• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this "sentiment" from western media outlets and certain groups almost every time a generation transition is happening that this time Sony is poised to fall and lose their position. Question is, what would that benefit from games perspective?
Is this generation bad?
Were PS1/2/end of 3 bad gaming output wise?

Unless you absolutely hate Sony systems, I don't quite understand what would their imaginary downfall bring. Other systems will be trucking along just fine, they are not in danger.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just the underdog syndrome. People don't want Sony to fail, it just makes for a better narrative if they do. The media, obviously, is all about the narrative.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The market leader often gets a bit arrogant and dicks around with journos so some might be happy for that to happen.

Also shifts make for good copy

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
No, but it makes people click the article when you have doom and gloomy headlines for the company leading the industry.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this "sentiment" from western media outlets and certain groups almost every time a generation transition is happening that this time Sony is poised to fall and lose their position. Question is, what would that benefit from games perspective?
Is this generation bad?
Were PS1/2/end of 3 bad gaming output wise?

Unless you absolutely hate Sony systems, I don't quite understand what would their imaginary downfall bring. Other systems will be trucking along just fine, they are not in danger.
More clicks basically. Going against the grain brings in more eyes.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Controversial articles get more clicks, that's what I boil it down to.

That and the media loves drama. And the idea of king Sony falling while underdog Xbox surges is more exciting than simply continued Playstation domination.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
unless you're a corporate bootlicker or significant shareholder, you should be neither happy nor upset about any one player leading the industry

Deleted member 1607

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a problem if it happens. I have issues with Sony on some fronts for sure but they are generally very passionate about making great games and having good hardware.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
If they lead the next gen, they will obviously abruptly stop creating great games. It seems clear to me, at least if I'm to believe Era.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I like seeing consoles be successful. Competition is great, but if we have a product that sells over 100 million units every generation, I think it's a phenomenal status quo for video games.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Not if they consistently knock it out of the park with a handful of "generation-defining" games again next-generation. Games rule all and they had some of the best games of this generation only on their platform and therefore deserved the dominant success they enjoyed. If the games are lackluster next generation and they still dominate, that's terrible for the industry, but I really don't expect that to be the case.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
All Three of them have shown arrogance when they are doing great and fuck up the next generation
With the PS3, Wii U, Xbox One initial plans etc.
I guess it's people predicting the same pattern

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
What you are noticing is called yellow journalism. Hyperbolic statements to gain clicks/views

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why would there be something wrong with that?

leave the engagement-driven media out of it, they're just doing engagement-driven media things

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I just want a sustainable healthy industry with healthy consumer friendly platforms who offer each other enough competition that the value for us consumers goes up. "Who's in first" is a talking point for those that enjoy the sport of mega corporation plastic wars. It's a tired dying sport. Let it go.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So many of the podcasts I listen to talk about how they're Xbox heads, and it seems so out of touch with my experience as a regular person. Everyone I know who games has a PS4 and almost nobody has an Xbox.

The idea that "Sony is on the ropes" or whatever going into the next generation is so bizarre. They're the clear industry leader, and they show no sign of weakness right now.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
They will only lead again if they bring out another good console with lots of great games, so thats fine by me

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
As the near unanimous responses to this thread indicates, this is just something that always happens near the console shift to drum up some drama and intrigue. There's little to be gained to have a thread about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.