• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Crackdown 3 is out and reviews are bad. (currently 60 on Metacritic) I'm sure people would immediately remind me the troubled development this game faced, but this is only the last one of a series of mixed / poorly reviewed exclusives from Xbox that came out this gen.

Sea of Thieves 69
State of Decay 2 66
Super Lucky's Tale 64
Recore 63
Ryse 60

Not to mention what happened with the cancelled projects.

I'm starting to wonder if Xbox can really turn things on their favour by simply acquiring more studios, is it really a lack of talents their problem? it seems to me that in the past 2-3 years they started putting out games regardless of their quality (in fairness Crackdown got delayed several times but that didn't help much), not sure it's because they gave up with this gen so we may see a new Microsoft with the next console or because they didn't have choices: it was either these games (the way they are) or nothing.

Going forward if they want to close the gap with Sony they need to up their game and expect basically all AAA experiences from these studios (both those they own and third parties hired for exclusive games).

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
A large lack of talent and a lack of budget probably go hand in hand.

Sea of Thieves will probably be what it was envisioned to be eventually though.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I know Xbox has always had issues courting Japanese developers, but there wasn't the same kind of generational drought on the original or 360 that the Xbox One is seeing. I really think Microsoft just stopped trying around 2015 and started focusing on next gen.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Its managerial. They need to let their developers take more chances. Gears 4, Halo 5, Forza, CD3. SAFE SAFE SAFE SAFE.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
To be fair to Microsoft. Only one of those games was actually developed by a first party studio. I know Undead Labs is theirs now but none of those other ones besides Sea or Thieves is even developed internally.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
How about we also include the Xbox games that reviewed well.
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Dead Rising 3
Gears 4
Halo 5
Every Forza game
Ori

MS has had more hits than failures this gen.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People say scores don't matter but they do because otherwise there wouldn't be an image problem for ms first party studios.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Microsoft. Only one of those games was actually developed by a first party studio. I know Undead Labs is theirs now but none of those other ones besides Sea or Thieves is even developed internally.

I think that's kind of irrelevant. All games were funded and produced by MS. Both Sony and Nintendo have plenty of first party games that weren't developed internally as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3 is out and reviews are bad. (currently 60 on Metacritic) I'm sure people would immediately remind me the troubled development this game faced, but this is only the last one of a series of mixed / poorly reviewed exclusives from Xbox that came out this gen.

Sea of Thieves 69
State of Decay 2 66
Super Lucky's Tale 64
Recore 63
Ryse 60

I'm starting to wonder if Xbox can really turn things on their favour by simply acquiring more studios, is it really a lack of talents their problem? it seems to me that in the past 2-3 years they started putting out games regardless of their quality (in fairness Crackdown got delayed several times but that didn't help much), not sure it's because they gave up with this gen so we may see a new Microsoft with the next console or because they didn't have choices: it was either these games (the way they are) or nothing.

Going forward if they want to close the gap with Sony they need to up their game and expect basically all AAA experiences from these studios (both those they own and third parties hired for exclusive games).

They just need great games. They don't have to be AAA. I honestly wouldn't expect AAA from Undead, Compulsion or InXile. I'm not even sure Ninja Theory will do AAA. Might be more intimate projects like Hellblade.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Sea of Thieves 69
State of Decay 2 66
Super Lucky's Tale 64
Recore 63
Ryse 60

We def need a sticky around Reset.

This has been explained many times.

Jan 3, 2019
They seem to be determined to change that what with the studio acquisitions, it's not like this is an old problem embedded in Xbox history. Something something I believe in Phil.

Quantum Break
Dead Rising 3
SmoothDefensiveAustraliancurlew-small.gif

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Dead Rising 3
Gears 4
Halo 5
Every Forza game
Ori

Stop that, let's only focus on the negatives because reasons!

For what it's worth, despite some games reviewing in the 60's, I've had more fun with ReCore, Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3 than many other higher reviewed AAA games this gen.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Dead Rising 3
Gears 4
Halo 5
Every Forza game
Ori

I'm not ignoring those! but we can all agree there is a problem here, and if you want to compete with Sony, you have to at least match the quality of their products.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Lack of studios and terrible management of projects seem to be the culprits.

343i, Coalition, and Playground Games have shown that they can make polished AAA games. These 3 are clearly not enough to carry Xbox, though.

The newly acquired studios will remedy this problem if Microsoft gives them massive amounts of cash and time. I don't know if MS intends to do that.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'll get this to Phil and Matt ASAP. They surely haven't been thinking about this in the past 8 months since they acquired/made 5 studios, 2 studios in November, and the impressive hires being made at The Initiative.

This shit is gonna take time. They should've brought Crackdown in-house or hell, pull a Last Guardian and just disappear for whole damn generation while it's rebuilt from scratch (though honestly if you like Crackdown you'll probably like CD3)

Its managerial. They need to let their developers take more chances. Gears 4, Halo 5, Forza, CD3. SAFE SAFE SAFE SAFE.

It's been stated by Rod Fergusson that they did play it safe with Gears 4 (his call, I assume to prove to Gears diehards that they weren't going to fuck it up. It was fun though) but that Gears 5 is going to be more creative and going different places. Have no reason not to believe him. He's been working on GoW since they beginning.

Just from the trailer and the fact they are making a whole new engine for it that they are proud of, I'm more excited for Halo Infinite than I have in a long time.

Forza Motorsport is a goddamn sim racer.. if you're into those it's regarded as one of the best. Idk how you get "unsafe" with those

Forza Horizon? Don't you dare talk shit on one of the best racers ever made lol

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
For a lot of those games, the issue is that Microsoft is kicking them out the door too early.

