• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Nintendo the most anti-consumer company in the past 5 years of gaming?

• Nintendo

Votes: 106 44.2%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Sony

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • EA

Votes: 49 20.4%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Activision

Votes: 45 18.8%
  • Epic Games

Votes: 13 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2021
User Banned (1 week): trolling and platform warring, threadmaking privileges revoked
There is already a thread about whether it is the most anti consumer company of the big 3, but in my opinion that isn't as interesting a discussion because it is well.....kind of obvious at this point.

What I think is a much more interesting question is whether or not it is the most anti consumer company in gaming currently. For the sake of this discussion, please do not conflate workplace ethics and anti consumer. ActiBlizz is the clear winner of the most unethical company and the one I don't like the most, but this is a discussion about how their policies effect the average consumer directly not morally.

Now, to list out the current array of what I'd personally consider anti consumer foibles that Nintendo has pulled

1. Nintendo Switch online

Nintendo Switch online when launched for free for an entire year, and that was a good thing because it was and remains a truly mediocre service for anyone concerned with online, the point of the service, what the majority of consumers are actually paying for. Instead of actually addressing anything at all to do with connectivity issues in a console where the majority of owners don't so much as have an option for a built in option for an ethernet port, they eliminated the virtual console and tied a bunch of SNES games that most people have played or don't care much about to this sub service. I am not saying those games are bad, I am saying they are a poor justification for a yearly subscription and not what the majority of NSO users are paying for. So the question remains, what do NSO online players pay for? Cloud saves, fair enough, but also peer to peer connection with no servers being committed to helping online run smoothly at all. And boy, does the online not run smoothly. Mario maker, Mario 35th, basically any game requiring online but tetris has been a mess far too often, smash bros connection especially is laughably bad half the time and gets no much needed server support, it is just a truly horrible service as far as the online aspect goes.

Eliminating virtual console and tying it to the NSO sub only served to force people who didn't care about those games to pay a higher sum to a service that was only acceptable due to being free with a frustrating justification being given, and force those who do not are about online but do care about retro games to have to sub to an annual 20 fee in order to maintain them. Say if you really, really love super Metroid and yoshis island and you want to have the option to replay it once a year on your switch. At this point, that option has cost you 100 dollars if you've been playing Switch since it's launch.

2. Nintendo Switch online + expansion

Clear overlap with one so I'm not going to get into it, but the idea of charging an entire 30 dollars extra for an annual sub to emulate N64 games on a level far below what is available to people on PC and far below some of the options Nintendo themselves has given us in the past is just bad to put it nicely. If Sega games and Banjo really cost them that much (DOUBT) then okay, cool option for the purist, but really it just feels like they are taking advantage of their most loyal fans

3. Mario 3d all-stars debacle (limited release)

Replicating the Disney vault concept, which I believe basically everyone can accept is an anti-consumer way to produce false scarcity....but in some ways, far worse. Why do you ask? Because far, far more people have or had access to DvD players when a Disney vault announcement would come around, if you wanted to go all digital and buy Mario 3d all-stars but did not get your switch within the first 4 years of the consoles life cycle, too bad for you. In the future if you want a 3d all-stars copy, have fun getting overcharged for a used game. Not only that, but this was very conveniently announced when Switch pro rumors where at their height, and ended a few months prior to the Switch OLED announcement. It is also one of the only ways to play sunshine on modern console, and now you can't digitally. Sucks to suck loosers

now I'm not saying that they used 3d all stars in part to sell as much of the first version of the Switch prior to the OLED releasing but looking at the dates, I do find it suspicious.

4. The fire emblem 30th anniversary Shadow dragon and blade of light debacle (limited release)

Nintendo didn't get enough of pressuring their consumers with 3d all stars apparently, they had to do the same thing with fire emblem.
First ever release outside of Japan, first ever fan translation....oh, but you only have 4 months to buy it, we are going to end sales of this AND 3d all stars right before the cut off for our fiscal year, and we strongly suggest you buy it NOW, immediately whether you are positive you are interested or not if you ever want to have an option outside of getting a physical collectors edition for hundreds down the line.

