• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, I did not post this in the OT because I feel it's outside the flow of game discussion there.

So I have never played a Pokemon game before and yes I have tried doing some research, but I really trust this community's opinion for questions like this.

The holiday gift-giving season is coming up, I have twins who they are asking for these (i.e. Twin A asking for Sword and Twin B asking for Shield). At the end of the day, is it worth getting both? I've read in the past the differences between versions are minor, but have read same vague statements and articles that Sword and Shield is "different" and has a few more differences than past versions have.

Any input and advice is appreciated.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The answer to this question re:the two different versions is always no.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't have two switches for them, of course not. It's the same game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would love imagine not. The difference are the unique Pokemon (which you can easily enough trade with folk in our trading thread - that's the point of Pokemon!) and a handful of different gym leaders, right? I can't imagine those unique gyms are worth owning the game twice.

EDIT: looks like a totally missed the bit about twins and Christmas. Yeah, get them both then! If they want one each then that's the right scenario to get both. The games don't have multiple save slots

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
No. The only time it's justified buying the other game is if it's a gift for someone who has their own console to play it on.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Do pokemon games even allow you to have multiple save files these days? They didn't in the past. If they expect to have their own save file I see no other way than to getting both.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like you're trying to find an excuse to cheap out on getting your kids what they want.

Pro parenting tip, kids don't care if the games are nearly identical, if they both ask for different things and you only get one, there will be at least one upset child.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
If you are getting it for two kids then yes.

also do they each have their own Switch?

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
If each have their own Switch, then yes. Otherwise no, never buy both versions to use on 1 system.
They're meant to be played by different people on different systems, so they can play together and trade/battle.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
If each kid has their Switch then yes.

If there's only one Switch and Gamefreak still hasn't implemented multiple save-games, then yes.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Do they both have their own Switch? If so, then go ahead. If not, then I don't see much point to having two unless they just have to be able to catch the exclusive Pokemon themselves rather than trade for them.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I went into this thread wanting to say no but then you said twins and shit got complicated. Do they each have there own switch? If so they the answer is YES, get them each there own version so they can trade with each other. If they are going to be playing on the same switch together then they will be unable to trade with each other so your probably safe just letting them share one of the games.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
No, different versions of the same set of pokemon games are always pretty much identical aside from some extremely minor and inconsequential differences and a handful of exclusive pokemon. In your case I'd only recommend buying both if each of your kids has their own Switch.

OP
OP
watdaeff4

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have only one Switch then it's really useless.
If you don't have two switches for them, of course not. It's the same game.
No. The only time it's justified buying the other game is if it's a gift for someone who has their own console to play it on.
This sounds like you're trying to find an excuse to cheap out on getting your kids what they want.

Pro parenting tip, kids don't care if the games are nearly identical, if they both ask for different things and you only get one, there will be at least one upset child.
If you are getting it for two kids then yes.

also do they each have their own Switch?
If each have their own Switch, then yes. Otherwise no, never buy both versions to use on 1 system.
They're meant to be played by different people on different systems, so they can play together and trade/battle.
Usually I would say no but in your situation I would say yes if you have more than one Switch.
If each kid has their Switch then yes.

If there's only one Switch and Gamefreak still hasn't implemented multiple save-games, then yes.
I went into this thread wanting to say no but then you said twins and shit got complicated. Do they each have there own switch? If so they the answer is YES, get them each there own version so they can trade with each other. If they are going to be playing on the same switch together then they will be unable to trade with each other so your probably safe just letting them share one of the games.

Thanks all to the serious and those of you with the "non-judgemental" replies

To elucidate, yes they each have their own Switch (I guess according to one poster I'm just cheap tho?) We went all-digital because when they had Ds' they lost some of the game chips. They have the primary consoles separated and don't mind saving files on each other profiles so that part has worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.