• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnyDays

Aug 28, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Creating a troll thread. The same thread as last time.
So I've been seeing all this info on Metroid Dread come out, and the visuals look cool, the trailers make it look like the game plays well, and it looks to be a great return for 2D Metroid.

But the progression of the game seems to be lacking, with not enough content from start to end to really hold fans satiated for more than a couple days. It's lacking in end-game content, challenges, and progression rewards. So while I've seen people talk about how great this game is, so heartfeltedly no less, I just can't help but feel it's overrated. While people talk about it like a 9/10 game, I'm starting to feel like it might be like a 6 or 7/10 game at max.

I don't think it's actively bad, just sorta underwhelming...

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Not for me, nah.

It's really up to your own taste. Just speaking for myself, Metroid scratched an itch I had been feeling for a long, long time. The only things I didn't much like were the chase encounters.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's really great. I was surprised it actually comes close to Super Metroid for me. It's more fun to play than Super Metroid even, but I feel like Super still has a better overall pacing and structure.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
You're not the only person who didn't love Metroid Dread, if that's why you made this thread. People exist outside of the consensus.

Having said that, I think it's pretty good.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fine game. But it's no Super Metroid. Soundtrack specifically is very lacking.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Overrated is kind of a worthless term and suggests the opinions of the swathes of people who liked the game were somehow incorrect to like the game.

I thought Metroid Dread was fantastic and completely disagree that it even needs the things you mentioned that it's lacking but that doesn't make you wrong, you just wanted more out of it than I did. It's okay that you didn't like it though, and great that you can articulate where you felt it fell short. You're entitled to that opinion and it's just as valid as that of anyone who liked the game (and vice versa).

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No such thing as an overrated game. Just assholes who think their opinions are more valid than the ones they disagree with.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
overrated is the most bizarre criticism ever

I could give you actual tangible criticism

- reuse of the chozo soldier fight

- bad music

- terrible accesiblity in regards to the controls

overrated just means "tons of people like it but I don't so it's bad"

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lord, no. Fantastic game that I've beaten twice and kind of want to play through again just because I have so much fun playing it.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the metroidvania crowd over praises practically every metroidvania.

so yes and no

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this thread looked familiar...

www.resetera.com

Is Metroid Dread Overrated?

So I've been seeing all this info on Metroid Dread come out, and the visuals look cool, the trailers make it look like the game plays well, and it looks to be a great return for 2D Metroid. But the progression of the game seems to be lacking, with not enough content from start to end to really...

Deeks

Oct 27, 2017
No.

E:

www.resetera.com

So I've been seeing all this info on Metroid Dread come out, and the visuals look cool, the trailers make it look like the game plays well, and it looks to be a great return for 2D Metroid. But the progression of the game seems to be lacking, with not enough content from start to end to really...
lmao, had to give it another go huh op

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Overpriced maybe. It was a better 2D Metroid than I've played since Super, but I like Super more. Playing through once was enough for me.

Hollow Knight is a better game imo.

Oct 27, 2017
You haven't played it but you're thinking about it this much? A 8-10 hour game can be 9/10 I really don't Understand the issue here

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It's sustained one of the currently strongest speed-running communities right now. It has a reasonable level of challenge, variety, and strong pacing. It's rare to see a game that's just so easy to just pick up and go for another run and maybe learn something new.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

Bro...

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

This is some pathetic shit op.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
Is it a good game for someone who didn't like Metroid Returns? I've been kinda wary of Dread because Returns was fairly well recieved as well but I didn't enjoy the experience all that much.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

op you okay

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been seeing all this info on Metroid Dread come out, and the visuals look cool, the trailers make it look like the game plays well, and it looks to be a great return for 2D Metroid.

But the progression of the game seems to be lacking, with not enough content from start to end to really hold fans satiated for more than a couple days. It's lacking in end-game content, challenges, and progression rewards. So while I've seen people talk about how great this game is, so heartfeltedly no less, I just can't help but feel it's overrated. While people talk about it like a 9/10 game, I'm starting to feel like it might be like a 6 or 7/10 game at max.

I don't think it's actively bad, just sorta underwhelming...
No, a game that other people praise is not overrated because you don't feel the same way as them.

www.resetera.com

Oh.

Oh dear.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

www.resetera.com

I actually appreciate the commitement OP

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing it only takes a couple days to beat then! It's not a long game, but you can definitely put in a lot of hours with multiple runs.

By end-game content, do you mean post-game content? Many great single player games don't have (or need) that. It has challenges in the form of shinespark puzzles, but I'm guessing you mean like leaderboard stuff? Again, a lot of great single player games don't have that. And I feel like Metroid is basically "progression rewards" the game. Progress, you get the charge beam. Progress some more, rewarded with the morph ball.

To answer your question, no, I don't think it is overrated.

Edit: Have I been trolled?

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
overrated? like the people who like it are wrong? no, I don't think so

www.resetera.com

damn, tc. maybe this topic is overrated

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
See you in a month, when I'm sure we get to do this dance one last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.