Again, anti consumer

4. Shutting down online Melee tournaments during a Pandemic who's profits where going to charity

Look, I get that Nintendo is hard on piracy. That is their right. But to shut down and basically destroy a communities ability to have tournaments when the world was still in lockdown is cruel to people who have passionately played their game for literally two decades.....and frankly for reasons I wont go into here where a far better representation of their brand then the more modern Smash community. Oh, and on top of that, all profits where going to charity, likely due to trying to avoid such a situation but still for a good cause. Tone def and frankly messed up, especially when Melee is not in any way shape or form purchasable.

5. They no longer have the benefit of being the company without Gacha or Microstransactions

This one is pretty simple really. They have Mobile games with strong gacha mechanics on mobile, and they have first party games with microstransactions now such as kirby crash. Maybe it isn't their main business strategy (yet) but it shows a clear openness to profiting in this way, and people can can no longer claim they take the moral highroad as far as their business models go

6. 60 dollar ports of Wii U titles and the DKTF debacle

I get that the Wii U was a failure of epic proportions and those exclusives deserved a fair shake on Switch, but they literally took the 20 dollar version that was available on the Wii U down upon release of Tropical freeze on the Switch. That is almost comically evil because 1. those people had to have a Wii U! They are your biggest fans, just let them have that and 2. DKTF nor pikmin 3 nor any other Wii U port had the effort put into it that Mario kart 8 deluxe clearly had, yet where still released at a full fledged 60 dollar price point and remain there. It was not that their biggest fans simply got caught in the cross-fire of the Wii U's massive failings and the switch re-releases being low effort full price ports to earn back profit for those titles, they clearly showed they wanted to take advantage of those fans as much as possible by taking down DKTFs cheaper version that was only available to Wii U owners. It ironically brought a whole lot more attention to the price point then simply leaving it at 20 on wii u eshop ever would have

7. Nintendo went years without offering to fix joycon drift

It took an insane amount of outrage for them to fix joycon drift for free despite how apparent it was a problem from the get go, not changing their policies until late 2019. Now, this is is more confusing when account for the joycons costing an astounding estimated $90 to manufuncture making it the only component of the Switch they ever sold at a loss, but whether it is due to incompetence or mal intent, it was still a massive problem for years, and it is still an embarrassingly common occurrence/hassle for consumers to this day

8. Shutting Down Etika pro controllers who's profits where going to charity

Is it their legal right? Sure. Is it anti consumer/anti community to shut down the sale of controllers that where not being profitted on and where in memory of one of the most famous streamers and his recent suicide...Yes.

Now, there are a lot of other things I do not LIKE about Nintendo and how they have handled business with the Switch. I do not LIKE that a yoshi game that has the same theme playing for almost the entire thing is the same cost as BOTW without ever going down in price, but I respect it, and I respect my ability to not buy it which I wont. I will increasingly dislike how old their hardware feels if we don't get a Switch 2 in 2022 or early 2023. But These are not anti consumer. The things I listed above though clearly are.

I understand EA has microtransactions/gacha far worse then nintendo, actiblizz hasnt said a word on their utterly and completely broken diablo 2 lobby system, only tried to fix cheating in CoD when it became a financial problem for them, stuff like that. But a lot of the things that gamers tend to hate such as overpriced releases, gacha, unfinished releases with DLC to finish it out, these are all things Nintendo has now thrown it's hand in too. As evil as these corporations can be in regard to other matters such crunch and employee rights I can't think personally of a company as blatantly almost mean towards their own community as Nintendo has been in the last few years.

So, is Nintendo the most anti-consumer company in the last 5 years of gaming?

If not, please list your counter points, thank you for your consideration. Please be excited (to answer this poll)

Last edited:

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
Obviously yes, Nintendo is the company that cares less for their costumers, by far.

They know that their consumers will continue buying their products so they don't even have to pretend to care.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that Etika thing a lie with zero proof the money was going to charity?

Jun 24, 2021
The term "anti-consumer" used to mean something but it's since lost all meaning by the constant abuse it gets. No. Nintendo isn't even close to having that title. Not in a world where Activision Blizzard, EA, Konami, and Ubisoft exist.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Oh please.

Maybe when Ubi, EA, ActiBlizz and Konami aren't around.

