• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I mean, with the huge library of NES and SNES titles Nintendo stopped adding new titles to Nintendo Online, missing some big releases like Earthbound in example.
Should we presume they won't add new titles in the future?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They've been adding new titles regularly every 3 months I thought. No reason to think that has ended.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has added the vast majority of first party titles, so yes, the games that will be added to the service are most likely done.

The handful that are missing like earthbound will probably appear at some point.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
First party wise they aren't really missing much. Just Earthbound and Super Mario RPG. Those two have always had issues but they will probably come eventually.

Third party wise I wouldn't expect too much more, we'll get some weirder stuff but publishers would rather sell their legacy titles in retro compilations.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
They've added some wonderful, oddball games that I'd never dreamed would get rereleased, so I'm halfway expecting crazy additions like Panic Restaurant or Little Samson down the line, but they're definitely getting closer to exhausting the library of games that are A.) non-licensed and B.) not viable for inclusion in their own collections (Mega Man, Castlevania, etc.)

But seriously, Vice: Project Doom and The Ignition Factor? Switch Online has some deep cuts.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
they should release the Satellaview F-Zero in this service.

ironically how a game that was originally distributed through an online network isn't being re-released through an online network. the game doesn't need a translation so that's no excuse.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I always forget this a part of Nintendo online, I guess it's just because I'm a bit younger and grew up on Nintendo consoles starting with N64, I wont personally be excited until those start getting added especially if they ever get to gameboy stuff.

I had access to the nes and snes but they were mainly to play duck hunt and smb occasionally.

Dec 21, 2020
Would be nice if pubs put their classic titles on the NSO service, things like Chronos Trigger, Final Fantasy 1-6 from SE for example.

But they aren't going to do that.

Oct 29, 2017
It's seriously insane how I've sat here at the Nintendo vc spigot since the Wii U days. I'm an idiot consumer and I'll always want more. N64 or bust

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always forget this a part of Nintendo online, I guess it's just because I'm a bit younger and grew up on Nintendo consoles starting with N64, I wont personally be excited until those start getting added especially if they ever get to gameboy stuff.

I had access to the nes and snes but they were mainly to play duck hunt and smb occasionally.
So you haven't played all of those snes rpgs? Some of which are considered the best of all time?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
As others have said, Nintendo basically threw out all their classics that they have access to without needing to license 3rd party titles. Earthbound Beginnings/Mother, Earthbound/Mother 2, and Super Mario RPG are really the last 3 and one of those is something Nintendo has to make a deal with Square to release (and the snes football game... lol). The remaining titles are either Japanese only (like FE2-5) or require some kinda peripheral and aren't an easy rom dump (duck hunt, yoshi's safari, mario paint, etc).

The 3rd party titles you'll continue to see are things that are really cheap to license for content (Jasco's games), or cost a bit more but the company is doing nothing with them (like Capcom's Breath of Fire titles).

I also wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo looks at the data and sees that 90% of people's time in NES and SNES online are just playing the super big classics that are already their like Super Mario Bros or Link To The Past. I imagine for the average consumer, you could probably cut half of the NES and SNES titles from the library and it wouldn't impact them. As long as they still have Donkey Kong Country and Kirby's Adventure to play they're golden.

At the end of the day you aren't paying $20 a year to access a netflix of classic titles, you're paying $20 to play online, and the classic games are just a bonus reward for people.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only two notable Nintendo titles that are missing are SMRPG and Earthbound (the latter which they're gonna drag until they add another platform).

I wouldn't expect any huge third party games on there since they've seemingly done just fine enough selling their own compilations and re-releases on eShop.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Would be nice if pubs put their classic titles on the NSO service, things like Chronos Trigger, Final Fantasy 1-6 from SE for example.

But they aren't going to do that.

i'm more interested in seeing niche/obscure games get curated on these services instead of the same marquee titles that have been played/re-released to death tbh.

Nintendo has basically released everything outside of SMRPG and Earthbound-- like the above post mentioned.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Stuff like the Mega-man, Contra and Castlevania series would have likely appeared if the platform holders hadn't put together those collections. Those are major games in the NES/SNES library. Something like Chrono Trigger I imagine Square would just rather sell individually as well.

What I don't understand is why they haven't moved onto the next system whether it be N64 or the Gameboy line. There's plenty of content to mine from those systems, the latter especially when you consider the entire line (G/GBC/GBA).

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
The vast majority of notable first party games have been released. That something like Earthbound has been rereleased before but not yet on Switch I take as a possible sign they have bigger plans for it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Given that they added four NES/SNES games last month, the question in the OP seems to have been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.