball era ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.