• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nature would ask why waste valuable energy on being attractive if you don't want people to be attracted to you?

So, yes.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
Well different people find different people attractive so in a way everyone is attractive in some sort of way to someone else? Which means EVERYONE IS GETTING LAID!

OP
OP
Threekola Miroswish
Feb 15, 2018
Well different people find different people attractive so in a way everyone is attractive in some sort of way to someone else? Which means EVERYONE IS GETTING LAID!

31375.jpg

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have it backwards. Attractiveness isn't an objective characteristic, it's something humans ascribe to others for that purpose.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the only purpose of life. To reproduce and keep going. It's no different in most other species that have selective mating.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's also why sex feels so good. It's all a trick. Which is why I use protection to overcome my primal chains.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I mean what other reasons would there be besides procreation? Some ideas are worth contemplating but I'm not sure this is one of them. No offense meant to you.

Nov 26, 2018
Who cares? Attractiveness gets one only so far. There are other things other than physical attractiveness that make one more likely to mate.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
Mm, I'd say no. We are attracted to humans, because we're human. Being with other humans means safety, food, cooperation and all that and we wouldn't hang out with others if we found them repulsive.

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah dude, it's the midichlorians or something. Everything is evolving towards some end, independent of what we think of as "us," but what is it? What's the point? Won't know until a lot of boning.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes of course. We are animals like every other species. Our only scientific purpose is to pass on our genes and ensure our survival.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Attractiveness is a concept that is human-relative since we're the ones that define it. I'm sure a shit-monster alien would find us all disgusting to look at.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yes. Because we have evolved past making screeching noises and funny dances to prove our prospect as a mate, we now use our physical beauty as a measure for ones worth. Unfortunately human beings are idiots, so we use it for prejudice on several levels as well.

OP
OP
Threekola Miroswish
Feb 15, 2018
The majority of humans select a mate because they find them hot

Most of the animal kingdom selects partners because they kick up the most fuss and make themselves the most available

We are different

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't physical attractiveness based on indicators of good/strong genes? I.e. we find things attractive that would be beneficial for our offspring to have, at least partially?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It's more that it's a convenient shorthand for communicating some form of genetic fitness. That can in turn be weaponized for differential reproductive success. (There are strategies around that, though.) Of course, you can't make attraction too strict or you risk extinction through limiting reproduction or end up with a population without members that might have certain resistances.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then how come we still got ugly people?

Attractiveness isn't an objective advantage. In other conditions or environment one's ugliness could become one's attractiveness and vice versa. Remember evolution isn't a straight, unidirectional line.

Status
Not open for further replies.