• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's going to happen to Blizzard's PC launcher?

• Keep it alive

Votes: 58 16.2%
  • Take it out back

Votes: 217 60.8%
  • Change the branding to MS related/Game Pass centric

Votes: 76 21.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Question is pretty much the thread title.

Do you see Microsoft continuing the Blizzard launcher after acquisition completes, do you see them making it a Microsoft PC launcher, or do you see them just throwing it away altogether and continue the Steam and MS Store approach? I personally don't see them keeping up the launcher, to me it seems like they're happy with their Game Pass/Steam pincer approach, but at the same time CoD on the PC as well as the classic Blizzard franchises are so associated with that launcher and branding that I can see an argument for them keeping it going.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
They have yet to shut down Bethesda launcher. And no they will push for Windows Store because they already have that installed on more PCs than there is probably all other launcher combined.

Crax

May 21, 2018
Please make it so. The Battle.net launcher actually downloads and updates my games when I tell it to.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Games developed after the merger will launch in WinStore and other PC platforms.
Games which are in Bnet right now will probably remain there, with some possible exemptions being GAAS titles (Warzone, WOW) which will migrate to WinStore and possibly other platforms.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's either going to be quietly phased out like the Bethesda Launcher, or it's just gonna be for Blizzard games.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
They have Windows Store, Bethesda Launcher i and not Battle.net and I doubt they are going to maintain the other two as there's no point, it will be cheaper to move the games to Windows Store and close the others in the long run.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Needs to be the other way around. Xbox Game Launcher (or PC Game Pass Launcher or whatever Microsoft calls it these days) is shitty and it didn't get any better in Windows 11. Microsoft should just dump their whole solution and go with Battle.net.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's not a bad launcher when compared to EGS, Ubisoft Connect, EA Origin (Both versions) and the Rockstar launcher. I don't mind it staying around for a while, but I do hope it gets phased out to consolidate into the Xbox App & Steam instead of being mandatory to use

Oct 27, 2017
just re name it but for fucks SAKKKKKKKE i dont want anything like the fucking MS store... or the shitty performance or bugs or anything like that... :/

or just move them all to steam .. ;)

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately shocked there are even sub-20% of people that still want to keep this thing around.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Activate dark mode and rebrand Battle.net as the Xbox App, leave the Microsoft Store wholesale.

OP
OP
SunshinePuppies

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Activate dark mode and rebrand Battle.net as the Xbox App, leave the Microsoft Store wholesale.

Yeah I can see this happening, this seems like the easiest solution that allows MS to smoothly get a good working PC launcher and be able to keep a larger cut than they would have with Steam. I just hope if they go this route they don't keep games exclusive to this launcher.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh it's a pretty good launcher. Much, much snappier than say the Xbox one, then again it also only has a handful of games on it.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Blizzard launcher has too big of a community to go away. It'll remain optional but current(?) and future requested games are definitely coming to STEAM and Windows Store as well.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
The deal won't close until some time in 2023. It will take several years after that for Activision to become more integrated into Microsoft as an operating division. It's been a year since the Zenimax acquisition closed and they are still operating largely independently, but that will surely change over time.

It's tempting to ask these questions today, but they are years away from being answered. Microsoft doesn't even know.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Very much doubt you will see any change in that space for Blizzard. They are not going to change all their back and front-end infra for the sake of change.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Depends how much it is integrated into current title but i can see it getting opt-out in the next few years

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think with the resources available to them via the teams that work on:

* Bethesda Launcher
* BattleNet
* Xbox App

They'd be able to build a single app that doesn't completely suck

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
it's better than the MS Store, so I'd hope they use some of the tech there to improve that

It'll survive though, like the bethesda launcher

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
It stays, but atrophies until in about five years when they do an Account Migration to Microsoft Accounts.

Just like with the Minecraft Launcher.

I fully expect the same to happen with Bethesda.Net accounts after all their 3rd Party obligations currently in progress are concluded.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Keep it alive. The MS store is a GOD DAMNED ABOMINATION. Nothing but bullshit dealing with that. MS has been so fucking incompetent with their storefronts that I just can not trust them

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
For all things holy take it down and put all Blizzard/Activision games on ms store and Steam.

The less launchers there is the better!

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Another question that is not knowable now, won't happen until well after the acquisition which doesn't even close for a year if it does, and is unlikely to be decided at MS yet. Obviously the launcher does not serve much strategic purpose for MS so my guess is they will just let it atrophy as they integrate with Gamepass. But this will take years and I do not think it possible to say much of substance on the topic yet

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I expect eventually they'll merge everything into the same launcher, but that could take years.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
I'll go against the grain and say literally any launcher is better than the Xbox app, so I would be ok with it. At the very least I won't have to format my PC when it randomly decides that games can't be uninstalled.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think with the resources available to them via the teams that work on:

* Bethesda Launcher
* BattleNet
* Xbox App

They'd be able to build a single app that doesn't completely suck
Each new app appearing in this space seem to suck more than any of the previous ones. It's a curse or something.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's the best launcher that's not Steam so I could totally see Microsoft using it as their future PC game client.

That being said, whatever choice they make I sincerely hope they'll put all old/new Activision-Blizzard games on Steam. That would honestly solve a ton of headache and keep everyone happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.