Sea of Thieves is very polished game, but had next to no content at launch
State of Decay had the opposite problem, it had a lot of content for it's price but was buggy af. That co-op mode was broken at launch
Recore felt rushed and undercooked in general. The Definitive edition brings quite a few improvements, but it was too little too late.

All three games have improved enough post launch that their metascore is no longer indicative of the game's current state. That's not to dismiss complaints though.

I cant speak to Crackdown.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn that this thread was longer. Turns out this is another thread today about how MS ain't shit. Boy, they're really going through it huh?

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not ignoring those! but we can all agree there is a problem here, and if you want to compete with Sony, you have to at least match the quality of their products.
Sure, and I'll agree that ever since 2016, there's been an issue with non Forza games. MS really hasn't had a game that's reviewed really well. The best reviewed game since late 2015 is probably Halo Wars 2? That's a problem that MS needs to address, and yeah, they need to route out where the problem lies.

Clearly the issue isn't time, CD3 is sure proof of that. I feel like it is management. We were looking at this in a discord I'm not allowed to mention, but San Mateo studio, a studio that isn't really making their own games, has put their mittens on a lot of Sony first party games. There's also the Ice and Foster studios, who are helping out the first parties or second parties. So yeah, hte issue might be management if MS isn't dedicating that much love and care to the teams working on their IP's, and I'd assume they aren't.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Whew. MS has been ground zero for hot takes this week. This has been what, like the 2nd or 3rd thread this week with people "concerned" about MS' output.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Super Lucky's Tale, Recore and Ryse weren't made by Microsoft 1st Party studios...

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

This. You don't create great IPs by playing it safe. Microsoft has relied on the safety net of their franchises for far too long. It's why they are in third place.

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They have chosen some crappy studios for their 2nd party affairs, It's not a lack of talent because their inhouse studios are quite proven. For example, 343i or The Coalition would've made a much better Crackdown 3 than Sumo Digital. It's a management issue, they need better quality control.

To be fair, Halo: Infinite and Gears 5 don't look safe.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Talent and budget is probably it. People take for granted how amazing some of the game directors Sony and Nintendo have are.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Terry Myerson. He gone. Let's look forward.

You don't quadruple your development heads in 2 years if there's a lack of standards.

Search this forum. This topic has being re-written multiple times already.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Trying to make the underpowered Xbox One an "All In One Entertainment Center" made them lose focus on talent development in the gaming space. Gaming was just one spoke on the wheel they were focused on in 2013 and the momentum (or lack thereof) wasn't enough to sustain them into the present day.

Dec 31, 2017

Sea of Thieves 69
State of Decay 2 66
Super Lucky's Tale 64
Recore 63
Ryse 60

Ryse is definitely worth more than 60, because although short it's a great game. First time I hear it's bad, most people I know that have played it actually liked it.

Sea of Thieves has a big playerbase and tons of people liked it, while some might say it lacked content at launch, it should easily score close to 80 if not more right now. One of my top games this gen. For me it's an easy 9/10.

State of Decay isn't a bad game, it just lacks polish. Gameplay wise it is great, but it does need a bigger team to get it where it needs to be.

Recore I think it's worth a bit more, but it is pretty average.

I haven't played Super Lucky's Tale.

I've personally bought all those games (except for Super Lucky) and I haven't been disappointed at all with what I got. (same goes for Crackdown 3)

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
they are also responsible for gears 4 & forza horizon. it's mostly decision making. cd3 is a game that probably shouldve been canceled or rebooted, instead of bruteforced through to release.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Yeah that's not it. I doubt Halo and Gears are low budget, hell that failed Fable Legends game had a budget of 100M.

I think you missed the part where I said "most." You know, games like Crackdown 3, Recore, State of Decay 2, Super Lucky's Tale, Sea of Thieves, etc.

Also, Fable Legends isn't a good example because it only had that budget as a result of poor management and repeated delays. It was also canceled so we don't know if it would have been any good.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I'd say management, since the talent is there. I feel like some of their lower scoring games had some great potential, but management issues prevented them from reaching that.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's potentially a combination of all of the above, plus worse management, less ambition and less effective play testing. I'm not sure it has a lot to do with budget, and can't imagine games like CD3 and SoT that were in development for 4-5 years with teams of 100-200+, could constitute as low budget or lacking in financial investment.

I get the feeling that with certain tentpole titles, the other publishers simply tend to be a little more stringent with play testing and quality control, not to mention far more ambitious and forward thinking in terms of production values, gameplay design, overall level of polish etc. Sony and Nintendo, as well as many third party publishers, are constantly making cutting edge, stand out, GOTY candidate titles, and it seems Microsoft mostly isn't. That's not to say the other platform holders don't drop the ball and don't have duds, but certainly not near the consistency of Microsoft as of late.

I also think it probably doesn't help that Game Pass effectively now somewhat limits the expectation and amount of fallout from less ambitious or quality projects, especially among some of its most enthusiast fans/consumers.

After 6 years in to this generation, the only Xbox One console exclusives that will have hit 85 and over on meta will be the Forza titles, Cuphead, Ori and Titanfall. That is kind of shocking really, especially in comparison to the competition.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to give them a break lol.

nah, you don't need to give them a break. I think Phil Spencer himself would agree that first party is a major opportunity for Xbox, which is why MS has finally opened up the checkbook for acquisitions and new studios built from the ground up. Beyond that though, here's hoping they start taking some more risks. I actually think Sea of Thieves was a decent move in that direction, flawed as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.