• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I mean you have a plethora of legendary IPs over there and no one, even inside Konami seems to give a fuck. What gives?

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
I think the problem is that no one is interested in buying the company, maybe only its IPs, as the company's main income comes from pachinkos and nobody wants in on that.

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
I am as well. We could all, like all Era members, we could pool in all our resources and maybe buy them. That way we tell them to make whatever we want.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
They are probably happy and making enough just doing pachinko and riding on past glories with the odd game (And tying old IP's into pachinko).

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I think the problem is that no one is interested in buying the company, maybe only its IPs, as the company's main income comes from pachinkos and nobody wants in on that.

Yeah, thats probably the main problem, they have too much in other areas that no one wants to take. Also, Konami uses their IPs in their other areas like the pachinko division so they aren't just going to give up that. Not to mention in the past year they have been pulling profit overall so it probably inflates their price.

Does Konami still even have studios and developers for consoles and PC ?

Pretty sure they own the Yugioh series which should still be profitable especially since they have a mobile game out. As well as they do put out PES Soccer games which while nowhere near FIFA levels, still sell a decent amount.

Oct 26, 2017
Most of Konami's business is outside gaming nowadays. IP isn't that valuable if there isn't skilled people in place to actually make anything from it. And buying Konami just to get rid of all their non-gaming stuff and get some of your own studios to make a new Suikoden or even Metal Gear would be the stupidest business move ever.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's a question of what they'd be selling/what the buying party would want.

We all know Konami for MGS and Silent Hill but they make the majority of their revenue from mobile titles in Japan (things like Yu-Gi-Oh and eFootball on iOS and Android) and from trading cards, amusements/pachinko and esports.

They're a company with fingers in tons of pies.

Even just talking about their gaming IP… what is Metal Gear worth to an Xbox/Tencent/etc without Kojima? What is Silent Hill really worth? The latest entries didn't set the world on fire. What is eFootball worth? Bomberman in 2022? It's not like there is tons of talent there making gaming blockbusters at the moment. You'd be buying IP and I think it's debatable how much that's worth. Maybe worth more to Konami to retain for the licensing rights.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They have ventures other than video gaming. They have a plant in Vegas specializes in gambling machines, who would need that?

May 29, 2018
I'm no lawyer but I have difficulty believing that a company like Microsoft can just come in and start buying Japanese studios. The Japanese government I'm sure has their own monopoly laws. And they're surely not as lenient as the FCC. I think this is why Japanese studios haven't been bought yet

wilstreak

Dec 1, 2017
I just want Suikoden.

unbelievable all those Chinese studio game developer and still no game inspired by Suikoden/water margin

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Konami was making bank lately so im not sure they're in any need of a buyer.
Maybe if the pachinko market crashes lol

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've seen the acquisitions are also about manpower, not just IP. Konami doesn't have the developers needed anymore. Their main developers are focused on Japanese markets, and mobile ones at that.

And that's not even going into the gambling side of their business anyway.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
they have stopped making games now. I really want another Castlevania old school game from them. I doubt anyone will buy konami at this point.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
For all we know, all the major game publishers/studios might be getting constant buyout offers.
It's just that we only know about these things when they are in their later stages.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm no lawyer but I have difficulty believing that a company like Microsoft can just come in and start buying Japanese studios. The Japanese government I'm sure has their own monopoly laws. And they're surely not as lenient as the FCC. I think this is why Japanese studios haven't been bought yet

Saudi Arabia don't care

www.gamesindustry.biz

Crown prince of Saudi Arabia's foundation to buy 51% stake in SNK

The Mohammad bin Salman Charity Foundation is set to take a controlling stake in Japanese games firm SNK.The not-for-pr…

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
These companies need to want to be purchased. It is easy to say someone should buy konami, Capcom, etc etc but these companies want to have to be purchased first. For all we know, someone wanted to buy konami and konami laughed at them.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Konami's main revenue is coming from mobile these days.

They have a domestic baseball game that does huge numbers, alongside Yu-Gi-Oh! and eFootball leading internationally.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
they have stopped making games now.

Erm, that's not true.

capsule_616x353.jpg

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
You'd be paying billions for literally just IPs (even if valuable). Their dev team is skeleton mobile crew.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Any one buying them is getting themselves a whole gambling buisness. That's not something anyone would swoop in to buy with all the legal stuff that comes with it. Konami also doesn't have any important dev teams to help the buyer start gettting rite to business

Oct 25, 2017
For what, Metal Gear? An IP without its eccentric director or iconic studio? The rest of the IPs wouldn't be worth the billions they'd cost.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm going to guess the price is too high for what they have.

That and beyond mgs the vast majority of their franchises are irrelevant to younger gamers and heck even a lot of older ones at this point.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Outside of some aging IPs, Konami really have no major value. Strip out all the pachinko trash and they hardly have anything worth chasing.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
www.resetera.com

Konami revenue up 12% in nine-month financials; Planning to continue selling NFTs News

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-02-03-konami-revenue-up-in-nine-month-financials

Konami's digital entertainment segment (which includes games) performed well, with a 6.4% increase in revenue compared to the same period the previous year, reaching ÂĄ154 billion ($1.3 billion). Operating profit for the segment increased 9% as well, to ÂĄ55.5 billion ($483 million).

In the console and PC space, the report noted the good performances of Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 4th Heart and Power Pro Kun Pocket R on Switch, with 2020's Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban continuing to deliver strong sales as well thanks to the release of a free update.

On mobile, the highlights included strong performances from Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links and eFootball PES 2021 globally, while Professional Baseball Spirits and Jikkyou Pawafuru Puro Yakyu dominated the Japanese market.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy their IPs without having to deal with their gambling stuff?
Then again, they heavily use their IPs in their gambling business, so they do need access to the IPs...
They just don't care about gaming anymore (besides Yu Gi Oh it seems).

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
It would be one thing to just want their IPs and another to buyout the company. If an interested party is only interested in making video games then it's a bad buy considering how little to no talent they have.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
AFAIK Konami is more than just a game company. They also own gym chains, a health insurance company and other things in Japan.
Probably it would be a complicated buyout, even if they want to be bought.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Idk if they want to be bought. I don't think they want to sell off their IPs either considering they use them in their pachislot machines. Aside from gaming they're a functional company that seems to be able to handle themselves financially.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We don't need threads like this that are based off absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.