• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is it?

• Yes

Votes: 17 4.9%
  • No

Votes: 329 95.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While the two nuclear bombings were terribly bad for the local populace it obviously did not create a post-apocalyptical Japan overall.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I feel a post apocalyptic society still needs to be apocalyptic. When that is no longer the case it's post post apocalyptic.

Mar 18, 2020
I was wondering when the new "let's feel good about Japan having a-bombs dropped on it" thread would be.

At any rate, the assistance from the same country that bombed it helped Japan recover relatively quickly and if you want to use fiction as your barometer than no, Japan is not a post-apocalyptic country.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
The reconstruction era post-Godzilla went pretty smoothly and since Mothra only attacked part of 1 city that's hardly an apocalypse.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Japan still exists as a state should tell you pretty clearly the answer is no

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
By definition it could technically fall under number 2 but most people use the term "apocalypse" to describe the end of the world so I probably wouldn't refer to it that way if you don't want to confuse people.

Apocalypse

1. the complete final destruction of the world, as described in the biblical book of Revelation.

2. an event involving destruction or damage on a catastrophic scale.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Every few weeks there's a thread about Japan getting nuked and how necessary/deserved/etc. it was.

Granted, I'm not saying that was your intention but it's what the thread will become-that and jokes

I have legit not noticed 1 thread about this subject (that I can remember)

The question is based off of speaking to my son about anime and why many of them have a cataclysmic undertone to them. In no way is this a pro nuke thread, thats a weird thing. Plus, "post-war" didnt seem to have enough context (or so I thought)

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
please, im literally begging u to literally reopen schools. we need the kids back in school so bad.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I get where you're coming from OP but at the same time this can feel a bit like an insult to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. We have family in the area and a family home and it's a common response from people saying "is that ok? Is it safe there?" People are pretty ignorant of the state of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

On a lighter note, more people should visit. The Carp are the best Japanese baseball team (don't care what Giants fans say) and Hiroshima has the best okonomiyaki. Our personal favorite is あとむ Atomu (tongue in cheek "Atom") in the Okonomiyaki village (4th floor).

Mar 18, 2020
I have legit not noticed 1 thread about this subject (that I can remember)

The question is based off of speaking to my son about anime and why many of them have a cataclysmic undertone to them. In no way is this a pro nuke thread, thats a weird thing. Plus, "post-war" didnt seem to have enough context (or so I thought)

Word. One of the reasons it is such a common theme in anime is because of the ongoing psychological effects the war/post-war period had on the country as a whole despite the at least financial/manufacturing recovery that was made.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
I thought this thread was going to be about their population problems. The answer is still no though.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. In fact my favourite part of the fallout series is when the Raiders release competing game consoles after revolutionising advance home electronics production.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
In regard to what? Civilian death count? Poland had 20% of it's population wiped out. China like, 15+ times more civilian deaths than Japan (mostly from Japanese war crimes).

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The damage to Hiroshima and Nagasaki was not nearly as bad as what people imagine. The force of the bombs was largely absorbed by the terrain, especially in Nagasaki.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.