• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Outside of Minecraft and the holy trinity, we haven't seen too much success for new IP's this gen. Sea of Thieves is financially a success and has gotten better but is still recovering from its launch, and we can forget about ReCore, Quantum Break, Crackdown etc

Ori is not only the best new IP MS put out this gen but overall got stellar reviews and built a large enough audience and did well enough financially do warrant a sequel, so much that it's become one of MS big games for 2019 (along with Gears 5)

A few interesting things

1. This game was the second game to be shown at E3 following Halo Infinite which is a huge deal
2. Phil and Shannon love the franchise
3. Its arguably the best Metroidmania game this gen (the only other contender may be Hollow Knight)
4. Ori as an actual character is beloved and could be a potential mascot for Xbox
5. This is the first time Microsoft is putting their IP on another platform in a loooong time, since those Rare games on the GBA/DS. This is barring xCloud/Gamepass, an actual native game
(I don't count Minecraft because of the nature of the game being on every platform already)

I'm not sure what Moon will do after Ori 2 but I imagine that they'll keep making games for Microsoft but also allow them on the Switch like the supposed Ori port. I would imagine Moon would want MS to bankroll a new IP as well

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's certainly the best one. Ori 2 is my most anticipated game this year (Sekiro close behind).

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Most important? I mean it's probably my favorite game to come out of the Xbox One-era of Microsoft, but how much is it costing them vs. how much of a return are they getting? It gets them a critically acclaimed game on their hardware and that's great, but "most important" is an extremely odd choice of words.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Ori sure seems to be one of the more successful new IP's for MS this generation. Is it the most important though? That's a big call, but then it doesn't have much competition at this point.

I don't mean that as a dig at MS either, but they haven't had the best run with new IP's this generation. To be fair it's not for lack of trying though.

DoublePayje

Oct 29, 2017
1. No, specifically not.
2. They love all franchises.
3. Debatable, and the people mentioned at No. 2 know
4. First part yes, second part no. Random people in the Xbox universe have no fucking clue who Ori is. The fat guy? The little light? You get it (no you dont)
5. This is Microsoft starting their service decade.

Bye.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly the best, but not the system pusher they need. It doesn't appeal to the masses.

Ori is in my top 5 this gen and can't wait for the sequel though.

Jan 31, 2019
I mean personally its the one I'm most interested in, but "Most Important" can mean very different things depending on who is asking.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
People keep shitting out that lame potential mascot bulletpoint as if Xbox, that has Halo and fucking Minecraft, needs that

Status
Not open for further replies.