Maybe.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo took the shitty groundwork that EA and Activision setup, and went all in on every single practice

So yeah, the worst for gaming, EA and Activision also suck ass, literally inventing most of the anti consumer practices we see in gaming today

Also every company does this shit to some extent, their goal is to make money and protect their brand

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to quietly vote EA for the FIFA shenanigans and leave without commenting on the term "anti-consumer"

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Of the Big 3, yes, and it's not a contest.

EDIT: Also, Nintendo isn't anti-consumer, but they don't give a fuck about you as a customer and they never did (even in the 80s). Financials > Fans

Last edited:

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the fact that they still haven't fixed joycon drift is a clear sign they don't give a fuck

and they still have the audacity to charge $90 for a pair

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
I dunno. Nintendo has been brutal the past few years, especially with the pricing of their ports and nil-effort remasters.

Charging more than you would like for a game or not making enough changes, in your opinion, in a a remaster is not 'anti consumer' is it? Words are supposed to mean things

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Half of these aren't even anti-consumer. Edit: Fucked up here. $60 Wii U ports, shit online gaming features and limited releases aren't ideal but in no way anti-consumer. Value is subjective, after all. Please, you guys, learn to use this word properly. I beg of you.

Between this thread and what you have said in the other I begin to see a certain pattern.

What's this? lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'd still go with Activision. With the exception of NSO, Nintendo still put out high quality products. They just try to squeeze as much money out of that as possible.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
They're allowed to get away with things others can't, but in some sense they've earned it through pedigree and longevity.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
What a thread. I think Nintendo still doesn't care about vocal miniscule segments but rather caters for significant masses and deeply cares about their enjoyment.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Anti-consumer isn't a term to be used for shitty practices. It's not an exact 1:1, but I like to use UDAAP as an example. UDAAP is an acronym for "unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts & practices". When people mention the term "anti-consumer" on Era, I like to evaluate what they are describing by similar criteria.

Using your second example:
"Clear overlap with one so I'm not going to get into it, but the idea of charging an entire 30 dollars extra for an annual sub to emulate N64 games on a level far below what is available to people on PC and far below some of the options Nintendo themselves has given us in the past is just bad to put it nicely. If Sega games and Banjo really cost them that much (DOUBT) then okay, cool option for the purist, but really it just feels like they are taking advantage of their most loyal fans"
What exactly is Nintendo doing wrong here? It's shitty that they're charging far more money than it would take to profit off of this decision, how is this any different from any luxury brand on the planet selling items at higher mark-ups? You're presented with a product or service, a price point, and all of the benefits that come with that purchase. It's not anti-consumer just because you're not sold on it.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
While I think paid online is a monopolistic behaviour that should be completely eliminated through either forced competition or enormous fines for abuse pf dominant position, the rest doesn't seem particularly relevant.

People expect old games to be sold at low prices for *reasons* and I don't particularly care about the celebratory stuff, especially since the mario 3d all stars box is still available in most stores I've been to

Edit: I'd forgotten Joycon Drift. Joycon Drift is bad and Nintendo should've acted sooner

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo certainly doesn't have the greatest track record, but my vote is going to go toward the company who messed up so bad with lootboxes that they brought greater scrutiny on the entire industry (EA's Battlefront II debacle).

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Nintendo releases generally aren't riddled with microstransactions, loot boxes and "pay to win" mechanics when that's where the rest of the industry decided to go years ago.

Even when the Wii U fell flat on its face they didn't stoop to that level in an effort to recoup their losses.

Edit: I also get the feeling that the OP has some odd vendetta against Nintendo judging by their recent replies.

Last edited:

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Anti-Consumer vs Preservation is the match of the millennium for buzzwords gamers don't understand but are running into the ground by using as shorthand for other things.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Some of your points are "things costing more than you think they should", which is not anti-consumer.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Is It Anti-Consumer, A Gamer Flowchart

Is this product perfect in every way?

No --------> Yes, Anti-Consumer

Yes ------->

Is this product dirt cheap?

No --------> Yes, Anti-Consumer

Yes -------> Eh, not a bad price but I'll wait for a sale

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The most anti-consumer company? Nah. I think Nintendo is just supremely bad at reading the room. They also know that they have enough fans that any mistake they make will largely wind up being ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.