• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the best Luigi's Mansion game?

• Luigi's Mansion

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Luigi's Mansion 3

Votes: 181 85.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Luigi's Mansion 3 has shot up my list of my favorite Switch games, and is a delightful, charming, whimsical title that I am having so much fun with. It's dripping with charm and ridiculous production values, and it takes its conceit and runs with it, with each floor on the hotel being its own self-contained level with an all new set of mechanics introduced once, and then never revisited again, like the best Mario games.

I'm utterly enjoying the game, but I also lack familiarity with the earlier games in the series, so: ResetEra, is Luigi's Mansion 3 the best game in the series?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'd say so. The co op is excellent and every floor I came across so far has blown me away in terms of level design. I'm still at floor 8 though so I have some ways to go before I can make a final judgement but I'm enjoying my self more than the past two entries.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
I think it's the best by far, and I really love the other two.

I also think it's the second best Switch game after Breath of the Wild, don't @ me

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Hell yes. It takes the good elements of the previous two games and puts them together in a very polished and well paced package. Next Level, once again, delivered an excellent game that went above and beyond expectations. They should be very proud.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
My 3 year old son and I have had a blast with this one in co-op. The puzzles are just hard enough that he's able to figure them out but they aren't too easy.
It's fantastic.

We played quite a bit of the first one but it was kind of too difficult for him. Also the save system was a little too unforgiving for a 3 year old gamer.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Totally it absolutely is. I still think the first one has a better atmosphere and I like the idea of one continuous area more than themed floors but it is no doubt the best game in the series.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember enough of LM1, but LM3 is a DAMN fine game, just an absolute treat to play. They really knocked it out of the park.

Deleted member 59

Haven't played 3 yet, looking forward to it but LM1>LM2 every day of the week.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just about done with it and I slightly prefer the original title. Luigi's Mansion 3 is a little too long for my tastes, has a few rough bosses, and the total lack of purpose for money is demoralizing, however it has by far the best puzzles and music. I've played Luigi's Mansion 1 at least a dozen times but I will never replay Luigi's Mansion 3. Scarescraper is also a lot weaker than I expected

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I know Dark Moon ain't gonna win a poll because it's kind of a prototype for the newest game, but I gotta give it credit for better ghost fighting. The slam mechanics in the new game are just kind of braindead.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
It has something magical, it evokes positive feelings out of the player. It's a joy to play.

A special game and the best of the series, even with some shortcomings like the senseless money hunt.

wingedarcher7

Feb 22, 2018
Miami, FL
I have not been able to play 3 yet, but it does seem like the best one from everything I've seen and heard. I think the series has only gotten better. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is better than the first, and it looks like 3 holds improvements over Dark Moon.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play the first one all the way through since it was at a friend's house, but I have played all of Dark Moon. I would easily say the third one is the best in the series, it's just a pure joy to play and looks amazing.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
LM3 is like Galaxy 2. It takes away a few things that made the original so good, but it makes a better game to play. So people will be divided forever.

LM3 takes away the spooky atmosphere from the first two games and brings variety, color and a somewhat comfy atmosphere. More variety in boss structures, locales, etc. It almost felt like going from Kingdom to Kingdom in Mario Odyssey. So yeah, it *feels* better.

However, the first two games have this spooky atmosphere that makes them memorable in their own kind of way.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Started it last night and its oozing charm, just gorgeous animations and production, but I really don't find the tug of war and actual 'ghost hunting' to be very good.

I still miss the feeling of weight and power the ghosts had in LM1 as you really felt the tension between the vacuum and the ghost. You were really yanked and flung around the room, whereas in LM1/2 it feels far less tense. Not that LM1 isn't riddled with issues of its own though, but I don't get the same feel of vacuuming ghosts in the sequels as I did in the original.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
It has been very enjoyable to play through. I have only a couple floors left (then who knows what's coming) but I'm confident in saying this is my favorite of the three. The animations alone elevates the game in such a way that leaves me constantly smiling.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I have a soft spot for the 1st game, mostly due to how creepy the game is but 3 is just better at everything else I feel. It feels like you have a lot more options with the gameplay in 3 and I think it adds more overall strategy to the core gameplay loop.

I was watching GameXplains review of LM3 and I gotta say the new Slam mechanic I think adds a new layer of nuance to the gameplay rather than just making it too easy. Being able to get some extra damage on a different group of ghosts while trying to wrangle another feels really gratifying. I can see it getting repetitive for others but it never did for me.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's 100% LM3. It ironed out the rough spots of LM2 and incorporated a lot of the best parts of LM1 like portrait ghosts.

I bought LM1 on 3DS e-shop to revisit it after finishing LM3, and while still a really fun time, it feels so antiquated. LM1 has a "spooky" vibe but it's more the environment and music than it is the actual ghosts you encounter which are just as goofy as LM3, and the mansion itself is just "get key in 1 room, go to the next room on the map" with little need to revisit rooms except for the Boos.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I liked the first one, I LOVED the second one, but LM3 is on another level and my current GOTY. Therefore the answer is yes.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I hope it is because I barely liked the first one and sold the second after two missions. This one looks very interesting, I'll probably pick it up for Christmas.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about the game blows the others away

... except for the ghost battle gameplay which is sort of a big deal. it just doesn't feel as fun as it did before

still overall the best though

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. The amount of variety alone as far as floor designs go is just amazing.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Started it last night and its oozing charm, just gorgeous animations and production, but I really don't find the tug of war and actual 'ghost hunting' to be very good.

I still miss the feeling of weight and power the ghosts had in LM1 as you really felt the tension between the vacuum and the ghost. You were really yanked and flung around the room, whereas in LM1/2 it feels far less tense. Not that LM1 isn't riddled with issues of its own though, but I don't get the same feel of vacuuming ghosts in the sequels as I did in the original.
Basically all of this

it's fucking killing me man. Everything else about the game is perfect. I haven't been this bothered by a change in gameplay between sequels since KH2 dropped the dodgeroll when it first came out, or smash brawl introduced the floaty physics

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I think so. I'm having a blast playing through in co-op (which is incredibly well implemented) and the game keeps throwing little surprises at you constantly.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
by a mile

I still feel like the first one edges it out just a little in atmosphere, though

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
My only worry is that it might not be as interesting to replay as the first game with it's hidden mansion. I'm only at the 9th floor, but I have a feeling the game won't provide anything new for a second playthrough. Looking for the remaining gems and ghosts seems like a nice reason to go and complete it after the ending, at least.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People said the game was too easy and while the combat is easy the environmental puzzles can be a bit tricky, like the movie studio one

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking Dark Moon was amazing while 3 is pretty good. So Dark Moon is the best? Been awhile, so I'd need to replay it, but I think Dark Moon had better game feel.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I've only about a third of the way through and never finished the other 2, so I'm no expert. But LM3 feels way better than what I remember of the other 2, scope/scale feel much bigger and the presentation is high end even when comparing it to other Nintendo games. I'm pretty blown away and sure I will finish. I never owned LM and kinda got bored with DM halfway in.

Oct 27, 2017
Just this alone - being able to slam the ghost you've grabbed and hit the other free-floating ghosts for damage - takes it to the top.

Dark Moon was very good but it took until the middle of the 2nd area in order to get into a groove. Took a while to warm up and get going.

1 is interesting but has an older/different structure, especially in terms of seeking out the Boos. The more specific ghost personalities of 1 seem to have returned some in 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.